0 level play for AFF 2

Slloyd14
Site Admin

0 level play for AFF 2

Post by Slloyd14 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:13 pm

I've just been introduced to Dungeon Crawl Classics (http://www.goodman-games.com/5070preview.html) from this blog (http://platonicsolid.blogspot.com/) and I loved their idea of character creation - each player starts off with 2-4 0 level characters and sends them on a mission that gets most of them killed.

I was thinking about how this could be applied to AFF2

Stats

Skill - 5
Stamina - 7
Luck - 7
Magic - 0

Edit - I'm going to make the adjustments random as everyone is just going to increase the skill of their characters.

Roll 1 die:

1-2 + 1 skill -1 stamina
3-4 +2 stamina
5-6 +1 luck

(using values given on normal humans on page 23. I have also taken 1 from luck. The idea is that characters get that back after a big quest.)

Add racial modifiers and give them their skills based on race.

Other modifiers

I was thinking of a quick way to apply a trade and appropriate skills. I thought that all players should roll 1d6 and subtract 1. That is the character's social scale (directors may subtract more as this or use 1d3 and subtract 1 or 1d3 and add 2 if there is no real reason why someone of social scale 5 should be travelling with someone of social scale 0).

Then you roll a die to determine the trade. Players can then choose skills from the lists given from their trades. Heroes pick 6 special skills from the list. They can apply 2 points to two of them and 1 point to the other four.

The following skills are available to all backgrounds: brawling, clubs, staves, thrown

Social scale 0 - beggar, mercenary or criminal

1-2 Beggar: dodge, awareness, disguise, sleight of hand, sneaking, bargain, city lore con, languages, secret signs, world lore.

3-4 Mercenary: Any combat skill, dodge, ride, sneaking, bargain, con, fishing, hunting, languages, sea lore, (terrain) lore, underground lore, world lore.

5-6 Criminal: swords, any movement skill, any stealth skill, bargain, city lore, con, evaluate, languages, law, secret signs, world lore.

Social scale 1 - Peasant or soldier

1-3 Peasant: axes, bows, strength, climb, jump, ride, swim, animal lore, fishing, healing, hunting, religion lore, sea lore, (terrain) lore.

4-6 Soldier: Any combat skill, any movement skill, fishing, hunting, (terrain) lore.

Social scale 2 - farmer or watchman

1-3 Farmer: axes, bows, strength, dodge, ride, animal lore, bargain, evaluate, fishing, healing, hunting, sea lore, (terrain) lore.

4-6 Watchman: Any combat skill, climb, dodge, jump, ride, swim, any stealth skill, bargain, city lore, con, etiquette, law, secret signs.

Social scale 3 - craftsman or sergeant

1-3 Craftsman: armour, axes, bows, strength, swords, ride, awareness, locks, trap knowledge,, animal lore, bargain, city lore, con, crafting, etiquette, evaluate, fishing, healing, hunting, languages, sea lore, secret signs, (terrain) lore, world lore.

4-6 Sergeant:Any combat skill, dodge, ride, awareness, bargain, city lore, con, etiquette, fishing, hunting, leadership, sea lore, (terrain) lore, world lore.

Social scale 4 - clerk or witch

1-3 Clerk (gains the learned or natural linguist talent): awareness, bargain, city lore, con, etiquette, evaluate, languages, law, religion lore, secret signs, magic lore.

4-6: Witch (must reduce skill by 1, stamina by 2 or luck by 1 to increase magic by 1): dodge, awareness, disguise, sleight of hand, sneaking, animal lore, city lore, con, etiquette, fishing, healing, hunting, languages, religion lore, secret signs, (terrain) lore, world lore, magic - minor, magic lore, second sight.

Social scale 5 - master craftsman or physician

1-3 Master craftsman (gains the natural crafter talent which gives a +2 bonus on all craft checks): armour, axes, bows, swords, ride, awareness, animal lore, bargain, city lore, con, crafting, etiquette, evaluate, fishing, healing, hunting, languages, law, leadership, religion lore, secret signs, (terrain lore), world lore.

4-6 Physician (gains the natural physician talent): awareness, animal lore, bargain, city lore, etiquette, fishing, healing, hunting, languages, religion lore, (terrain) lore.

Unless mentioned above, the characters do not start with a talent.

The characters then go out on a quest. Once the players have chosen the character that they can use from the survivors, then the new character gets a +1 bonus to their initial luck.

What do people think?
Last edited by Slloyd14 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:46 pm

I really like that. Char creation is fast enough that you can easily create multiple characters, but almost any character has the potential to survive...

Maybe want to award a talent after a fixed time though as they are very expensive to buy with XP

Eisenmann

Post by Eisenmann » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:09 am

We played a session using The Funnel with Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2. Here's part 1:

http://platonicsolid.blogspot.com/2012/ ... hting.html

To summarize, it went very, very well.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:45 pm

Glad to hear that your session went very well and I look forward to hearing part 2.

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Eisenmann

Post by Eisenmann » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:36 pm

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:14 pm

One of the positive aspects of this system is that is very fast and straightforward, but your contribution really improves on this aspect even more!
This way players can skip the boring phase of character building (maybe in a new system, for them) and dive into roleplaying within minutes, if not seconds!
Personally, I have the feeling that this aspect could be very useful for enlarging the number of players.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:05 pm

Hello,

I would like to set up a quick start play by post and I'm looking with interest at applying these rules.

I'm looking for starting with a totally inexperienced party of farmers / peasants that in time MAY become respected adventurers, so their starting scores should be low.

I wonder if I should add also a chance for having a (starting apprentice) wizard (or priest?) in the group, but in that case you would have to barter some skill/stamina/luck? with magic.

Do you think I should lower even more the starting scores?

My objective is to complete a (meaningful) starting character creation in less than 5 minutes.
Any further suggestion?
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:33 pm

Hullalla wrote:Hello,

I would like to set up a quick start play by post and I'm looking with interest at applying these rules.

I'm looking for starting with a totally inexperienced party of farmers / peasants that in time MAY become respected adventurers, so their starting scores should be low.

I wonder if I should add also a chance for having a (starting apprentice) wizard (or priest?) in the group, but in that case you would have to barter some skill/stamina/luck? with magic.

Do you think I should lower even more the starting scores?

My objective is to complete a (meaningful) starting character creation in less than 5 minutes.
Any further suggestion?
Hi! I'm flattered that you want to use these rules. There is a magic using character here - it is the witch, who starts with one magic point but must reduce their skill by 1 or stamina by 2 or luck by 1 for the trade off. They can learn minor magic to start with and some other magical skills such as magic lore and second sight which means that they can identify magical items and sense magical auras.

I will update these rules with talents and skills from the Heroes' Companion.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Updated 0 level play using the Heroes' Companion

Post by Slloyd14 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:04 pm

Now that the Heroes' Companion has more skills and talents, I will include them here. Each character now has a starting talent so they can now concentrate all their xp on increasing stats.

Stats

Skill - 5
Stamina - 7
Luck - 7
Magic - 0

Edit - I'm going to make the adjustments random as everyone is just going to increase the skill of their characters.

Roll 1 die:

1-2 + 1 skill -1 stamina
3-4 +2 stamina
5-6 +1 luck

(using values given on normal humans on page 23. I have also taken 1 from luck. The idea is that characters get that back after a big quest.)

Add racial modifiers and give them their skills based on race.

Other modifiers

I was thinking of a quick way to apply a trade and appropriate skills. I thought that all players should roll 1d6 and subtract 1. That is the character's social scale (directors may subtract more as this or use 1d3 and subtract 1 or 1d3 and add 2 if there is no real reason why someone of social scale 5 should be travelling with someone of social scale 0).

Then you roll a die to determine the trade. Players can then choose skills from the lists given from their trades. Heroes pick 6 special skills from the list. They can apply 2 points to two of them and 1 point to the other four.

Each character now has a talent. Some have to roll a die to determine which talent they get.

The following skills are available to all backgrounds: brawling, clubs, staves, thrown

Social scale 0 - beggar, mercenary or criminal

1-2 Beggar: dodge, awareness, disguise, sleight of hand, sneaking, bargain, city lore con, languages, secret signs, world lore.

Talent: Light sleeper.

3-4 Mercenary: Any combat skill, dodge, ride, sneaking, bargain, con, fishing, hunting, languages, sea lore, (terrain) lore, underground lore, world lore, navigation.

Talent: Strongarm

5-6 Criminal: swords, any movement skill, any stealth skill, bargain, city lore, con, evaluate, languages, law, secret signs, world lore.

Talent: Trapmaster

Social scale 1 - Peasant or soldier

1-3 Peasant: axes, bows, strength, climb, jump, ride, swim, animal lore, fishing, healing, hunting, religion lore, sea lore, (terrain) lore, navigation.

Talent: Packhorse.

4-6 Soldier: Any combat skill, any movement skill, fishing, hunting, (terrain) lore, navigation.

Talent: Lightning strike.

Social scale 2 - farmer or watchman

1-3 Farmer: axes, bows, strength, dodge, ride, animal lore, bargain, evaluate, fishing, healing, hunting, sea lore, (terrain) lore, navigation.

Talent: Survivor.

4-6 Watchman: Any combat skill, climb, dodge, jump, ride, swim, any stealth skill, bargain, city lore, con, etiquette, law, secret signs.

Talent: Combat reactions.

Social scale 3 - craftsman or sergeant

1-3 Craftsman: armour, axes, bows, strength, swords, ride, awareness, locks, trap knowledge,, animal lore, bargain, city lore, con, crafting, etiquette, evaluate, fishing, healing, hunting, languages, sea lore, secret signs, (terrain) lore, world lore, stewardship.

Talent: Silvertongued.

4-6 Sergeant:Any combat skill, dodge, ride, awareness, bargain, city lore, con, etiquette, fishing, hunting, leadership, sea lore, (terrain) lore, world lore, siege weapons, stewardship.

Talent: Natural leader.

Social scale 4 - clerk or witch

1-3 Clerk: awareness, bargain, city lore, con, etiquette, evaluate, languages, law, religion lore, secret signs, magic lore, stewardship.

Talent: Roll one die. 1-3: Learned. 4-6 Natural linguist.

4-6: Witch (must reduce skill by 1, stamina by 2 or luck by 1 to increase magic by 1): dodge, awareness, disguise, sleight of hand, sneaking, animal lore, city lore, con, etiquette, fishing, healing, hunting, languages, religion lore, secret signs, (terrain) lore, world lore, magic - minor, magic lore, second sight.

Talent: Roll one die. 1-2: Familiar 3-4 Dark veil. 5-6 Clearsight.

Social scale 5 - master craftsman or physician

1-3 Master craftsman: armour, axes, bows, swords, ride, awareness, animal lore, bargain, city lore, con, crafting, etiquette, evaluate, fishing, healing, hunting, languages, law, leadership, religion lore, secret signs, (terrain lore), world lore, stewardship, engineering.

Talent: Entrepeneur

4-6 Physician: awareness, animal lore, bargain, city lore, etiquette, fishing, healing, hunting, languages, religion lore, (terrain) lore, stewardship.

Talent: Natural physician

The characters then go out on a quest. Once the players have chosen the character that they can use from the survivors, then the new character gets a +1 bonus to their initial luck.

What do people think?

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:06 am

This is the game I would like to run:
http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=54355&date=1359323969
How does it sound?

As you can see, I gave you the credit you deserve...

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Re:

Post by Slloyd14 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:12 pm

Hullalla wrote:This is the game I would like to run:
http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=54355&date=1359323969
How does it sound?

As you can see, I gave you the credit you deserve...
Many thanks, Hullalla! I hope the adventure goes well :)

Nuvole!
Archmage

Re: 0 level play for AFF 2

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:52 pm

I'm pleased by how it started: there is a mix between FF fans / veterans and of absolute beginners that never heard of FF.
I also opened a second game in parallel http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=54371&date=1359404455 and probably we'll start early next week.
Do you want to join? just open the link and send me a private message asking so.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:44 pm

Signed up for game 2.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:11 pm

Now game 3 is approaching its launch platform...
http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=54485&date=1360180673

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:39 am

BTW, if you pop to http://www.rpol.net community chat, there is a question/thread about AFF...