AFF ERRATA Thread

Wyrin

Sorcery spells

Postby Wyrin » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:00 am

Loving this revision of the classic - great job

Have one major question tho, and that's on the Sorcery spells - there seem to be a lot that at rank 1, and I'm guessing there should have been more of a spread on these. For example GOB and YOB are both listed as (1) - when the giant is way more powerful than the goblin. Can i get a clarification on the right costs for sorceror spells?

Thanks
torus
Knight

Re: Sorcery spells

Postby torus » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:26 pm

Wyrin wrote:Loving this revision of the classic - great job

Have one major question tho, and that's on the Sorcery spells - there seem to be a lot that at rank 1, and I'm guessing there should have been more of a spread on these. For example GOB and YOB are both listed as (1) - when the giant is way more powerful than the goblin. Can i get a clarification on the right costs for sorceror spells?

Thanks

I think that's actually true to the original source for these spells - the Sorcery! books. In those books at any given time you didn't get to pick any spell from the whole list, just one from a set of about four or five as I recall. Also don't forget the material requirements for many spells.

Perhaps this restricted choice needs to be represented somehow in the RPG?
bottg
Site Admin

Postby bottg » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:53 pm

Wyrin wrote:Loving this revision of the classic - great job

Thanks

But you can summon and control several Goblins with a single GOB spell, but only 1 giant.

And Giant Molars are much harder to come by than goblin teeth.
For one thing you have to kill that Giant first (!), and you probably only get 1 tooth out of it.
Wyrin

Postby Wyrin » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:05 pm

I dont have the books with me right now but I'm not sure it's still balanced by whether the components are destroyed during the casting or not either.
I'm fine with the DIrector balancing things by access to the components, but I guess I was expecting more than 1 point I'd stamina cost to cast the higher powers generally (note: never actually had the Sorcery! Books so can't say how it compares)
Skyrock

Postby Skyrock » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:22 am

As far as I checked, AFF Sorcery costs and Sorcery! sorcery costs are the same.
There are some other changes to spells (like DOC not working on the sorcerer himself), but not too many.

The only thing that unsettles me a bit is MUD.
It worked in Sorcery!, where sand was hard to come by. In AFF, a sorcerer can get buckets of sand for free from the coast or the desert and begin tossing Save-or-Die spells for 1 stamina per pop. It will probably take a few tries against monsters with good skill, but that spell is still a bargain.
torus
Knight

Postby torus » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:26 am

Probably this discussion should be transferred to a new thread.

One could maybe introduce a rule that each Sorcery spell can only be cast once per day.
skathros

Postby skathros » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:56 am

parkusuk wrote:And Giant Molars are much harder to come by than goblin teeth.

In my game, i've found that this pretty much balances the two spells.
spaceLem

Postby spaceLem » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:31 pm

In the index: using luck in combat points towards page 591, when it should be page 59.
I love tea!
Slloyd14
Site Admin

Postby Slloyd14 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:57 am

On page 97, the entry for disease says that you can give someone a disease that affects a stat determined at random. It does not say how it affects the stat (I presume it lowers the stat by 1 point permanently?)
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.
MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Postby MountainPeak11 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:50 am

More of a flaw than an error, the fly spell doesn't specify height or distance, so naturally my boyfriend had to exploit this and just flew around everywhere to his heart's content. :P
MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Postby MountainPeak11 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:02 pm

Can I get some clarification on the type of shield conjured when you cast WOK? Is it a shield that can deflect magic, or just craft and the elements? What would it take to break it etc.?
bottg
Site Admin

Postby bottg » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:10 pm

MountainPeak11 wrote:Can I get some clarification on the type of shield conjured when you cast WOK? Is it a shield that can deflect magic, or just craft and the elements? What would it take to break it etc.?

It cannot deflect magic any more than a standard shield, but is made of magic and cannot be damaged or removed from the Sorcerer's arm whilst the spell is in effect.
MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Postby MountainPeak11 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:25 pm

The Shatter Spell is listed on the pre-made wizard character sheet, but no such spell is listed in the Magic section of the handbook.
darksoul
Knight

Re:

Postby darksoul » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:06 am

parkusuk wrote:
Logon wrote:IMHO, the TOP bug is the fact that Out of the Pit has not been updated to the new rules.
That's hard to believe, whatever the spirit of simplicity of AFF ... :cry:

Unfortunately, that was part of the license. Either reprint as is, or completely rewrite etc. Therefore we had to take th ereprint option, with updates in the core book!

I find it strange that people are saying that OOTP has to be updated. AFF first edition didn't match with Titan because the characters made were too powerful. You could get 12 skill and than add 4 skill points. You would have 4 skill above standard Fighting Fantasy rules. With in the new system a character will have a skill anywhere between 4-7. Assuming the player chooses 7 and 2 points in a weapon, they now have 9 skill against a monster, which seems to be the average of most monsters and it allows the player to fight the monsters in Out of the Pit or even any game book, without any adjustment.
darksoul
Knight

Re: AFF ERRATA Thread

Postby darksoul » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:16 am

Re:Smite

Me and some friends just made out first AFF2e Characters.
I am unsure about how smite works. Is it applied to a weapon? Is it a ranged attack? Can it be applied to ranged weapons? If it is applied to a weapon does that mean the user of smite rolls for Attack, and if successful does damage of the weapon - armour, than rolls and adds smite damage?

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”