Threat

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
Julien

Threat

Post by Julien » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:20 pm

How would run en encounter where 1 of the hero is threatening a monster (with some intelligence)? There is a con special skill in the core rulebook but threatening a character is slightly different. Would you use an opposed skill check? Should an intimidate special skill be created?

Chompy

Re: Threat

Post by Chompy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:23 pm

Seems to be covered by the Bargain skill. In this case, the deal you're offering "bad things won't happen to you" in return for their "doing what you want". :P
Bargain
This Special Skill covers negotiation and persuasion.
Buying and selling of goods and treasure is an obvious
use, but bribery can also be accomplished with Bargain.
The modifiers in this case would be very different, though. So I do think there is room to add an Intimidate skill.

Factors such as whether the other person is in distress, incapacitated, outnumbered and so on. Whether you've asking something reasonable, unreasonable, dangerous, etc.
Plus the target's intelligence, whether they're smart enough to take the smart choice. And how much they hate the person asking, "I'd rather die than help you, do your worst." Or the like.

HedgeWizard
Knight

Post by HedgeWizard » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:51 pm

I second Bargin with a bonus if the character is especially menacing (v. Strong, obviously dangerous etc.)

Julien

Post by Julien » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:01 am

Thanks!

HedgeWizard
Knight

Post by HedgeWizard » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:20 pm

Just to be clear it’s obviously the case that the one with the bargain skill doesn’t necessarily have to to be physically imposing. They can do the talking while other characters act as the rather muscular threat. Mr Big in the film Zootropolis is a great example of this.