AFF Kai Lords

Slloyd14
Site Admin

AFF Kai Lords

Post by Slloyd14 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:18 pm

I can't believe I've never thought of this one.

What skills/talents do Kai Lords get if they were using AFF stats?

I went through the list of Kai disciplines that Kai Lords start with and looked for AFF analogues.

In case you don't know, all of Joe Dever's works have been made available for free in multiple formats at Project Aon.

The disciplines from Flight from the Dark are here.

On with the disciplines

Weaponskill

Very straightforward - give the character a skill with a weapon. I hope they are all this easy.

AFF equivalent: A skill with a weapon.

Healing

The Kai Lord can restore 1 Endurance per section without a combat. This ability only works on them. However, this is still an awesome ability and, according to multiple people [urlhttp://projectaon.proboards.com/thread/537/ranking-kai-disciplines]this forum[/url], the best discipline. In this form, it's probably a gamebreaker. However, AFF has a more balanced version of an ability that gives stamina no matter what - the Fast Healer talent - 2 stamina a day.

AFF equivalent: Fast Healer talent.

Camouflage

Enables a Kai Lord to blend in with their surroundings - either country or city. Sounds like a cross between Sneaking and Disguise.

AFF equivalent: Sneaking and Disguise skills.

Hunting

The Kai Lord can always find food in the wild, apart from desert or wasteland and can move stealthily when stalking prey.

AFF equivalent: Hunting and Fishing skills (with a bit of Sneaking). A Kai master may obtain the Survivor talent.

Sixth Sense

Warns of imminent danger. Also reveals the true purpose of a stranger or strange object. This is a really complicated one, as it covers a lot of things. I don't think it allows the revealing of much information, just whether something is dangerous or not.

AFF equivalent: Awareness skill, Second Sight skill, Magic Lore. This also covers Combat Reactions talent, the Light Sleeper talent, the Attuned talent, the Honesty Minor spell and the ESP spell.
I think the ESP spell covers the whole purpose of a stranger thing, or maybe even a toned down version where you just sense whether they are dangerous or not in a 2m range. The Second Sight skill and Magic Lore skills cover the objects. Masters can go for the talents (there are 33!)

Tracking

The Kai Lord can go the correct way, find someone in a town or city and read the secrets of tracks.

AFF equivalent: Hunting, Navigation and City Lore (as it allows you to find a person of a particular trade even in an unfamiliar city).

Mind shield

It gets a lot clearer that Kai Lords use psionics rather than magic (until they get to Kai grand master).

AFF equivalent: The Mind shield ability from Stellar adventures. There is no Fantasy version. It could be a talent that provided a bonus to avoid certain spells such as:

Minor spells: Attraction, Honesty, Inebriate, Mistake, Repulsion, Stutter.
Wizard spells: Befuddle, fear, Peace, weakness(?), ESP, Sleep, Starry Orb, Command,
Sorcery spells: LAW, DUM, DIM, TEL, GAK, SAP, GOD, NAP,
Priest abilities: Incite, Slangg ability, Tanit ability

Mindblast

Increases your combat skill, but I think it works better by reducing opponents' combat skills.

AFF equivalent: The weakness spell.

Animal Kinship

Allows the Kai Lord to communicate with some animals and guess the intentions of others.

AFF equivalent: The Animal Lore skill the speak with animals spell.

Mind over Matter

Allows the Kai Lord to move small objects with their mind.

AFF equivalent: The Animate spell or the Telekenesis ability from Stellar Adventures.

Also, you could include several terrain lore skills to cover hunting, tracking and camouflage. The Kai Lords can use their abilities at will without draining any points.

So a Kai Lords with all 10 abilities have the following skills/talents/spell abilities.

Skills: Weaponskill, Sneaking, Disguise, Hunting, Fishing, Navigation, Magic Lore, Second Sight, City Lore, Animal Lore.
Talents: Fast Healer
Spell-like abilities (at will): ESP, Weakness, Animate Speak to Animals

You could turn Kai disciplines into a psionic tradition. In which case, here are the powers:

Physical Adept powers: Telekenesis (Mind over Matter), Boost Skill (general), Heal Self (Healing, to replace the fast healer talent)
Academic Psioniscist: Mindshield (Mindshield), Aura Reading (Sixth Sense), Precognition (Sixth Sense)
Wild Psionics: Communicate (goes with Camouflage and Animal Kinship)
Dark Power: Weakness (Mindblast)

This means, that if you use the psionic talents, the Kai Lord has to learn 10 mundane skills and 8 psychic skills. Since a human starts with 9 skills + City Lore + any stealth or movement skill (which covers a few above). They need to put points into Psionics as well as skill and stamina, so a starting character will not be a fully fledge Kai master yet (which is fine).

Options for a Kai Master:

Talents: Light sleeper, Combat Reactions, Survivor, Fast Healer, Attune, Weapon Master
Other skills: More weapon skills, More terrain skills, Healing, Leadership,

Kai Master Psionic skills
Physical Adept: Impossible Moves, Levitation
Academic Psionicist: Telepathy, Control Animals, Astral Projection, Scrying
Mental Healer: Energy Medicine
Wild Psionics: block Damage

I'm not going into Kai Grand Master territory because that is just super high powered. As well as two psionic traditions, they will also know wizard magic.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Re: AFF Kai Lords

Post by Slloyd14 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:11 pm

Or maybe instead of actual Kai Lord's, we can have an AFF version of "warrior monks". They start learning a set of mundane skills and after that, learn some magical abilities that set them apart.

Mundane skills: weaponskill, hunting, fishing, sneaking, disguise, healing, awareness, second sight, magic lore, navigation, city lore, animal lore, minor magic.

Advanced skills: leadership, battle tactics, ride, mounted combat, herb lord, language, Dodge.

Magical skills (not sure which type of magic yet):

Heal self 1/day or fast healing
Resistance to poison/disease/fear/fire/cold/lightning
Danger sense
Impossible moves psychic ability on permanently (bonus to dodge, jump, climb, acrobatics)
Permanent languages spell
Permanent speak with animals spell
Know North
Sense magic

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

LordArioch
Adventurer

Post by LordArioch » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:57 am

They would likely be far too over-powered. One would have to limit the abilities of a new Hero and then slowly permit more skills/talents/etc. in the course of development, IMO.

Didn't Joe Dever design the Kai after the Jedi? :mrgreen:

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:31 am

LordArioch wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:57 am
They would likely be far too over-powered. One would have to limit the abilities of a new Hero and then slowly permit more skills/talents/etc. in the course of development, IMO.

Didn't Joe Dever design the Kai after the Jedi? :mrgreen:
I'm sure he did.

They are overpowered. I think the AFF version of Kai Lord's would just learn a wide variety of mundane skills before learning their magic. I think instead of static immunities, they would just get bonuses, such as +1 bonus to resist poison, disease etc. and half damage if they fail. Or they age at half the rate or they get +1 to jump, acrobatics etc.

Or maybe Kai magic could be a priest magic version that they only learn after learning the non magic skills to a required level.

I could make a list of Kai minor spells that they would learn too.

I think mundane skills --> minor spells --> priest magic is the way to go.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:25 pm

Right, I've decided that the AFF "Kai" should actually be an offshoot of the church of Telak. I think Telak is the closest god to Kai. This could be an order of scouts for Telak who, when they get more powerful, become leaders and generals. At first, they learn nonmagical skills, but the masters learn priest magic for Telak.

Telak scout novice

The Telak scout novice learns the following skills to the following level and then moves up to be an acolyte.

Weaponskill 1, Dodge 1, Awareness 1, Etiquette 1, Secret Signs 1, Religion Lore - Telak 1,

Telak scout Acolyte

The Telak scout acolyte learns the following skills to the following level and then moves up to be a Journeyman.

Weaponskill 1, Dodge 1, Awareness 1, Etiquette 1, Secret Signs 1, Religion Lore - Telak 1,

Disguise 1, Sneaking 1, Healing 1, Hunting 1, City Lore (any) 1, Navigation 1

Telak scout Journeyman

The Telak scout Journeyman learns the following skills to the following level and then moves up to be a Master.

Weaponskill 2, Dodge 2, Awareness 2, Etiquette 1, Secret Signs 1, Religion Lore - Telak 1,

Disguise 2, Sneaking 2, Healing 2, Hunting 2, City Lore (any) 2, Navigation 2

Magic - Minor 1, Con 1, Herb Lore 1, Leadership 1, Magic Lore 1, Second Sight 1,

Telak scout Master

The Telak scout Master learns the following skills to the following level then they become archmasters.

Weaponskill 3, Dodge 3, Awareness 3, Etiquette 3, Secret Signs 3, Religion Lore - Telak 3,

Disguise 2, Sneaking 2, Healing 2, Hunting 2, City Lore 2, Navigation 2

Magic - Minor 2, Con 2, Herb Lore 2, Leadership 2, Magic Lore 1, Second Sight 1,

Magic - Priestly 1 (Telak), Battle Tactics 1, Stewardship 1

Telak scout Archmaster

The Telak scout Archmaster learns the following skills to the following level then they become a Grand master.

Weaponskill 3, Dodge 3, Awareness 3, Etiquette 3, Secret Signs 3, Religion Lore - Telak 3,

Magic - Minor 2, Con 2, Herb Lore 2, Leadership 2, Magic Lore 2, Second Sight 2,

Magic - Priestly 2 (Telak), Battle Tactics 2, Stewardship 2

Telak scout Grand master

The Telak scout Grand master learns the following skills:

Weaponskill 3, Dodge 3, Awareness 3, Etiquette 3, Secret Signs 4, Religion Lore - Telak 4,

Magic - Minor 2, Con 3, Herb Lore 2, Leadership 3, Magic Lore 2, Second Sight 2,

Magic - Priestly 4 (Telak), Battle Tactics 3, Stewardship 3

Craft - Weaponsmithing 4, Magic - Enchanting 4,

Note that these are the minimum requirements to go up a level. A Telak scout may choose to improve something that they are interested in above that level before they go to the next level. This is the equivalent of a Kai lord choosing all psychic skills or all mundane skills etc.

Telak Scout minor spells

Weather Protection
Find North
Nose Block
Know Time
Repellant
Attraction
repulsion
Indifference
Charm Animal
Charm Plant
Sober
Detect Disease
Mistake
Coin Flip
Hear
Honesty
Pied Piper
Secrete

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:19 pm

Here is a cleaner version of the Telak Rangers:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nYu6WI ... sp=sharing