Wizard Combat Question 1: Missile Timing

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
John.F

Wizard Combat Question 1: Missile Timing

Post by John.F » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:02 am

If "the effects of any missile weapon attacks are resolved first, followed by any magical spells," pg 58, but a spell like Ward "deflects one arrow, spear or other thrown or fired missile away from the caster," pg 75, how does one interpret this?

My assumption is that the Ward will NOT protect the caster on the same round in which it was cast. Rather, it will be in effect for a subsequent round.

For example:
Combat Round 1: Troglodyte fires arrow at Wizard as the Wizard casts Ward (and another spell, which is allowed in the Ward rules); the arrow strikes and injures the Wizard, but the Wizard still casts Ward (and, perhaps, the other spell) successfully.

Combat Round 2: Troglodyte fires another arrow at Wizard as Wizard casts another spell; the arrow is deflected by the Ward already in place.

That's the way I see it.

Skyrock

Post by Skyrock » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:17 am

That's what the wording would say.

That being said, I think Ward was intended to be used as a reactive spell similar to Counterspell, and would allow the caster to drop his action to use this spell in the missile phase instead. Otherwise, it would have little use compared to other protective spells as Mirror Selves.

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:50 am

Note also that ward apparently only works against one missile.

So here's another question: does Ward (in your game) work as a failsafe if a missile would otherwise hit, or does it just negate any one attack? In other words is it
  • a) While Ward is in place you resolve missile attacks as normal, with opposed rolls between spellcaster and attacker, but if the latter wins, Ward blocks the missile and is used up, otherwise the missile misses and the Ward stays in place.
    b) If any attacker declares a missile attack then that uses up the Ward (along with 1 missile..) with no need to roll.
What about if the attacker uses rapid fire? Or if two attackers fire at the spellcaster - which is blocked?

spaceLem

Post by spaceLem » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:17 pm

torus wrote:Note also that ward apparently only works against one missile.
What about if the attacker uses rapid fire? Or if two attackers fire at the spellcaster - which is blocked?
I'd let the defender choose (before knowing the damage of course, but not a problem if they've been paying attention), or roll randomly to decide.
I love tea!