Character building for non adventurers

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Character building for non adventurers

Post by Slloyd14 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:13 am

I was just thinking on starting the heroes off before they actually become adventurers. How does this sound?

Background - first the hero comes up with a background for their character. They may start with a social scale of 0 or 1. They may choose a background along with bonuses based on their social scale. The knight or status talents are not allowed.

If the hero's social scale is 0:

Criminal

gets 1 point in two stealth skills.

Mercanary

Gets 1 point in con and 1 point in a weapon skill.

Beggar

Gets 1 point in disguise, 1 point in con and 1 point in hide.

If the hero's social scale is 1:

Peasant

Gets 1 point in (terrain) lore and 1 point in crafting.

Soldier

Gets 1 point in weapon and 1 point in armour.

Hunter/Ranger

Gets 1 point in hunting and (terrain) lore.

Fisher

Gets 1 point in fishing and sea lore.

Skill = 3
Stamina = 6
Luck = 8
Magic = 0

You have 6 points to distribute.

Skill - maximum of 2 points may be added.
Stamina - maximum of 6 points may be added.
Luck - maximum of 3 points may be added.
Magic - maximum of 2 points may be added.

Racial modifiers - as in the book.

Racial special skills - as in the book.

Starting skills - six skills have 1 point.

Talents - 1 talent as in the book.

These heroes' first adventures will be a bit more role playing and non combat orientated. The heroes should still have a nice selection of skills and a range of backgrounds from tough soldiers to law abiding citizens to criminals.

Skills might be a little low for some situations, so there could be an additional rule that if a hero tests their luck successfully on a skill roll, they can get a +3 bonus to that test?

What do people think?
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Bronn

Post by Bronn » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:41 pm

As a fan of gritty "low level" play I love it!

That said, I still consider such characters to be adventurers. Common men have what, Skill 6, Stamina 5 with no Luck score or access to magic? An adventurer created under these rules is a seasoned veteran by comparison. A PC generated under RAW would be something like 5th level in OD&D money.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:59 pm

Thanks for your comments, Bronn.

A normal person has a skill of 5-6 and a stamina of 6-7 according to page 23 of the AFF book.

I thought I would include luck for people for a couple of reasons:

1) I think that everyone has a luck score - it's just not given in the combat stats.

2) Everyone should have a luck score when avoiding magic. NPCs that don't have a luck score use their skill to avoid/resist spells. This may give them an advantage as luck goes down every time they resist a spell but skill does not.

You are right that the scores I have given still make the heroes more powerful than normal people.

Maybe:

Skill = 3
Stamina = 4
Luck = 8
Magic = 0

You have 5 points to distribute amongst characteristics. I think starting luck should be the same as this never changes apart from with powerful magic or by gods' blessings.

Skill - a maximum of 3 points may be added.
Stamina - a maximum of 6 points may be added.
Luck - a maximum of 3 points may be added.
Magic - a maximum of 2 points may be added.

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Bronn

Post by Bronn » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:02 am

Slloyd14 wrote:Thanks for your comments, Bronn.

A normal person has a skill of 5-6 and a stamina of 6-7 according to page 23 of the AFF book.
My copy lists Stamina as 7 or 8. It's a touch too high by my reckoning, especially compared to monsters, but I take your point.

I thought I would include luck for people for a couple of reasons:

1) I think that everyone has a luck score - it's just not given in the combat stats.

2) Everyone should have a luck score when avoiding magic. NPCs that don't have a luck score use their skill to avoid/resist spells. This may give them an advantage as luck goes down every time they resist a spell but skill does not.

You are right that the scores I have given still make the heroes more powerful than normal people.

Maybe:

Skill = 3
Stamina = 4
Luck = 8
Magic = 0

You have 5 points to distribute amongst characteristics. I think starting luck should be the same as this never changes apart from with powerful magic or by gods' blessings.

Skill - a maximum of 3 points may be added.
Stamina - a maximum of 6 points may be added.
Luck - a maximum of 3 points may be added.
Magic - a maximum of 2 points may be added.
Looks good, although giving non-adventurers a Luck score will substantially alter the tenor of the game, imo. I view FF's Luck as a mechanical forerunner to Fate Points - something rare and special that only a select few can access. That said, if you want to open them up then cool; it's not like it'll break the game or anything. :)

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:23 am

Sorry, yes the stamina is 7 or 8.

I've never thought that deeply about luck. I thought of luck as something that everyone had - it's just that you didn't need to know about it where NPCs are concerned, although having it a special also makes sense. Also, the book did not give a value for a normal person's luck. I wonder if there's an official line on who gets luck.

Bronn

Post by Bronn » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:23 pm

I see it as similar to talents and magic - the province of a rare few.

On which note, if you make talents and magic available to the general population it'll also lead to a very different feel. A potentially good one, mind; I can easily envisage an AFF supporting play in RuneQuest's Glorantha where most people have a spell or two.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:25 pm

This looks like another option for my project of having totally inexperienced starting characters made up for a quickstart in less than 5 minutes...
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:35 pm

Hullalla wrote:This looks like another option for my project of having totally inexperienced starting characters made up for a quickstart in less than 5 minutes...
This was my practice for my '0 level' rules.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:05 am

This is the game I would like to run:
http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=54355&date=1359323969
How does it sound?
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

michaeltaylor

Re:

Post by michaeltaylor » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:22 pm

Hullalla wrote:This is the game I would like to run:
http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=54355&date=1359323969
How does it sound?

I can't find your game!
My apologies, but game ID "54355" no longer exists.
Main Menu
Go Back

:(

Nuvole!
Archmage

Re: Character building for non adventurers

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:35 am

Hey, have a look at the dates when that game was played!
That's done and dusted now :wink: