Creatures of Khul

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
John.F

Creatures of Khul

Post by John.F » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:51 am

Hello, all!

I'm very much enjoying my recently purchased 2011 editions of AFF books (despite the sorely unfortunate proofing problems of the main rules text). I've never read any of the Fighting Fantasy novels, so I'm letting these three books be my only guides.

In deciding where to start my first campaign, Allansia is obviously a good choice, but I also have my eye on Khul for its exotic flavor.

My question: Are there any signature monsters for the Dark Continent? I get the threats of the Wastes of Chaos and the wandering tribes of humanoids, but I can't seem to find any truly characteristic threats in the Titan book or Out of the Pit. Should I be thinking more about other humans as villains? Perhaps initiate intrigues in the courts of Hachiman or dip onto the rivalries of the Inland Sea?

Thanks,
John

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:19 am

Didn't some colonies of Dark Elves start out in Khul? I'm doing a campaign round them in the Old World and I'm sure I read that somewhere...

Skyrock

Post by Skyrock » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:41 pm

Hachiman has some very distinct monsters, as Shikome, Rokuro-Kubi or Kappa. The latter have made it into OOTP as Kokomokoa.

You can also check which books were set in Khul and then read up their encounter lists on the FF Wikia: http://fightingfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/K ... et_in_Khul

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:01 pm

Skyrock wrote: You can also check which books were set in Khul and then read up their encounter lists on the FF Wikia: http://fightingfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/K ... et_in_Khul
That's a good tip. I wonder what differences one would find between the continents doing that. One of my mild criticisms of the Titan setting is that a lot of the creatures and inhabitants are the same from one part of the world to another, even on different continents.

John.F

Post by John.F » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:20 pm

Skyrock wrote:Hachiman has some very distinct monsters, as Shikome, Rokuro-Kubi or Kappa. The latter have made it into OOTP as Kokomokoa.

You can also check which books were set in Khul and then read up their encounter lists on the FF Wikia: http://fightingfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/K ... et_in_Khul
Thanks! Even if only some "exoticized" versions of standard monsters are there, it'll be a start.

Skyrock

Post by Skyrock » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:27 am

Looking at the book list, I think Hachiman (Sword of the Samurai) or the Inland Sea (Seas of Blood) would be the best bets to get something that feels unique.

Hachiman is essentially Japan and employs a lot of mythological beasts from that area.
One thing I personally dislike is that Hachiman is presented as a relatively united and stable nation facing the outside threat of Ikiru and his army of darkness. While a good campaign could be made from that; I'd personally prefer something along the lines of the Sengoku period when the provinces and daimyos were openly warring with each other, without any recognized central power (as the Shogun is on Titan). Apart from standard fantasy adventures, this would be full of possibilities for political maneuvering, battles, espionage, sabotage and all the other niceties war among humans has to offer.

The Inland Sea is essentially Sindbad + Ulisses (Circe, Cyclops, Aeolus) + Sandokan, with a bit of Egypt/Ancient Middle East, Tortuga and stock fantasy thrown in for good measure.

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:34 am

I never liked Hachiman at all. Just seemed so unimaginative to have a fantasy replica of Japan plonked down on one of the three continents. In fact Khul in general never really appealed to me; I felt it was used as a dumping ground for gamebook settings that wouldn't fit into Allansia or The Old World.

John.F

Post by John.F » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:01 am

torus wrote: Khul in general never really appealed to me; I felt it was used as a dumping ground for gamebook settings that wouldn't fit into Allansia or The Old World.
That does seem to be the case, but lots of game systems have campaign settings that can be accused of the same. Often, there's a kitchen sink mentality to fantasy world design to ensure there are areas of a published setting that will appeal to all customers' tastes. Hachiman, however, does seem to be a pretty uninspired, tacked-on afterthought.

But, I suppose that will happen when a setting is being made up as it goes along, as was the case with Titan. I can only applaud the attempt at cohesion and turn a blind eye to the incongruities. There's enough charm on Allansia to make it worth my time. Khul, specifically, is another story.

And now this has me thinking about the typical real word analogs in fantasy settings and how that applies to Titan. I think this calls for a new thread...