Next on the horizon?

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
SurrenderMonkey

Next on the horizon?

Post by SurrenderMonkey » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:49 pm

Hello fighting fantasists,

This is my first post to the forums. I hate to pose a question that has already been answered elsewhere, but I've done a fair bit of looking around and I can't find anything specific about upcoming releases for the AFF line. I think we were expecting Crown of Kings for a pretty long while before it finally came out, but the only other thing I remember hearing about in particular was a possible OOTP volume 2.

Do we have any idea what's a likely next release? Do you think we are likely to see more adaptations of previously published material (like Crown of Kings) or should we expect some original material? Personally I'm a little torn on what I would prefer. Part of me would really like to see more renderings of the FF classics, but Crown of Kings, as much as I really do like it, makes me realize what kinds of limitations are involved with that kind of thing. One thing I think at the top of my wishlist would be an updated release of "campaign" material from the old AFF supplements like "Allansia."

Of course I will eagerly snatch up whatever materializes. Nothing in the new line has disappointed me so far.

aduial

Post by aduial » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:48 am

One thing I think at the top of my wishlist would be an updated release of "campaign" material from the old AFF supplements like "Allansia."
I must say I agree with that wholeheartedly. Re-release it, though preferably re-worked to remove any obvious logical errors in the plotline (I don't know if there are any) and update it to the new system.

But Crown of Kings is very good - not great, but very good - and if future supplements hold at least that quality, I'll keep paying for them.

I'd also like something like a "players resource" with more wizardly and minor spells, more talents, official rules for more playable races, and maybe other things - this should also include character creation rules (repeated from the main book), perhaps organized a bit more neatly than in the main book.[/quote]

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:02 am

Various ideas have been mooted and mentioned by Graham over the past few months, such as:
  • Out of the Pit 2
    Titan 2
    Re-releasing the remaining AFF material
    A rules companion
I think someone is working on OOTP2 - can't remember who. And Leo Hartas was redrafting his Titan map. Monsters always seem to be popular so I guess OOTP2 would be worthwhile. Personally I am more interested in something that fleshes out parts of the setting a little further. Something like a gazetteer of Allansia or the Old World with lots of adventure hooks, maps & plans. 'Titan 2' seems quite ambitious; what I'm talking about could be more focused.

The old AFF campaign could be developed, but it has a few fairly weak points as it stands so would take some work.

Bysshe

Post by Bysshe » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:32 am

New material might be nice, but personally I'm having more fun filling in the blank spaces in the world myself. Right now I've got my players heading to a heavily reimagined version of Mirewater.

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:43 am

Bysshe wrote:New material might be nice, but personally I'm having more fun filling in the blank spaces in the world myself. Right now I've got my players heading to a heavily reimagined version of Mirewater.
Absolutely it's essential that Titan is the kind of setting you can shape or drop things into without too much constraint from canon or other sources. That's pretty much how it evolved.

Nevertheless, not only do I have much less time to generate such things, I also find my imagination is really helped by having stuff to work from like ideas for plot hooks, locations, significant NPCs. Some of these things are present in the existing Titan book, but a lot of it is background about the cosmology and history of the world.

The best of the three original AFF books was Blacksand, for this reason. Perhaps an expanded version would be a good next release. Alternatively another campaign book, set in Allansia, spanning some major locations and including some general details about each one as well as specific adventure locations. I guess this could be based on the original AFF campaign, which I think went from Chalice to the Forest of Doom, Salamonis, Blacksand and Kaad. But much of the plot was really a bit weak and heavily railroaded so it would need work.

Skywalker

Post by Skywalker » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:53 pm

I believe its:

Hero's Companion - late 2012
Blacksand - early 2013
Out of the Pit 2 - mid 2013

Pożeracz zwłok

Re: Next on the horizon?

Post by Pożeracz zwłok » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:23 pm

What will be further? IMO the highest value have adventures and again adventures. They create image of the world around heroes. New spells and closer descriptions about countries are valuable, too.
Ha! Maybe any short... novel?!
Death to one of dying mercenaries:
"I'm going to cast two 6-sided dice. If the score be higher than 12 you're safe"