New Weapons and Armour

Radioactive Ape Colin

New Weapons and Armour

Post by Radioactive Ape Colin » Fri May 20, 2011 9:03 pm

Filling in a few gaps:

NEW WEAPONS
Gauntlet
– Gauntlets, studded leather gloves, brass knuckles, and other implements that reinforce the fist enable the bearer to inflict more damage with a punch. Plate armour automatically includes gauntlets, but such items must otherwise be purchased separately. Their use falls under the Brawling Special Skill.
Damage Roll: 1 1 1 2 2 2 3
Price: 1gp/1gp/2gp

Greatclub – The greatclub is a large, heavy two-handed warclub, often carved into deadly shapes or reinforced with studs or blades of bone or metal.
Damage Roll: 2 3 3 3 4 4 5
Price: 5gp/3gp/12gp

Maul – A mighty, two-handed warhammer, the maul has a wooden shaft and large metal hammerhead capable of inflicting crushing blows.
Damage Roll: 2 3 3 4 4 4 5
Price: 55gp/70gp/90gp

Shield Bash – In addition to serving as armour, shields may also be used as weapons to smash an opponent. A shield cannot provide its armour bonus in the same round it is used to attack. Their offensive use falls under the Brawling Special Skill.

Spiked Gauntlet – Gloves and gauntlets may be fitted with spikes and blades, making them vicious weapons particularly favoured in the arenas of pit fighters and gladiators. Their use falls under the Brawling Special Skill.
Damage Roll: 1 1 2 2 2 2 3
Price: 3gp/3gp/6gp

Spiked Shield – To enhance their versatility, some shields are fitted with spikes or blades to enhance their use as offensive weapons. A shield cannot provide its armour bonus in the same round it is used to attack. Their offensive use falls under the Brawling Special Skill.
Price (Small Spiked Shield): 9gp/11gp/18gp
Price (Large Spiked Shield): 20gp/24gp/39gp

Throwing Axe – A specially weighted and shaped version of the common hand axe, the throwing axe is designed to be thrown short distances, and may also be used in melee. The Thrown Special Skill covers its use at range and the Axes Special Skill in melee.
Range is as a Light Object (AFFRPG, page 59).
Damage Roll: 2 2 2 2 3 3 4
Price: 20gp/30gp/45gp
Radioactive Ape Designs: Award-nominated publisher of Atomic Highway and other great RPGs!

Radioactive Ape Colin

Post by Radioactive Ape Colin » Fri May 20, 2011 9:07 pm

NEW ARMOUR
A Studded Leather Cuirass is a leather cuirass reinforced with large metal studs or rings. It is tougher than a standard leather cuirass while still being fairly light. It requires an Armour Special Skill total of 8 to wear without penalty.
Armour Roll: 0 0 0 1 1 2 3
Price: 30gp/40gp/90gp

A Studded Leather Hauberk is of similar construction, but also covers the arms and thighs. It requires an Armour Special Skill total of 9 to wear without penalty.
Armour Roll: 0 1 1 1 2 2 3
Price: 40gp/55gp/120gp
Last edited by Radioactive Ape Colin on Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Radioactive Ape Designs: Award-nominated publisher of Atomic Highway and other great RPGs!

aduial

Re: New Weapons and Armour

Post by aduial » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:16 pm

Radioactive Ape Colin wrote:Filling in a few gaps:

Gauntlet – Gauntlets, studded leather gloves, brass knuckles, and other implements that reinforce the fist enable the bearer to inflict more damage with a punch. Plate armour automatically includes gauntlets, but such items must otherwise be purchased separately. Their use falls under the Brawling Special Skill.
Price: 1gp/1gp/2gp
I like it. See the need for such a weapon. The power also seems about right. Not sure about the price. I would up the price a little outside cities, to simulate rarity. The city price seems ok.
Radioactive Ape Colin wrote: Greatclub – The greatclub is a large, heavy two-handed warclub, often carved into deadly shapes or reinforced with studs or blades of bone or metal.
Damage Roll: 2 3 3 3 4 4 5
Price: 5gp/3gp/12gp
Very powerful compared to the club, but slightly less powerful than a battleaxe. MUCH lower price, though, which seems fitting. I would reduce the village price a little bit (maybe to 8 or 10).
Radioactive Ape Colin wrote: Maul – A mighty, two-handed warhammer, the maul has a wooden shaft and large metal hammerhead capable of inflicting crushing blows.
Damage Roll: 2 3 3 4 4 4 5
Price: 55gp/70gp/90gp
Less powerful version of the greatsword, but less expensive. Still looks good, and gives some needed options to the clubs skill.
Radioactive Ape Colin wrote: Shield Bash – In addition to serving as armour, shields may also be used as weapons to smash an opponent. A shield cannot provide its armour bonus in the same round it is used to attack. Their offensive use falls under the Brawling Special Skill.
Nice option for using brawling without having to take the -4 "unarmed" penalty. Apart from that just like an improvised weapon. I like it.
Radioactive Ape Colin wrote: Spiked Gauntlet – Gloves and gauntlets may be fitted with spikes and blades, making them vicious weapons particularly favoured in the arenas of pit fighters and gladiators. Their use falls under the Brawling Special Skill.
Price: 3gp/3gp/6gp
Looks good again. An expensive dagger, really.
Radioactive Ape Colin wrote: Spiked Shield – To enhance their versatility, some shields are fitted with spikes or blades to enhance their use as offensive weapons. A shield cannot provide its armour bonus in the same round it is used to attack. Their offensive use falls under the Brawling Special Skill.
Price (Small Spiked Shield): 9gp/11gp/18gp
Price (Large Spiked Shield): 20gp/24gp/39gp
Okay, so now we have a dagger which doesn't take the -4 penalty, and can be used as a shield... For the price, it seems fair.
Radioactive Ape Colin wrote: Throwing Axe – A specially weighted and shaped version of the common hand axe, the throwing axe is designed to be thrown short distances, and may also be used in melee. The Thrown Special Skill covers its use at range and the Axes Special Skill in melee.
Range is as a Light Object (AFFRPG, page 59).
Damage Roll: 2 2 2 2 3 3 4
Price: 20gp/30gp/45gp
Somewhere between the throwing dagger and the javelin in power and almost as good as the javelin in range. More expensive than either, but can be used in melee. Though a javelin can too, by the text.

I would reduce the price significantly, reduce the range to that of a throwing dagger (as throwing axes seem quite difficult to use) and increase the damage to that of a handaxe. That would arguably make it better than a hand-axe (so I guess it should cost more), but then again - look at the difference between a javelin and a spear.

I would lower the price. Apart from that, I guess

aduial

Post by aduial » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:30 pm

Radioactive Ape Colin wrote:NEW ARMOUR
A Studded Leather Cuirass is a leather cuirass reinforced with large metal studs or rings. It is tougher than a standard leather cuirass while still being fairly light. It requires an Armour Special Skill total of 7 to wear without penalty.
Armour Roll: 0 0 0 1 1 2 3
Price: 30gp/40gp/90gp

A Studded Leather Hauberk is of similar construction, but also covers the arms and thighs. It requires an Armour Special Skill total of 8 to wear without penalty.
Armour Roll: 0 1 1 1 2 2 3
Price: 40gp/55gp/120gp
Hmmm. I don't really like these as written. Considering most characters are likely to start with skill 7, they are very easily aquired (although expensive). But considering how the bargain skill works, characters are unlikely to be stuck for money for very long. So, I would make them Armour 8 and 9 respectively. Then I would probably reduce their effectiveness a bit as well.

Radioactive Ape Colin

Post by Radioactive Ape Colin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:23 pm

aduial wrote:Hmmm. I don't really like these as written. Considering most characters are likely to start with skill 7, they are very easily aquired (although expensive). But considering how the bargain skill works, characters are unlikely to be stuck for money for very long. So, I would make them Armour 8 and 9 respectively. Then I would probably reduce their effectiveness a bit as well.
Effectiveness-wise and expense-wise they are already sandwiched between Leather and Chainmail, so reducing their effectiveness would make them pointless and remove the reason they were created: to serve as an intermediate point between leather and mail.

I agree r.e. potentially changing the skill requirement to 8/9 instead though. I'll give that one some thought.

Colin

Radioactive Ape Colin

Re: New Weapons and Armour

Post by Radioactive Ape Colin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:34 pm

aduial wrote:Gauntlet: I like it. See the need for such a weapon. The power also seems about right. Not sure about the price. I would up the price a little outside cities, to simulate rarity. The city price seems ok.
Thanks. As for the price outside of cities, a flattened or twisted horseshoe can also serve well in this regard (and has done in the Real World oddly enough). :)
aduial wrote: Greatclub:Very powerful compared to the club, but slightly less powerful than a battleaxe. MUCH lower price, though, which seems fitting. I would reduce the village price a little bit (maybe to 8 or 10).
In this case I kept the price proportions roughly similar to those of a normal Club.
aduial wrote: Spiked Gauntlet: Looks good again. An expensive dagger, really.
Thanks. The real inspiration was section 61 of Trial of Champions. ;)
The throwing axe was based on the Francisca by the way.

Colin

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:11 pm

Do you think you could edit in the new editions to the weapons/armour you made in the first post? I'd love to use a few of those in my campaign. :D

Radioactive Ape Colin

Post by Radioactive Ape Colin » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:06 pm

MountainPeak11 wrote:Do you think you could edit in the new editions to the weapons/armour you made in the first post? I'd love to use a few of those in my campaign. :D
Erm, I'm not sure what you're asking here, sorry. If you're asking for the new weapons/armour to be added to a future printing of the AFF book, I'm not the person to ask as I'm just a fan here and nothing to do with Arion Games.

Colin

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:40 am

Radioactive Ape Colin wrote:
MountainPeak11 wrote:Do you think you could edit in the new editions to the weapons/armour you made in the first post? I'd love to use a few of those in my campaign. :D
Erm, I'm not sure what you're asking here, sorry. If you're asking for the new weapons/armour to be added to a future printing of the AFF book, I'm not the person to ask as I'm just a fan here and nothing to do with Arion Games.

Colin
No I just meant could you edit modifications to your weapons/armour that other people have suggested into the first post of this thread so I can look at it more easily? xD

aduial

Post by aduial » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:50 am

MountainPeak11 wrote:No I just meant could you edit modifications to your weapons/armour that other people have suggested into the first post of this thread so I can look at it more easily? xD
He might not agree with the suggestions, you know. ;-)

Radioactive Ape Colin

Post by Radioactive Ape Colin » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:21 pm

aduial wrote:
MountainPeak11 wrote:No I just meant could you edit modifications to your weapons/armour that other people have suggested into the first post of this thread so I can look at it more easily? xD
He might not agree with the suggestions, you know. ;-)
Indeed. Ultimately, aduial liked most of the stuff as-is; he only made a handful of suggestions, and I only agreed with one of them (changing the skill req for the armour to 8/9), and that's already edited in now.

Colin

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:52 am

Ok :) As long as there aren't any severe errors I don't mind which people's ideas you use.

Dr Magister

Post by Dr Magister » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:48 pm

I have noticed that the price lists include helmets, which don't appear to be included in the armour rules, so here is my suggestion:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7+
Leather Helmet: 0 0 0 0 0 1 2
Metal Helmet: 0 0 0 0 0 2 3
Visored Metal Helm: 0 0 0 0 0 3 4

These helmets would be priced appropriately, taken the given listing as Metal helmet, with the leather being cheaper and the visored helm much more expensive. I'm assuming a 6 as a head hit, in which case possibly these would be instead of other armour, or possibly as well as. It just seems that since the prices for armour and helmet are separate, they should have an additional effect. They'd need Armour skills of 6, 8 and 10 respectively.

Thoughts?

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:41 am

Dr Magister wrote:I have noticed that the price lists include helmets, which don't appear to be included in the armour rules, so here is my suggestion:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7+
Leather Helmet: 0 0 0 0 0 1 2
Metal Helmet: 0 0 0 0 0 2 3
Visored Metal Helm: 0 0 0 0 0 3 4

These helmets would be priced appropriately, taken the given listing as Metal helmet, with the leather being cheaper and the visored helm much more expensive. I'm assuming a 6 as a head hit, in which case possibly these would be instead of other armour, or possibly as well as. It just seems that since the prices for armour and helmet are separate, they should have an additional effect. They'd need Armour skills of 6, 8 and 10 respectively.

Thoughts?
So far I've been adding a couple of skill points if someone wears a helmet as I couldn't think how to use the armour grid with two different armour items at the same time. But that seems to work! :)

Dr Magister

Post by Dr Magister » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:02 am

Actually looking at the armour rolls for the other armour, perhaps, it should be:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7+
Leather Helmet 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
Metal Helmet 2 0 0 0 0 0 0
Visored Helm 3 0 0 0 0 0 0

This would be in combination with the normal armour, so a single roll would be made for armour, helmet and shield.

Prices:
Leather Helmet 10GP
Metal Helmet 20GP
Visored Helm 50GP

I'm wondering whether leather helmets should be destroyed after protecting against so many hits though, since they are so cheap.