Adventurers - born or made?

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Adventurers - born or made?

Post by Slloyd14 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:10 am

Do adventurers have better than average stats to begin with or do they begin as average villagers who put themselves out there and managed to survive and achieve some success?

If it is the latter, we could have a '0 level' rules structure and campaign where adventurers start off with low skill and stamina (skill 4-6, stamina 6-8) and have adventures which raise their experience.

This means that when they are at the same level as starting adventurers they have some background, they have already made friends and enemies and may have some special items.

What do we all think?
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:51 pm

That would certainly give more scope for character improvement, which a lot of players like. I'd probably give higher starting stamina though.

I also think some initial low-level adventures would work well in one of the less dangerous parts of Titan. Maybe some inhabitants of a village in the Shamutanti Hills or the Vale of Yore have to get help from Analand or Salamonis, because people and livestock have been disappearing from the village, and lights have been seen in the nearby woods at night.

John.F

Post by John.F » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:40 pm

I'd figured that, under the current 2E model, starting adventurers already came to the table with a bit of a past. Perhaps not much of one, but one allowing them to be more formidable than, say, a starting character in D&D.

As a matter of fact, I'm relying on the above premise for a suite of Halloween-appropriate adventures I'm preparing which begin with the heroes dead and in a mysterious limbo-like realm. Their short pasts as young adventurers have something to do with why their souls - and, apparently, bodies - have been pulled to this place. If they can figure it all out, a second chance at life awaits. If they fail, they "become" something terrible...

skathros

Post by skathros » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:27 am

Sounds very cool, John.F!

John.F

Post by John.F » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:09 am

skathros wrote:Sounds very cool, John.F!
Thanks! It's my first Allansian Suite. I'm quite excited!

We might be doing Google+ sessions later in the month. Who wants in? :D

(Sorry for going off topic.)

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:38 am

That'd be awesome! It would also get me more on google+. :P

ReaperWolf

Post by ReaperWolf » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:23 pm

One of the problems I see a lot when players are handed a point based skill system is they have no idea what to take so players naturally load up on the skills they figure will make them better adventurers neglecting to take knowledge/lores, languages, and other background type skills.

Maybe a simple flow breaking down character creation into a series of simple steps covering birth to current state, i.e. adventurer.

Say a character is born to a freeman farm family. The character would likely spend their childhood through adolescence working on the family farm learning horticulture, animal care, drive cart, and maybe a few other skills such as cooking, carpentry, etc. Afterwards the character is apprenticed to learn a trade or continues working on the farm or since the character is an adventurer maybe goes on his/her first adventure.

So by making a few decisions and spending a few points here and there a player put together a simple but detailed background accounting for all the skills he/she picked up on the way.

Maybe the farmer regularly hunted to supplement their incomes, or studied herbalism with a local wisewoman/herbalist. Maybe a traveling hedge-wizard came through the area and performed a few minor miracles.

Just about anything is possible and if done in a group players can collaborate on their backgrounds get a better feel for their characters as opposed to just being dumped into the world cold.

It shouldn't be too difficult to cook up a few backgrounds and some logical background paths.

Those familiar with Cyberpunk 2020 should recognize this although I'm not keen on the randomness so I'd just keep it based upon decisions.

>>ReaperWolf

spaceferret

Post by spaceferret » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:16 pm

ReaperWolf wrote:One of the problems I see a lot when players are handed a point based skill system is they have no idea what to take so players naturally load up on the skills they figure will make them better adventurers neglecting to take knowledge/lores, languages, and other background type skills.

Maybe a simple flow breaking down character creation into a series of simple steps covering birth to current state, i.e. adventurer......
I like this idea a lot. Generally when I try to create a character, either helping a player in my game, or any character for me in most systems I've played, I find it's best to start with a background and work from there; you often get a shortlist of more skills than you have points to take! If you try to take a skillset and fit in a background, you'll get something, but it never feels quite like a rounded-off character to me.

Formerly going through character generation in a group like that sounds like it would be a good way to ease new players into the game system as well.

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:15 am

There was a previous very brief thread on character backgrounds: http://arion-games.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=293

I'm a big fan of this method of character generation. It's also a great way to introduce the setting and sometimes even generate some plot ideas. Personally I semi-formalise it by allowing players to pick a place of origin and a career or occupation, which then informs thd skills and talents they can pick. I have some simple career tables to help with this.

PaulB

Post by PaulB » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:53 pm

ReaperWolf wrote:Those familiar with Cyberpunk 2020 should recognize this although I'm not keen on the randomness so I'd just keep it based upon decisions.
You can find similar takes on generating a detailed character background / statistics set in the likes of PARANOIA's Criminal Histories and the classic Heroes of... trilogy of the late 80s - Heroes of Legend, Heroes Now!, and Heroes of Tomorrow - by Paul Jaquays.

Nuvole!
Hero

Post by Nuvole! » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:31 pm

Personally, I like too having characters that start from zero ("fighting rats and cocroaches"), before improving gradually, rather than start immediately with "saving the world every other day"... sounds more realistic to me...
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.