Maelstrom Manors Book for AFF

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
HedgeWizard
Knight

Maelstrom Manors Book for AFF

Post by HedgeWizard » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:36 pm

In case you are not following Arion Games other line Maelstrom then I thought I’d make a recommendation for you.

Maelstrom Domesday Manors Book, absolutely fantastic little piece of work. It basically gives you a toolset to create a detailed village with villagers and its own history. The book is aimed at creating a village in England after the Norman Conquest (1086 to be specific) but a lot of it you can use for AFF. Just a couple of modifications and you could make a whole range of villages for your hero’s to find, defend and who knows even rule!

Wondering about making a translation document for AFF but don’t know what’s allowed in terms of copyright.
Last edited by HedgeWizard on Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Re: Maelstrom Manors Book for AFF

Post by Nuvole! » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:11 pm

Sounds interesting!
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:43 pm

Unfortunately this one came in just after I'd purchased my usual Christmas present to myself of Arion PDFs. You have to make sure you get something good in your presents!

I've been impressed with the Maelstrom Domesday line, the core book especially is maybe Arion's nicest looking yet. A medieval village toolkit sounds very useful. Here's the DTRPG link for anyone interested, https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/34 ... Manor-Book.
HedgeWizard wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:36 pm
Wondering about making a translation document for AFF but don’t know what’s allowed in terms of copyright.
How much adaptation would it need for AFF2? Maybe a series of posts here would do it.

HedgeWizard
Knight

Post by HedgeWizard » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:41 pm

I agree with you that the books are great to read. Beautiful artwork which gives you a great feeling of the time and excellent and entertaining writing.

The thoughts which I had:

- move towards d6 for everything (to align more with AFF as Maelstrom uses d100, d10 etc).
- advice on different community structures such as almost all of the villagers being free as opposed to vassals.
- tips on how different structures affect the jobs available.
- alignment of prices/incomes with AFF.
- other tips on fitting it to AFF adventures (temples and priest being an obvious one compared to simple churches).

I was also thinking of modifying the events chart so that it would focus less on ordinary (but interesting) events and more on magical/heroic ones to fit with AFF’s general tone.

Your thoughts?

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:27 pm

Okay so apart from adapting it to use only d6 it's mostly fitting it to Titan in various ways.

If there's tables using 1-100 I've found the best way to do it is often 1d6 for the first digit and 1d6 for the second. That gives you 36 options (11-16, 21-26 and so on), which is often enough because the 1-100 table assigns more than one number to some options. Importantly it's an equal chance of getting each row on the table, which if you roll multiple d6s and add them up it isn't. If 36 isn't enough you can roll another 1d6 first and have 1-2 give the first set of 36, 3-4 the second and 5-6 the third, giving slightly more than 100 options. If that make sense. :)

HedgeWizard
Knight

Post by HedgeWizard » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:01 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:27 pm
Okay so apart from adapting it to use only d6 it's mostly fitting it to Titan in various ways.
Yep that pretty much sums up what I’m aiming to do. Started jotting some things down but going to try and bring it all together.

Thanks for the tips with the d100 table, think I’ll use the plain d66.