Adventure resources

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
Post Reply
User avatar
torus
Knight
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:18 pm

Adventure resources

Post by torus » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:26 am

I've been looking around for material to use as campaign/adventure material for AFF. There are of course tons of potential material in the original FF gamebooks, but actually they do take a bit of work to convert in my experience, unless someone has already made maps, which is a big help. There was an earlier thread about that. Another resource is the Riddling Reaver campaign, if you can get a copy; quite a decent series of adventures; I remember running it back in 1987 or thereabouts. And the Myriador d20 modules started a conversion of Sorcery! Never read them myself; anyone here tried them?

And of couse there are the mini adventures appearing here and in Fighting Fantazine..

But what about stuff from other games/settings? The best fit I've found so far are adventures written for the various Elric games, excluding stuff that's too specific to that world (e.g. Melniboneans), but a lot of it you can just change a few names. For example I've found the recent Mongoose book Cities of the Young Kingdoms: The South to be great in this regard. (The PDF is also dirt cheap on DriveThruRPG.)

Any other suggestions? Perhaps some WFRP stuff could be set in the Old World? I don't think D&D stuff is quite right, not gritty enough, but perhaps I'm wrong (never really liked it to be honest).

Skyrock
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:18 pm

Post by Skyrock » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:21 pm

Solution maps for FF books can be found here: http://outspaced.fightingfantasy.org/PD ... n_Maps.pdf

---

There are today tons of generic dungeoncrawls under the umbrella of the old-school renaissance, and mostly for free or dirt-cheap.

They are mostly written for AD&D1E and older, or respectively their retro-clones as Labyrinth Lord or OSRIC.
But conversion to FF isn't really a biggie:
- Just assign Skill and Stamina to get your monster (if it isn't already covered by OOTP)
- Tone down treasure
- Tone down magic items by replacing it with one-shot items or mundane loot


As a starting place, you can look at the One-Page Dungeon contests of the last three years: http://campaignwiki.org/wiki/DungeonMap ... on_Contest

User avatar
torus
Knight
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:18 pm

Post by torus » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:34 pm

Skyrock wrote:
As a starting place, you can look at the One-Page Dungeon contests of the last three years: http://campaignwiki.org/wiki/DungeonMap ... on_Contest
Yes I forgot about those - I had bookmarked them previously as some of them are definitely suitable for AFF.

John.F
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:45 pm
Location: NYC

Post by John.F » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:05 pm

Skyrock wrote:Solution maps for FF books can be found here: http://outspaced.fightingfantasy.org/PD ... n_Maps.pdf
Brilliant! Thanks for this!

User avatar
torus
Knight
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:18 pm

Post by torus » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:04 am

Skyrock wrote:
They are mostly written for AD&D1E and older, or respectively their retro-clones as Labyrinth Lord or OSRIC.
But conversion to FF isn't really a biggie:
- Just assign Skill and Stamina to get your monster (if it isn't already covered by OOTP)
- Tone down treasure
- Tone down magic items by replacing it with one-shot items or mundane loot
Okay I haven't played any form of D&D for about 25 years, but here's what I reckon as a rough rule of thumb for converting monster/NPC combat stats, in cases where there isn't an obvious OotP equivalent.
  • STAMINA: Same as Hit Points
    SKILL: 5 + the average of (9 - Armour Class) and Attack Bonus
    Damage: Determined by weapon used
    Attacks: 1 unless particularly big or dangerous
    Armour: Use the following equivalences:
    • 9: none
      8: Monster Light Armour
      7: Leather Hauberk
      6: Monster Medium Armour
      5: Chainmail Hauberk
      4: Monster Heavy Armour
      3: Plate Armour
What do you think? Haven't thought about Magic or Skills yet.

Skyrock
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:18 pm

Post by Skyrock » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:03 pm

I don't think that a wildly escalating level-based system like D&D can be directly converted into a relatively narrow and simulative system like Fighting Fantasy, where cannon fodder ends up at 4-6 Skill, while even such biggies as Dragons and Giants hardly go beyond Skill 12. It's best just to roughly eye-ball how tough the monster is in comparison to other monsters, and then to give it about the skill and stamina of a comparable FF monster.

As for armor, I'd only use None, Light, Medium and Heavy, as that is all what monsters get unless they are modeled like PCs. Also note that armor in FF actually reflects armor and nothing else, while D&D also takes dodiging, size, speed etc. into consideration for determining AC (which in FF is rather covered by a high skill and negligible armor).

User avatar
bottg
Site Admin
Posts: 1369
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:53 pm

Post by bottg » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:20 am

Skyrock wrote:I don't think that a wildly escalating level-based system like D&D can be directly converted into a relatively narrow and simulative system like Fighting Fantasy, where cannon fodder ends up at 4-6 Skill, while even such biggies as Dragons and Giants hardly go beyond Skill 12. It's best just to roughly eye-ball how tough the monster is in comparison to other monsters, and then to give it about the skill and stamina of a comparable FF monster.

As for armor, I'd only use None, Light, Medium and Heavy, as that is all what monsters get unless they are modeled like PCs. Also note that armor in FF actually reflects armor and nothing else, while D&D also takes dodiging, size, speed etc. into consideration for determining AC (which in FF is rather covered by a high skill and negligible armor).
These are good points. There is of course guidance in the core rulebook about designing your own monsters, and if you have pre-existing stats from another game, it is even easier. It is of course very easy to make powers up for monsters.

User avatar
torus
Knight
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:18 pm

Post by torus » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:26 am

I agree to a large extent that it's best to re-stat opponents & NPCs rather than convert them, particularly for 'high level' D&D adventures. However I still think it's useful to think about the relative scales of key stats, so as to have a starting point for cases where there is no FF equivalent.

Anyway I still feel that D&D isn't the best source of material for AFF, merely the most abundant. Something cartoonish about it, kobolds and paladins and gelatinous cubes and such, it just seems wrong in the same way the US covers for FF books were so wrong.

User avatar
torus
Knight
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:18 pm

Post by torus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:44 am

Thread necromancy here (I invoke Zharradan Marr), but I just found these nice free 1-page adventures on the Dungeonslayers site which would fit pretty well into Titan: http://www.dungeonslayers.com/?page_id=236

Post Reply