AFF ERRATA Thread

bottg
Site Admin

Postby bottg » Mon May 23, 2011 4:40 pm

skathros wrote:
parkusuk wrote:Ah yes. p33 should actually read:

A Hero receives 2 MP for every point in the MAGIC characteristic and Magic-Wizardry special skills.

Thus add both of these together and double it. The Magic-Minor component was originally there, but was changed late on. The sample Heroes use the correct method.

So a Hero with only Magic-Minor just gets 2MP for every point in the MAGIC characteristic, regardless of the Magic-Minor special skill?

Yes, because they don't actually need very many, only using one up when a casting roll is failed.
Logon

Postby Logon » Tue May 24, 2011 4:29 pm

Dying :

page 57: the hero lose 1 STAMINA per minute.
page 65: the hero lose 1 LUCK point per minute and die at 0 LUCK

What is the right version ?
GM: Earthdawn, Hero, Logon, AFF
http://cryptmaster.free.fr/Logon
Logon

Postby Logon » Tue May 24, 2011 4:33 pm

Logon wrote:Alternative Unopposed Checks:
I think there is a mistake.
In order to get the same probability as the "roll under or equal" method the target number of the "roll over or equal" should be 14, not 15.

For instance at SKILL 8:

There are 73% to roll 8 or under

There are 73% to roll 6 or over for a total of 14
and there are only 59% to roll 7 or over for a total of 15.

So the right number is 14.

Logon

Postby Logon » Tue May 24, 2011 5:24 pm

The sneaking rogue example in Opposed checks page 47 and Awareness and Hiding pages 54-55:

What is this symetric modifier rule ?
With an opposed resolution adding x to one character AND substracting x to his opponent is strictly the same adding 2x to one character OR substracting 2x to the other.

For instance:
in open country Stealth -4 AND Awareness +4 is the same as Stealth -8 OR Awareness +8.
Is it what you really wanted or am i confused by the page 47 example ?

Disguise page 51:
Why apply the Target Awareness score as a penalty ?
Isn't it supposed to be an opposed check or is it a third resolution method ?

StarBegotten

Postby StarBegotten » Wed May 25, 2011 12:19 pm

In order to get the same probability as the "roll under or equal" method the target number of the "roll over or equal" should be 14, not 15.

True, but the example in the book assumes a SKILL of 7 and a Special Skill of 1.

So the target number of 15 in the book is right in that instance, but it would be 14 for just a SKILL of 7 with no Special Skill involved.
Later,

StarBegotten.
StarBegotten

Postby StarBegotten » Wed May 25, 2011 12:22 pm

In the Monster List starting on page 123 the weapon types for Monsters are referred to as Small, Medium and Large - but on the Weapon Tables they are listed as Small, Large and Very Large.

I assume that Medium is Large on the Weapon Table and that Large refers to Very Large?
Later,

StarBegotten.
Logon

Postby Logon » Wed May 25, 2011 7:50 pm

StarBegotten wrote:

True, but the example in the book assumes a SKILL of 7 and a Special Skill of 1.

So the target number of 15 in the book is right in that instance, but it would be 14 for just a SKILL of 7 with no Special Skill involved.

That's not logical.

Don't increase the Target Number by the same value as the Special Skill or the Special Skill becomes useless.

A SKILL 7+1 has 59% chance to roll a 7 ===> total 15

A SKILL 7 has 42% chance to roll a 8 ====> total 15
But a SKILL 7 has 59% chance to roll 7 or under in the classical method !

So the Roll Over or equal Target number 15 method is not equivalent to the classic Roll Under or Equal version.

The example in the book is definitely wrong.
Last edited by Logon on Wed May 25, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Logon

Postby Logon » Wed May 25, 2011 7:53 pm

- Magic Points increase when MAGIC or Wizardry increases.

but

- Magic Points may be directly increased : 5px * new score.

Isn't it a source of trouble ?

Logon

Postby Logon » Wed May 25, 2011 7:55 pm

p48: Whatever the duration of a round (2sec or 10 secs) a movement rate of 2m per combat round is very very very slow... (lower than walking speed !)

Skywalker

Postby Skywalker » Wed May 25, 2011 9:57 pm

StarBegotten wrote:

Logon is correct. The target number for mathematical equivalency in a roll over and equal system is 14, not 15, in all cases.
aduial

Postby aduial » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:44 am

The description of the dodge skill says that dodge can be used in combat - obviously this is true if you also have the swashbuckler talent. However, another talent also mentions dodge. I think it's called something like "solid defence", but I can't remember exactly (and I left the book at home). Anyway, I remember the wording, and it says that you get a +2 bonus if you take "the defensive or dodge action in combat".

So... what is this dodge action? I haven't been able to find it in the book. Is it a leftover from a previous edition (where I am led to understand that dodge was somewhat more powerful)? In that case, should the "solid defense" talent be rewritten somehow?
aduial

Postby aduial » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:42 pm

Logon wrote:p48: Whatever the duration of a round (2sec or 10 secs) a movement rate of 2m per combat round is very very very slow... (lower than walking speed !)

Hmm... I understood the 2m as being what you can move if you are actually part of the combat, that is "being attacked" or "attacking" or performing some other combat-related action apart from moving... If not, you're just moving around outside the combat and thus still moving at the speed of plot, so to say...

At least, that's the only way I can seem to have it make sense. Anyway, I'm quite happy with very simple movement rules and low movement rates - it lessens the need for tactical maps or miniatures.
aduial

Postby aduial » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:44 pm

Another question for the FAQ: Does the Natural Mage talent (in any form) affect minor magic/cantrips in any way? By the letter of the rule I guess not, but that also seems counter-intuitive...
aduial

Postby aduial » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:52 pm

Logon wrote:The sneaking rogue example in Opposed checks page 47 and Awareness and Hiding pages 54-55:
What is this symetric modifier rule ?
(...)

I think the example on page 47 is worded badly (to say the least). The rule on page 54/55 says that "modifiers from the list below are applied to the Hero's test, depending on whether he is the observer or the sneaker".

I take the spirit of this rule to be that modifiers are always added to the player character's test, not to the test of any monsters or NPC's. It also seems to make sense this way when considering the numbers, as the total modifier would otherwise be prohibitively high in almost all cases.
Logon

Postby Logon » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:31 pm

IMHO, the TOP bug is the fact that Out of the Pit has not been updated to the new rules.
That's hard to believe, whatever the spirit of simplicity of AFF ... :cry:

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”