Dodge skill - overpowered?

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Dodge skill - overpowered?

Post by Slloyd14 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:58 pm

It seems that the dodge skill is very versatile and powerful compared to other skills.

It can be used in combat to increase a hero's attack strength by 1 in the next round. This means that if a hero has a high dodge skill and has all the time in the world for combat then they can effectively fight at +1 in that combat for having a dodge skill. (Dungeoneer pg 159)

A hero who can use magic can also cast a spell in the next combat round after dodging an attack so a hero with dodge and a powerful attack spell like Lightning blast would not be able to be defeated in combat even with the skill penalty from magic.

Secondly, dodge can be used to avoid a lot of spells such as fire bolt instead of a test for luck. This means that a hero with dodge can easily overcome situations such as the one in Dungeoneer's Tower of the Sorcerer where the hero has to dodge four of Xorton Throg's 'force bolts' (which don't do the same as heroes' force bolts otherwise they couldn't dodge them) to get close to him (page 91). A hero using luck only has one attempt before their luck gets reduced by too much to try again, but a hero with dodge can try again with more chance of getting close as their dodge score will not reduce with every roll.

Being able to use a dodge skill instead of a test for luck makes some traps too easy as someone with a dodge skill of 11 or 12 would be able to dodge things all day (until a double 6 is rolled, at least) whilst a hero using luck will find it harder each time.

Dodge makes you immune to fire bolt, many traps and makes combat a lot easier. It could also save a lot of luck points in an adventure and render some traps harmless. I think it is overpowered - do you?
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:41 am

Absolutely. It has changed in the new version so that you can use it to avoid traps still, but you no longer use it in the same way in combat.

Some characters (if they have the right talent) can use dodge to reduce the damage from blows if they are not wearing armour. Effectively this allows someone to be a Conan type character.

I was never too keen on that original combat use of dodge.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:39 am

Thanks for the reply Parkusuk and thanks for being so thorough in your revisions. I'm really looking forward to AFF.

There's another skill I think might be overpowered - what do you think about strength? It allows heroes to inflict one extra point of damage in combat. I think this is also overpowered.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.