Rations prices?

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
Skyrock

Rations prices?

Post by Skyrock » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:33 pm

It might sound like a stupid question, and probably I'mjust missing it, but I can't find an entry for rations and their price in the equipment section on p106ff.

As they play a pretty vital role for healing and prolonged travel (whether overland or dungeon exploration), I'd like an official answer on that.

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Re: Rations prices?

Post by MountainPeak11 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:14 am

Skyrock wrote:It might sound like a stupid question, and probably I'mjust missing it, but I can't find an entry for rations and their price in the equipment section on p106ff.

As they play a pretty vital role for healing and prolonged travel (whether overland or dungeon exploration), I'd like an official answer on that.
Good point - all that's listed are tavern meals and flagons of ale. I'm afraid I don't know either as I never thought of that. xD

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:17 am

Page 108 under general equipment:

Food / day (fresh) 2gp 17sp 14sp
Food / day (preserved) 4gp 35sp 3gp

I would say that fresh was only good for a couple of days, and this is one decent meal (for the purposes of restoring STAMINA)

Skyrock

Post by Skyrock » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:19 pm

Ah, food... I didn't think of looking up under that. I thought of "ration" and "meal", but not of that one.

Thanks a lot.

It's a bit odd that travel rations are more expensive than tavern meals. But then again, as they can be carried around they are of more value from a gameplay perspective.

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:34 pm

I like it when finding food is part of the game and not automatic - it brings an edge of realism. Particularly when, if provisions run out and food can't be found, the heroes have to go hungry and lose Stamina. Makes them think harder about journeys in the wilderness, and much more glad to see the signs of habitation as evening sets in - a few fields, a worn track, and then the lights of a village in the valley below.

Are there rules in AFF for the effects of hunger? I think in Shamutanti Hills it was -3 Stamina for each day without a meal, or something like that.

Skyrock

Post by Skyrock » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:19 pm

AFF2 has a similar rule on p.65, although here it are "just" -2 Stamina.

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:31 am

Thanks.

I think that's too low, given that you lose 3 Stamina from not sleeping, and gain 4 with a night's sleep.

I'd say it should be -3 Stamina for no food, and -1 Skill for no sleep. Then a meal restores 2 Stamina, and a decent night's sleep restores 1 Skill and 2 further Stamina.

spaceLem

Post by spaceLem » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:33 pm

How many days does (or should) it take for you to starve to death? At 2 per day, that's only a week for my character.

While they may not be operating at full Skill, I'd have thought that an adventurer could go a bit longer without food before becoming one of the unfortunate grinning skeletons to grace a typical FF cover.
I love tea!

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:00 pm

spaceLem wrote:How many days does (or should) it take for you to starve to death? At 2 per day, that's only a week for my character.

While they may not be operating at full Skill, I'd have thought that an adventurer could go a bit longer without food before becoming one of the unfortunate grinning skeletons to grace a typical FF cover.
Fair point. I guess people can go months before dying, if it's just food they're lacking not water. But they'd be pretty incapacitated after a shorter period.

So how about:
No water for 1 day: -3 Stamina, -1 Skill
No food for 1 day: -1 Stamina, -1 Skill

The table here seems quite useful: http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/ ... hout-water
Although I don't think it's worth trying to simulate that in game mechanics.

spaceLem

Post by spaceLem » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:12 pm

Yep, I think that works (and now I know that a quart is about 1.14 litres, which I'm sure will come in handy one day).
I love tea!