Out of the Pit II - Status

bottg
Site Admin

Out of the Pit II - Status

Post by bottg » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:14 pm

Out of the Pit II is being written as i speak, and in fact is progressing nicely.

Further updates to appear here......

sylas

Post by sylas » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:32 pm

a bunch of creatures were missing from Out of the Pit that were in the books featured (up to Temple of Terror i think, and the accompanying FF books). hope these are gonna be included this time round. e.g Howling Spirit, Sand Snapper etc

PaulB

Post by PaulB » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:25 pm

Out of the Pit was a reprint of the original OotP book, so the intent was always to only include the creatures featured. As the original saw publication Sept 1985, the creatures would have come from the books up to around Temple of Terror and Warlock issue #5.

UrielBlue

Post by UrielBlue » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:58 pm

So, and I might be being sacrilegious here, but...
Is the format going to change for OopP2?

What I mean is that the first book's format was super simple, and mostly fluff for the entries (Which is great...too many RPGs skimp on fluff),

However, entries with stats reflecting the more detailed Info that AFF2 gives (Special Skills) would be great.

Instead of

Hill Troll Skill 9 Stamina 16, Large Claws (2) it might read:

HILL TROLL
Skill 9 Stamina 16
Intelligence: Average
Awareness 1 Strength 2 Clubs 1 Hunting 1 Bargain 1
Sneaking -3 Acrobatics -2 Jump -2 Swim -6
Talent: Light Sleeper

2 Claws-Large or Weapon and Bite-Small
Armor: Monster Medium
Inhabiting the lowland areas of both the Old World and Allansia, the loathsome Hill Troll is a smelly and crotchety beast. Less base and aggressive than it's more common kin, Hill trolls can be reasoned with (Indeed, they are rather shrewd bargainers, and perceptive to boot), often hiring themselves out as mercenaries (Though no self-respecting Dwarf would ever hire such a fellow!).

Not subtle, a Hill Troll is less-than-graceful, and they are notoriously bad swimmers (Avoiding boarding ships or boats at all costs: they literally sink like rocks!).
Hill Trolls possess wickedly sharp claws, though their mouths are rather small, and,thus, their bark is far worse than their bite. Still, a penchant for carrying massive clubs and mauls makes them very dangerous foes.

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:30 pm

That's a very nice writeup. If not for all monsters, I think it would be great if that kind of detail could be provided for some of the sentient creatures - the kind that might serve as NPCs.

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:02 pm

Awesome - would it be possible to also include monsters that could have enough stats to include them as player characters, or will that be in the rules companion?

sylas

Post by sylas » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:52 pm

if OOTP 2 does have the inclusion of Special Skills , Weapons etc, i hope the book still features at least 250 monsters rather than a lesser number due to the added content.

greyarea13

Beyond the Pit

Post by greyarea13 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:40 am

Beyond the Pit continues to crawl gradually to completion. I'm aiming for 250 creatures with a stat block similar to the original Out of the Pit, but with added entries for Attacks, Weapon, Armour and Damage Modifier.

I'm not including anything else, because of space, but the monster descriptions should be enough for people to go on, if they want to create their own personalised monsters with skills and talents and so on. It's a fairly subjective process anyway to move down to that level of granular detail, and one of the things I like about FF and AFF(2) is the overall simplicity.

Anyway, some monster write-ups may be cut as they are irrelevant in light of recent work. One such is the Crown of Kings campaign, which adds Steve Jackson-inspired backstory to the curious hairless creature you find in the depths of Mampang, who is armed with a battleaxe but dies from only one blow.

Before reading Graham Bottley's book, I had tagged this creature as a Minion Champion, but this now incorrect. So, in an attempt to free up space and share a new monster, I present to you the:

MINION CHAMPION

SKILL: 6
STAMINA: 2
ATTACKS: 1
WEAPON: Sword or Battleaxe
ARMOUR: Leather Cuirass
DAMAGE MODIFIER: -1 to Damage Roll
HABITAT: Dungeons, Towns, Ruins
NUMBER ENCOUNTERED: 1-2
TYPE: Humanoid
REACTION: Neutral
INTELLIGENCE: Average

Occasionally, some Minions will break their cycle of servitude and, owing to their much stockier and broad-shouldered build, become MINION CHAMPIONS. These creatures will usually be armed with swords or axes, and wear a studded leather cuirass. They will be given some out-of-the-way room or chamber to guard in a much larger dungeon complex, which satisfies their cravings for a small measure of power. Despite their muscular appearance and war-like accoutrements however, Minion Champions are remarkably easy to kill, usually with just one blow, and this is why they are kept out of harm's way in the dungeon's outer reaches. To a lost adventurer that stumbles into their domain however, and who is unfamiliar with their race, the Minion Champion may well seem powerful, bossy and demanding, and best treated with the respect they so desperately desire!

cheers,

Andy

Robb 1
Knight

Re: Out of the Pit II - Status

Post by Robb 1 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:52 pm

Any news on release dates for OOTP 2 ? :lol:

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:31 am

Ehm.... this doesn't want to sound like an harsh comment, but as a constructive one: please take it as an encouragement.

I have to say that Out of the Pit is technically NOT a book related to AFF2, but only to AFF1.
I know that the differentce between AFF1 and AFF2 is not huge, but if we want to say that AFF2 is a (little) forward step from AFF2, we have to say that they are different AND that OOTP (1) is for AFF1. It can be used for AFF2 as well if the Director makes up a few stats/detail for each monster (such as armor and weapon dapage), but as it is, it is a AFF1 accessory (I remember I read somewhere that this was due to an agreement you had with main FF franchise holders, but it's a fact).

Did you think about incorporating OOTP (1) in OOTP (2) and REPLACING this way alltogether OOTP (1) with a full AFF2 accessory?
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:35 pm

Hullalla wrote:Did you think about incorporating OOTP (1) in OOTP (2) and REPLACING this way alltogether OOTP (1) with a full AFF2 accessory?
Maybe you know, but the AFF 2 informations for Ootp 1 are in the main book. Pages 123-128. I've put a post it on page 123!
Tentez votre chance...

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:05 pm

You're right: I overlooked that section :oops:
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:04 pm

To be fair though you are right - ideally there would have been an updated OotP for AFF2, but for the licensing restrictions, which I understand required them to re-release everything without modification. I find that baffling to be honest, and it seems to me Ian & Steve have made it extremely difficult to grow AFF, even by the limited standards of today's rpg market.

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Wed May 29, 2013 5:33 pm

Now that we have Blacksand and Sorcery spell book, this book, Ootp II (or Btp) will be the one that will make us climb on the pants of it's publisher!

Just have an image of my kids climbing on mine and begging me for a cookie :wink:

Keep on good work!
Tentez votre chance...

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Wed May 29, 2013 5:37 pm

I have the almost complete manuscript now, so a few bits to finalise, a final edit etc, and then layout can start. Shouldn't be long!