Citadel of Chaos Orc-Like Creatures

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
SkinnyOrc
Hero

Citadel of Chaos Orc-Like Creatures

Post by SkinnyOrc » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:14 am

I've been playing the old Citadel of Chaos gamebook with my son and noticed something I'm wondering about. If you look at the wrong book in the library, or too many, a squad of guards materialise behind you. They're described as "Orc-like" and the tallest one blows a puff of breath into your eyes causing you to lose conciousness.

Any ideas what these creatures are? I can't think of any orc-like creatures with teleportation and sleep breath, although I suppose that could be from magical items or spells. In which case they could be any of the several orc-like creatures, such as blackhearts.

HedgeWizard
Knight

Re: Citadel of Chaos Orc-Like Creatures

Post by HedgeWizard » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:58 am

Do they appear elsewhere in the book? Also do they teleport or seem too (in reality jump out from behind a bookcase).

Do they even exist (again do they come back)? Could it be a combination of an Illusion spell with a sleep minor spell?

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:29 am

It's the only place they appear I think. They definitely materialize, "You wheel round in time to see Orc-like creatures, armed and on guard, materializing one after the other behind you."

After you fall unconscious you wake in the jail, so someone's carrying you there. But it is possible the librarian casts an illusion, then a sleep spell, and someone else turns up in a bit to take you away.

Before that he appears to be listening for something while you read a book and then looks at you quizzically. It suggests to me he's using some sort of magical scrying to sense your thoughts while reading, and realises you're an enemy.

HedgeWizard
Knight

Post by HedgeWizard » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:22 pm

Sounds like magic to me! Nice use of Illusion (1), Sleep (2) and Combine (+2). So doesn’t necessarily have to be a powerful magic user but good combination.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:24 am

Using Combine is an interesting idea, it would certainly fit that. If they're an illusion I doubt the blowing in the eyes could coincide with the Sleep spell otherwise. The purpose of the illusion might be to distract in case the Sleep fails and another spell needs to be cast.

Sleep is a very effective spell against a single opponent, with only a test for LUCK to resist. I've been generally treating spell effect LUCK tests as SKILL tests, which gives more experienced PCs a better chance. But of course that also gives the player the option of testing LUCK if they want.

I believe the ESP spell would cover the magical scrying. It's limited to "emotions and general thoughts", but if the target's reading a book about the Dire family and they've come to kill Balthus Dire then that's probably enough.

Another possibility is the creatures were invisible when entering the room and became visible as they surrounded the hero. The sleep breath could be something like a Dust of Sleep magical item which they blew from an upheld palm, same effect as a Sleep spell.

HedgeWizard
Knight

Post by HedgeWizard » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:31 pm

Basically lots of different ways to combine magical effects to do something. It’s a good case study for any directors looking to do something more than just “Evil wizard zaps you with lightning.”

This range of tools and approaches is one of the reasons why I love AFF!