From Firetop to Blacksand

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
Julien

From Firetop to Blacksand

Post by Julien » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:00 pm

Hello there,

My party is travelling from Firetop Mountain to Blacksand. How long do you think it would take them to travel by foot?

Julien

Chompy

Re: From Firetop to Blacksand

Post by Chompy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:32 pm

Depends a lot on how you estimate the distance and how well-prepared and mobile the party is.

I've got it down as being about a ten day trip from Blacksand to Salamonis, and seems to be roughly the same distance from Blacksand to the Moonstone Hills.
https://puu.sh/G2AUB/310f6b4525.png

On foot given the terrain, meandering routes, imperfect weather, carrying whatever gear and having to stop for rests... anything from 1-2 weeks?
Might be reasonable to do 2D6+6 to get anywhere from 8-18 days, depending on how well their journey went. If any of them have skills that would help, or if they have good maps, you can deduct from the roll total.

Could be terribly wrong though! S'been a while since I put the rough distance/times between key places in my notes and I haven't checked it since...
Pretty sure there's some travelling rules floating around which may be where I got these distances from back whenever it was I made these... couldn't find them again, but hopefully someone knows about them.

HedgeWizard
Knight

Post by HedgeWizard » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:41 am

In Titan it says that the Pagan Plains stretch for many many days and that the terrain is mostly slow going. You’d probably go from Foretop Mountain to Fang then take the road to Stonebridge and then continue south to the Catfish River before following that to Blacksand.

I wouldn’t take the distances on the maps literally. They are drawn up by a group of scholars in the halls of learning in Salamonis who’ve probably never left the city. They are more a suggestion based on what they’ve heard from others.

So make it as long as you like but your probably looking at a couple of weeks at least.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:14 pm

Once they get to the catfish river, if they find someone willing to ferry them down by boat that would shave a huge chunk off the journey time and take them all the way to Blacksand.
Though trusting the types of people that are heading to Blacksand may not be the best idea. Especially if you're going to be on a boat mid-river with nowhere else to go but swim....

HedgeWizard
Knight

Post by HedgeWizard » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:26 pm

I can just see how that conversation is going to go. “How do we know we can trust you?” “I swear that no one has ever spoken ill of me after travelling on my boat! Now let me help you with that bag which you are holding very tightly...”

Julien

Post by Julien » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:29 pm

Thanks for all your input Chompy and HedgeWizard! Just purchased the Heroes Companion book and I fancied to make use of the Wilderness Adventures rules for overland travel.

HedgeWizard
Knight

Post by HedgeWizard » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:33 pm

Julien wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:29 pm
Thanks for all your input Chompy and HedgeWizard! Just purchased the Heroes Companion book and I fancied to make use of the Wilderness Adventures rules for overland travel.
One of my favourite books For AFF! But there again I am a megalomaniac who always dreamed of being king

Julien

Post by Julien » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:30 am

So I am planning for my party to leave Firetop to go to Port Blacksand. They are advised to go go to Stonebridge first so they can cross the Red River. This should take 3 days? However once in Stonebridge they are accused of stealing a drum belonging to the music school (I will follow part of the adventure from the Défis Fantastique core rule book). This should lead then to the Dark Forest and Yaztromo himself! Once this adventure done, they can follow the Catfish river to Port Blacksand (10 days?) where one of my player is seeking his brother who has disappeared from Firetop Mountain (he used to be an Orc working in the Orc Barrack). During their overland journeys I will make use of the overland travel rules from Heroes Companion.

HedgeWizard
Knight

Post by HedgeWizard » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:12 pm

Julien wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:30 am
So I am planning for my party to leave Firetop to go to Port Blacksand. They are advised to go go to Stonebridge first so they can cross the Red River. This should take 3 days? However once in Stonebridge they are accused of stealing a drum belonging to the music school (I will follow part of the adventure from the Défis Fantastique core rule book). This should lead then to the Dark Forest and Yaztromo himself! Once this adventure done, they can follow the Catfish river to Port Blacksand (10 days?) where one of my player is seeking his brother who has disappeared from Firetop Mountain (he used to be an Orc working in the Orc Barrack). During their overland journeys I will make use of the overland travel rules from Heroes Companion.
Seems perfectly reasonable but I wouldn’t get to hung up on the exact number of days. You can also say after a few days, about two weeks. We live in a world where time is measured with surgical precision but through much of history and probably in a world like Titan people took a much more relaxed approach. What’s more important is what happens and the general feeling of time moving on.

I’m going to pick up a copy of Défis Fantastique and have a look at what they’ve done!