The City of Thieves

torus
Knight

The City of Thieves

Post by torus » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:16 pm

Just re-read this and had forgotten what a good book it is - the best of the three original AFF books I think. Blacksand is a fantastic city setting, packed full of great adventure hooks - but with plenty of scope for Directors to fill in. Plus there's lots of good material on urban settings in general, and an adventure set in the city.

I'd love to see a reissue with just a few more details fleshed out, e.g. a bit more on the major NPCs and something about the city's hinterland - maybe a map of the surrounding region.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:07 am

That is the plan. Hopefully by the end of this year, we will rerelease most of that book, with some new Steve Luxton maps and some additional material to cover both Blacksand itself and general city adventures. And pirates

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:36 pm

Ahh Happy ? Memories of the city of Thieves both solo hunting the means to destroy Xanbar Bone then directing an eventfull trek through Blacksands sewers. Dose this mean the return of Sargon :twisted: I wonder? :D

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:45 pm

I've never read the original Blacksand but I can't wait for the reissue! What I'd love to see is a detailed account of Carsepolis and possibly a map of some kind? I've been wanting to put it into an RPG campaign but I'm having trouble just because it seems to give the impression that it's such a massive place...

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:17 pm

I agree it would be good to flesh this out a bit. It's implied that parts of the ruins of Carsepolis now comprise a subterranean complex underneath Blacksand, with various entry points from tunnels, sewers and the foundations of some buildings - including the dungeons in Azzur's palace. Not quite clear how that all works since presumably Carsepolis was an actual city beforehand, and not an underground one. But perhaps there were extensive catacombs and even natural cave systems beneath it. Either way it makes great fodder for adventure ideas.

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:15 pm

The fact that Blacksand has links to Carsepolis is possibly fairly logical. If memory serves me well Carsepolis was destroyed in either the Chaos war, or the wizards war and Blacksand grew from the wreckage, add to that thousands of years of building demolition and you get a build up of civilization even some where as infamous as the vermin pit that is Blacksand in all its Glory. Think of London Chester and York, think yorvik combined with the victorian sewer systems in places like London add monsters ancient buried evils lost cults and dark secrets. A campaign in the making. pity I never have the time to sit and write adventures these days. :(

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:40 am

Azzur is a particularly interesting npc. Sort of a bad guy, yet not necessarily wholly so. You get the impression that only someone like him could hold such a city together, with it's many rival factions and tensions. Whatever about its reputation, Blacksand still represents some kind of civilisation in a world where civilisation has only a tenuous hold.

Nuvole!
Hero

Post by Nuvole! » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:21 pm

This was the first FF book I bought!
We organized the three of us friends so that each kid would buy one book and then exchange with all the others, so The City of Thieves was mine and I washed the dishes for my mum for two weeks in order to buy it!!!
The others were The Forest of Doom and The Warlock of Firetop Mountain... good memories... :D
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Nuvole!
Hero

Re:

Post by Nuvole! » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:12 pm

parkusuk wrote:That is the plan. Hopefully by the end of this year, we will rerelease most of that book, with some new Steve Luxton maps and some additional material to cover both Blacksand itself and general city adventures. And pirates
Sorry, I'm not sure I got it right: are you saying that you will rerelease the AFF book or the solo gamebook or the AFF book with also the solo gamebook conversion for AFF included? Or something else again??? :roll:
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.