Crown of the Kings review

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Crown of the Kings review

Post by Slloyd14 » Sun May 06, 2012 9:11 am

http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Bronn

Post by Bronn » Tue May 08, 2012 7:05 am

An excellent review.

I'll be picking up a copy once pay day arrives, till then I'll just look on enviously. :wink:

Quick question: what's the Mampang fortress map like? Does it extend beyond the areas described in Crown of Kings?

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Tue May 08, 2012 8:59 am

Bronn wrote: Quick question: what's the Mampang fortress map like? Does it extend beyond the areas described in Crown of Kings?
Not significantly. Partly to keep faithful to the source material, but also because the fortress is a very deadly area anyway, and it is already a major challenge to be strong enough to defeat the Archmage when you finally reach him!

Skywalker

Post by Skywalker » Wed May 09, 2012 1:03 am

My copy arrived last night. I like what I see overall and it maintains the line's quality. I love the use of the original artwork and most of the details I remember are there.

However, I did find the adventure to be a more literal conversion of the source material than I expected. I would have preferred some broader descriptions and presentation of the areas involved, with the various encounters placed inside them rather than strung together. This is especially true as the book's page count is less than originally cited 128 pages.

Bronn

Post by Bronn » Wed May 09, 2012 8:34 am

parkusuk wrote:
Bronn wrote: Quick question: what's the Mampang fortress map like? Does it extend beyond the areas described in Crown of Kings?
Not significantly. Partly to keep faithful to the source material, but also because the fortress is a very deadly area anyway, and it is already a major challenge to be strong enough to defeat the Archmage when you finally reach him!
Understood. I have an expanded map in one of my hard drives somewhere and will probably end up integrating it with yours and some of my own stuff. As a young lad Mampang was *the* FF location I wanted to see more of.
Last edited by Bronn on Wed May 09, 2012 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Wed May 09, 2012 9:01 am

The addition of new material was one i thought long and hard about. One of the big criticisms i had seem of the Myriador D20 versions was their adding in new stuff. Also, if you havn't read the original books (which many purchasers may not have done) the literal conversion isn't a problem.

So what i settled on was to use the originally described locations, but add a bit more detail about what else was there.

One note about page numbers. What surprised me about publishing is that you have to submit a cover, page numbers etc 4 or 5 months ahead of manuscript submission! It obviously isn't fully written by that stage so you have to guess at page numbers......

Bronn

Post by Bronn » Wed May 09, 2012 5:26 pm

The addition of new material was one i thought long and hard about. One of the big criticisms i had seem of the Myriador D20 versions was their adding in new stuff. Also, if you havn't read the original books (which many purchasers may not have done) the literal conversion isn't a problem.
That's something I hadn't considered -- how does one match Steve Jackson?

I'll be giving it a shot, regardless. :wink: Additional NPC functionaries could be cool; something in the vein of Naggenteh,Throgg and the guard captain. Off the top of my head I'm considering a minister (not the western religious type, an oriental bureuacrat), the Singer of Songs (madness and despair afflict those who listen) and the Herald of Mampang (the Archmage's 'Mouth of Sauron' -- as twisted and vile a mutant as you could hope to meet). Should be fun!

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Wed May 09, 2012 5:29 pm

Bronn wrote:
That's something I hadn't considered -- how does one match Steve Jackson?

I'll be giving it a shot, regardless. :wink: Additional NPC functionaries could be cool; something in the vein of Naggenteh,Throgg and the guard captain. Off the top of my head I'm considering a minister (not the western religious type, an oriental bureuacrat), the Singer of Songs (madness and despair afflict those who listen) and the Herald of Mampang (the Archmage's 'Mouth of Sauron' -- as twisted and vile a mutant as you could hope to meet). Should be fun!
Let me know when you have done them, and i will post them on the website! I have got some other fan-made stuff i want to format and post as well

Bronn

Post by Bronn » Wed May 09, 2012 5:36 pm

Excellent, I'll write them up over the weekend. :D

Skywalker

Post by Skywalker » Thu May 10, 2012 1:43 am

parkusuk wrote:One note about page numbers. What surprised me about publishing is that you have to submit a cover, page numbers etc 4 or 5 months ahead of manuscript submission! It obviously isn't fully written by that stage so you have to guess at page numbers......
Cheers. It wasn't meant to be a dig :)

I just felt that the another 10-20 pages to broaden out the material would have been a notable improvement to an already excellent book :)