Where Would I Find ... ?

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
UrsaTeddy

Where Would I Find ... ?

Post by UrsaTeddy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:10 pm

Greetings All,

A new player - both to RPGs in general and Titan specifically - wanted to play a character that is based on the Luchador traditions.

Creating such a character is a no-brainer, however we wanted to make the character much more connected to the World of Titan rather than just an anomaly.

Is there any Latin American styled (even Mayan or Aztec) areas in the World of Titan?

I thought it would be a cool idea to mix this with Mask Magic, however those have limitations as well. Any ideas around this?

All help appreciated

LordArioch
Adventurer

Re: Where Would I Find ... ?

Post by LordArioch » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:36 pm

Khul?

UrsaTeddy

Post by UrsaTeddy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:58 pm

LordArioch wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:36 pm
Khul?
Is that because - the feeling I get - is that everything non-standard is from Khul?

Or is there some kind of explanation you could give since I am not a "Master of Titan" and do not know the intricacies of the different lands and their real world cultural influences.

Thank you in advance

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:51 pm

I don't remember canon resources referencing heavily Mayan or Aztec archetypes on Titan, but Fighting Fantasy canon is huge and I may have missed something.
In a game, I made the Nightshriek Forest and the Panther Warriors associated with Mayan-like culture, including stepped pyramids lost in the jungle, but that's my take on it.
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

HedgeWizard
Knight

Post by HedgeWizard » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:03 am

Nuvole is right I think about the only official mention of something Mayan/Central America ish being in the nightshriek jungle. But in the canon the culture is now village based and living height in the trees. So you could build something round that by either making another city based culture in the jungles further south or ignoring the disaster which changed their culture.

Khul seems to have been declared as the official playground if you want to do anything. But as other people have pointed out Titan is a huge place with lots of stuff mixed together. If you look at it from an in universe perspective then the the only real book about the world is Titan... a text written by a group of scholars who never left Simonis. So it’s probably riddled with errors and missing lots of things which means you are free to let your imagination run wild!

Welcome to Titan, welcome to the forum and welcome to RPGing in general! You’ll always find some help here if you need it, or just want to bounce some ideas about.

UrsaTeddy

Post by UrsaTeddy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:39 pm

Thank you for the replies.

For now I have delayed the problem by having the character have the profession of physical trainer and working at a gym in Caerrhela, at the edge of the Forest of the Fiends. The name of the city could be Spanish (I know it is probably supposed to be Celt).

Session 0 was set in Shavaran near the Barrowmounds so it was just far enough away to be meaningful but close enough not to be weird for him to travel.

That way I avoided elaborate backstories and explanations of how he ended up in the area when the Luchadors were from another land or area of the world.

Right now I have the concept boiled down to a travelling sideshow event that travels from town to town during the festival seasons - this way the core concept will not be destroyed if I ever figure out where the full Luchador league will exist.

Worked well and the player enjoyed his first foray into RPG and his character concept coming alive - he was scared of having to choose a class as stated in other RPGs I will not name :)

Oh and for the Mask Magic concept I extended it to include permanent masks. However this requires a Talent to be "purchased" and the mask has a negative side effect to those wearing it. In addition if worn for longer than 24 hours, there are cumulative penalties.

Thanks again.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:04 pm

Please keep us up to date on how you develop your concepts! 8)
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

UrsaTeddy

Post by UrsaTeddy » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:45 pm

Nuvole! wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:04 pm
Please keep us up to date on how you develop your concepts! 8)
Okay this is my first draft (well actually something like 3rd draft, but 1st to be put out there).

Happy for feedback or to explain anything from the concept.

Preamble ...

Well ... first ... the reveal ... I am using the Savage Worlds Adventure Edition for the rules.

It is so close to AFF2 that there is almost nothing that needs to be done by the Game Master except translate Talents, Skills, and Magic between the two. The only real difference is Hindrances in SWADE which do not have a translation in AFF2.

Oh and understanding the AFF2 attributes (SKILL, STAMINA, MAGIC) and how they affect the game compared to the SWADE versions was the hardest thing I did.

I did this a little at a time and so far game balance has been kept.

Why am I using SWADE? Because I am quite experienced at running games in SWADE and so did not want to learn another system which by and large was the same.

Permanent Mask Magic ...

Inspiration: Grim, Season 5, Episoide 13, "Silence of the Slams"

Normally Masks are one-use items that last 24 hours once donned. However, there are some artisans out there that can create permanent Masks. These do not stop working after 24 hours, however the spirits captured inside them do not like being called upon continuously and so actively work to penalise the wearer.

The methods of creating these masks are varied, but always include powerful rituals. The details are left to the Game Master, but make it BIG!

A permanent mask is always Attuned to the wearer. Mask creators will not invest the time and effort in creating a permanent mask without a purpose. In addition, such a mask has a negative effect that is "always active". This negative effect should reflect the mask's benefits.

In addition, the longer the mask is worn, the more negative effects begin manifesting. The Game Master should design progressively harsher negatives until either the Player removes the mask or they lose complete control of the spirit(s) within and are forever a Game Master character.

An Example ...

In the following example I have endeavoured to include an AFF2 version, even though as stated previously I am using SWADE.

Mask of the Wrestler (Spirit of the Beast Lords)
This mask is colourful and normally created to resemble a fierce animal known for its fighting prowess such as panthers, leopards, hawks, wolves and so on. There are even some masks that are made to resemble fantastical creatures such as a phoenix but these are rare.

The creation of these masks requires the sacrifice of a live creature of the mask type during the ritual and its spirit is imbued within the mask. However, unlike the short-lived masks, this spirit is trapped within the material of the mask, never able to find peace. It is because of this that the mask is eternally warring with the Spirit of the Hero. This leads to a Hindrance or other negative being permanently active.

In addition, the longer that the mask is worn, the more risk to the player's spirit.

This particular mask has trapped the spirit of a Thunderbird - a very rare air spirit.

Standard Effect
This mask was created for one thing, combat. However not just any combat, performance combat.

SWADE: When attempting a Test, the wearer will always use Performance (Combat Performance), no matter if they have better skills. They gain a +2 bonus on the Trait Roll, however, and will not suffer from Repetition problems due to their creativity.

AFF2: The hero doubles all benefits from Combat Options: Defensive and Feint. When testing Luck, he subtracts 1 from his rolls. The player is encouraged to describe how his performance in combat gives him the edge.

Attuned Effect
The Thunderbird inside the mask charges the wearer with its fast lightning energy.

SWADE: When the mask is first donned by the owner, they may select one of the following Edges to be activated: Alertness, Block, Brawler, Calculating, or Dodge. Once this selection has been made, it may not be changed. This Edge will count for requirements for other Edges, however if the mask is not worn, those Edges will also be dormant.

AFF2: When the mask is first donned by the owner, they may select one of the following Talents to be activated: Combat Reactions, Lucky, Solid Defence, Strongarm, or Swashbuckler. Once this selection has been made, it may not be changed.

Extra Effect
The wearer may channel the power of the Thunderbird held within the mask.

SWADE: The player may use the Smite power (Lightning Trapping), using Spirit as his casting skill. This uses the No Power Points Setting Rule for casting. Once this power ends, the wearer will gain one level of Fatigue. This Fatigue cannot be recovered by any means except full rest.

AFF2: The player may use Force Bolt. This is delivered through a Brawling strike. They use their SKILL + Brawling instead of MAGIC + Magic-Wizardry, and take 3 STAMINA damage when used. This damage may only be recovered naturally or through Divine means from a sympathetic Deity. In all other respects, this behaves just as a Wizard casting a spell.

Basic Flaw (Always On)
With all this supercharged electrical energy flowing through them, the wearer begins to second guess everything they do.

SWADE: The wearer will suffer from the Hesitant (minor) Hindrance.

AFF2: The wearer refuses to fight with weapons. They MUST use Brawling.

Cumulative Problems
The more the wearer relies on the mask, the more detrimental effects begin to multiply.

SWADE: Once the hero has worn the mask for 24 hours and they have not removed it, they must make a Spirit Roll. This roll will occur every 24 hours of continuous usage until the mask is removed or the character has been taken over by the spirit in the mask and become a Game Master character. Every 2 days of continuous use will grant a cumulative -1 to this roll on the following day (-1 on day 3, -2 on day 5, ...).

If the roll succeeds, the wearer may go about their business as always. On a Raise, they reduce the accrued penalties by 1. However if this roll fails, the Game Master should create a situation in which the hero will black out and the spirit will take over and "have some fun". This does not need to be immediate, however it should occur within the 24 hours of the day that the roll failed. Some suggestions on what could happen are can be found on the Dominion Table from SWADE Deadlands. Keep in mind that the Dominion subsystem does not exist.

On a Critical Failure, the spirit within the mask has finally gathered enough energy to break through the magics restricting it and takes over the character for a longer period of time (left up to the Game Master). In addition, a cumulative permanent penalty of -1 is accrued for the Spirit Roll. Once this permanent penalty equals the player's Spirit Trait, they are permanently taken over by the spirit within the mask.

The penalties will be reduced at the rate of 1 per 24 hours that the mask is not worn, however permanent penalties cannot be removed by any known means.

NOTE: Although it does not look like the mask has a chance of taking over the player, more rolls equals more chances. This may be revised in the future.

AFF2: Every day after the first that the player keeps the mask on, they must Test LUCK. Once their LUCK score reaches 0, they have been overtaken by the spirit in the mask and become a Game Mater Character. The mask must be removed for a full 24 hours to "reset".