Crown of Kings - Appendix I Grumbling

Al Livingstone

Crown of Kings - Appendix I Grumbling

Post by Al Livingstone » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:35 pm

I'm reading through CoK in preparation for running it after the summer. I've come across a problem that could prove annoying and/or problematic in play.

Page 37 of the Crown of Kings mentions that Appendix I is available as a handout for download but I can't see it anywhere. Am I failing to look in the right place or has it not been made available yet?

Page 37 also refers to Runepage C but this designation doesn't appear anywhere else (e.g. in Appendix I). In any case, the version of Appendix I in the Crown of Kings book only shows four Runepages rather than the five required to get the correct answer to the puzzle.

Fortunately the illustration on p37 does contain the relevant information to solve the puzzle, but a handout would be much better than letting them stare at the page for long enough to work it out.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:15 pm

erk! my bad....will fix asap....sorry......

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:50 pm

http://www.arion-games.com/AFF/CrownofKingsAppendix.pdf

Sorry again about that. I have also added ABC&D onto the runepage handout

I will add a link to the wibsite itself tomorrow

Al Livingstone

Post by Al Livingstone » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:41 pm

Thanks for the swift fix.

Adding the A/B/C/D to the Runepages has also made me realise that I was interpreting the instructions on p37 incorrectly. I'd been thinking there should be 5 images in Appendix I (to match the ones in the illustration) whereas the players are actually meant to select one of the four options presented.

If you just heard the sound of a penny dropping and wondered what caused it, it was me.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Re:

Post by Nuvole! » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:28 pm

This link is broken, right now.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

LordArioch
Adventurer

Re: Re:

Post by LordArioch » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:12 am

Nuvole! wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:28 pm
This link is broken, right now.
Yup. I'm having the same problem: it says the file is corrupted and can't be opened.

Baldrick

Re: Crown of Kings - Appendix I Grumbling

Post by Baldrick » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:43 pm

I don't quite understand the question... It certainly would be nice to have a PDF download of Appendix 1, but to be honest it is in both the hard copy and PDF versions of Crown of Kings... If you have a hard copy, just photocopy that page. If you have the PDF version, just print out that page... done!

Secondly, the riddle works fine. Show the players the image of Lortag's desk on page 37 and the Appendix with the missing runepage (cover up the text on page 37 so they do not see that, or just photocopy/print the page and cut the image out). The answer to the riddle is the second runepage down on the appendix page... I'm not sure why it is called Runepage C in the text (the runepages in the appendix aren't identified with a letter or number), but it hardly matters... it's not like the players will ever see the reference to Runepage C on page 37 anyway.

So, problem solved?

By the way, if you find this riddle to be too easy, there is a simple way to spice it up. Instead of showing the players Appendix 1, have them pick up the quill and draw their own rune on the blank page on Lortag's desk. In this case, the correct answer is not only "1 rune", but specifically the arrow-symbol rune, as that is the only rune that shows up on all five pages on Lortag's desk! Maybe give them partial credit (awarding them the line from the Gate spell) if they just guess "1 rune" and give them extra experience points if they guess the correct missing rune. How they draw it is up to them; the weird variations in the individual runes is just a bit of a red herring!
Last edited by Baldrick on Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Baldrick

Re: Crown of Kings - Appendix I Grumbling

Post by Baldrick » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:50 pm

In fact, here is the image of Lortag's desk from page 37, just so it's easier to print out: