Apologies...

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
Dawndeath
Adventurer

Apologies...

Post by Dawndeath » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:40 pm

Hi guys,

I'm sorry for being inactive on the forum for so long. This past year has been by far the worst of my life (as I'm sure it has for many people), including the unexpected death of an immediate family member (nothing to do with Covid), and a number of other circumstances contributing to extended bouts of depression unlike anything I've experienced before, and from which I have not yet fully recovered.

I have been trying to keep myself busy whenever I was able to do so, with work, studying and writing material for AFF; though obviously I have not accomplished as much as I would have liked to. Unfortunately interaction with other people - even online - has been all but impossible to handle unless absolutely necessary, which is why although I have popped into the forum from time to time to keep up with what's happening, I have not felt able to post even the shortest of comments. I'm going to try to post from time to time moving forward, but if I go silent again, I hope you will understand and bear with me.

One of the things I have been working on to try to keep my mind busy is writing an AFF campaign built up of adventures converted from the AFF First Edition books, the original FF gamebooks, a few other sources, as well as some original pieces. It is very far from complete, and I am still working on it whenever I can.

However, due to health issues which I do not wish to discuss (and I am sorry to be a little morbid here), there is a possibility that I may not be around indefinitely to complete or run the campaign (I do not currently have either a gaming group, or the capacity to GM even if I did). Although of course the vast majority of the credit rightly belongs to the original authors of the material I've used, I have worked a little hard on this, and I would just be sad if it was all for nothing.

I had thought about posting the adventures here on the forum. But the problem is that I have used some copyrighted material - for example, the map of Port Blacksand available for purchase on DriveThruRPG, as well as some artwork from the original adventure publications - and I'm not sure it's appropriate (or even legal) to just hand out those resources as if I own them. I'm happy to send everything to Graham and let him decide what to do with them. Otherwise I'm interested to hear suggestions from anyone else about what to do.

I'm also trying to work on some more articles for the fanzine, in case they're of interest.

I'm sorry for being a bit of a downer with this post. But I wanted you guys to know that I'm still here, and enjoying the game as best I can. Hope you are all doing well.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Re: Apologies...

Post by Nuvole! » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:18 pm

These are complicate times...
best of luck!
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

HedgeWizard
Knight

Post by HedgeWizard » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:45 pm

Sorry to hear that things have been so rough for you this last year. You don’t need to apologise, look after yourself and take the time you need. We really appreciate what you post but health (mental and physical) before all things!

For your campaign if you want to share how about you share a copy where you’ve removed the copyright images and reference them if needed?

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:56 pm

I would definitely send it to Graham!

Best of luck with life, physical health, mental health and everything. It certainly has been tough.
Warlock Returns AFF Discord channel: https://discord.gg/hpCRJkw

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:34 am

Thank you for your kind words, guys, I really appreciate them.

I think I will send everything to Graham once it's all compiled. It's mostly just to know that someone else has them just in case things don't go the way I hope.

About HedgeWizard's suggestion of simply removing the copyrighted material - that's good advice, and I could certainly remove most (if not all) of the artwork which was generally added for flavour. However, some of the maps and other images are essential for the players, but have also been modified/edited by me specifically for these adventures, so that I can't simply point people towards them in the original source material. Hence my uncertainty about what to do with them.

I'm still hoping that everything will work out okay, and that I'll one day be able to finish and actually run this campaign. I'm just going through the process of making sure that everything is sorted out in case things don't work out the way I might want.

Appreciate you guys still being here.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:54 am

You've certainly been missed around here, but the important thing is to do whatever you need to look after yourself.

On your project, my opinion is as long as it's a free fan work you can probably get away with including some edited versions of published maps. Just keep it to a minimum, and have a statement acknowledging the sources and that you're not challenging the copyright. If the owner has a problem with it they'll let you know. Of course if Graham is able to publish it then that won't matter.