Fun creature features, tricks and habits?

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
Chompy

Fun creature features, tricks and habits?

Post by Chompy » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:24 pm

Thinking about putting together a dungeon/adventure and I'm really keen to have some fun setups for creature encounters. Specifically I'm trying to find some creatures that have an interesting way to ambush the players, or something particularly unique about the fight itself. Sort of, creatures as traps/puzzles if that makes sense.

The ones I'm considering so far are:
  • Wheelies: in a narrow corridor, or room with slots in the walls they can spring out of suddenly
  • Living Corpse: lying in ambush amidst a gore strewn room or gruesome torture chamber, just generally pretending to be dead
  • Mantis Man: posing as a statue
  • Ant Symbiote: Waiting for someone to try to grab it...
  • Chestrap Beast: doing what it does best, waiting in a chest
  • Baddu Beetles or Cthonian Trapper: Waiting underground in ambush

But I don't know every monster in the books so I'm wondering if anyone has any other recommendations or favourites? I'm going for unusual, so the more unique to Titan the better!

HedgeWizard
Knight

Re: Fun creature features, tricks and habits?

Post by HedgeWizard » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:55 pm

Do you have some of the Pit books? These are overflowing with creatures, all of which are firmly rooted in Titan.

Chompy

Post by Chompy » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:13 pm

I have Out of the Pit and Beyond the Pit.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:37 pm

Talking about fun creatures, the Wheelies and the Jib-Jib are the first that come to mind. I can see that you already thought about the Wheelies in your context, while the Jib-Jib can be used as red herrings or to set up a ruse.
Now that I think about them, Leprechauns can be fun and surprising as well... :mrgreen:
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

bonefish

Post by bonefish » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:10 pm

Wheelies always stuck in my mind when I first encountered them all those years ago in a FF book. The picture was brilliant and the idea of these things whizzing about flinging knives was really vivid lol.

Eddie
Adventurer

Post by Eddie » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:15 pm

i use gremlins as a "Tuckers kobolds" kind of enemy.

they are very short compared to all playable races and i give them all magic-wizardry with natural mage.
makes sense to me because they are highly intelligent and malicious and cruel.

using spells which allow tests of luck (or dodge) they can drain Luck from players quite effectively while luring them into trap filled lairs...which they can escape via pre-prepared routes...all traps set off by weight so they can just run through trapped areas being too light to set off the traps