Blacksand - Status

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
bottg
Site Admin

Re: Blacksand - Status

Post by bottg » Mon May 27, 2013 9:37 pm

Bronn wrote:
parkusuk wrote: Do let me know what you think. I am very happy with it, the proofreaders seemed pleased, but it is the customers who really matter!
It's been my bedtime reading for the last few nights and I love it. A seamless blend of old and new, the biggest and best compliment I can think to give is that it feels like the Blacksand I know and love, expanded and improved to meet the full RPG experience. Very well done indeed. :D
Fantastic! It was a lot of hard work, making sure there were no major changes to canon whilst adding new material that didn't scream out that it was new. The proofreaders did an incredible job as well at short notice, trying to cure my apostrophe blindspot...

Mr Nibbs
Knight

Post by Mr Nibbs » Tue May 28, 2013 12:19 am

Bronn wrote:
Mr Nibbs wrote:I hope you like the new map of Port Blacksand. Meanwhile, here's a sneak preview of version three.
Incredible. Will the finished version be available via Arion?
Watching the render for the first time was fascinating. When I get time I will block in the larger structures and post the update.

It is unlikely that there will be a complete model of Port Blacksand. This 3D model is mainly for reference when drawing cutaways, building plans and street views. Small area maps can be made fairly quickly and viewed from any angle, so I will get started on something fairly soon. Making the .obj files available as downloads is not a problem, as they are intended as a resource for illustrators and authors.

The 3D landscape maps are a different bucket of lobsters entirely and will make your eyes squeak.

Bronn

Post by Bronn » Tue May 28, 2013 6:46 am

Fantastic. I'll keep an eye out for them!

Bronn

Post by Bronn » Tue May 28, 2013 6:52 am

parkusuk wrote:Fantastic! It was a lot of hard work, making sure there were no major changes to canon whilst adding new material that didn't scream out that it was new. The proofreaders did an incredible job as well at short notice, trying to cure my apostrophe blindspot...
They did a great job. Between this and the Heroes Companion the Arion team are on a true creative roll. Well done all. :D

Mr Nibbs
Knight

Post by Mr Nibbs » Tue May 28, 2013 8:21 am

Bronn wrote:Fantastic. I'll keep an eye out for them!
There's a preview on the Blacksand - initial impressions thread.
The global mapping project images are at mrnibbsnewmaps.blogspot.co.uk

Bronn

Post by Bronn » Tue May 28, 2013 1:45 pm

Mr Nibbs wrote:
Bronn wrote:
There's a preview on the Blacksand - initial impressions thread.
The global mapping project images are at mrnibbsnewmaps.blogspot.co.uk
This is the first time I've read your blog -- I had no idea you were Steve Luxton! Jaw dropping stuff, it's great to see you working on Titan again. :D

Mr Nibbs
Knight

Post by Mr Nibbs » Tue May 28, 2013 10:42 pm

Thank you, I am very happy to be back. I was away for so long I almost forgot I was Mr Nibbs. Since then I've worked in civil engineering, town planning and architectural conservation, but these 3D maps are quite a challenge. The drawings will probably start looking more like the maps in Dungeoneer soon.

Bobloblah

Post by Bobloblah » Wed May 29, 2013 9:27 pm

Hopefully not too far off topic, but will the Blacksand map be available via the distribution channel in North America (Canada, specifically)? The books have been (just got the Heroes Companion), but I'm wondering if I should pick up the map direct, possibly along with the main rulebook if the copies in the webstore contain the errata...

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Wed May 29, 2013 9:39 pm

Bobloblah wrote:Hopefully not too far off topic, but will the Blacksand map be available via the distribution channel in North America (Canada, specifically)? The books have been (just got the Heroes Companion), but I'm wondering if I should pick up the map direct, possibly along with the main rulebook if the copies in the webstore contain the errata...
The map should enter normal distribution channels eventually, but i have no idea how long that will be!

The core rulebook i have in stock does contain all of the errata.

Bronn

Post by Bronn » Fri May 31, 2013 8:56 am

Mr Nibbs wrote:Thank you, I am very happy to be back. I was away for so long I almost forgot I was Mr Nibbs. Since then I've worked in civil engineering, town planning and architectural conservation, but these 3D maps are quite a challenge. The drawings will probably start looking more like the maps in Dungeoneer soon.
Excellent; and welcome back!

Bronn

Post by Bronn » Fri May 31, 2013 8:58 am

Just ordered the map after seeing the photos here and on G+. I'm thinking of laminating it for use as a table mat during play. :D

Mr Nibbs
Knight

Post by Mr Nibbs » Fri May 31, 2013 9:54 am

Bronn wrote:Just ordered the map after seeing the photos here and on G+. I'm thinking of laminating it for use as a table mat during play. :D
That's a smart move. If you use a good quality acetate you can make notes on it using water based markers that don't leave a stain when you wipe them off.

Pożeracz zwłok

Post by Pożeracz zwłok » Fri May 31, 2013 7:47 pm

Ave!

I've laminated a map of the deck. There are 1' squares there, good resolution for naval battles :) 1m x 40cm map, figures and markers Lumocolor - it's a key to fine battles. I honestly recommend it. Trained during Savage Worlds' Beasts&Barbarians games.
Death to one of dying mercenaries:
"I'm going to cast two 6-sided dice. If the score be higher than 12 you're safe"

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Fri May 31, 2013 8:16 pm

Sounds like a great idea!
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:28 pm

After a bit of a nightmare when the printers told me they could no longer do the leatherbound books (Aaaargh) i have now found an alternative printers and should have those books in 10 days or so. They will of course also need signing, but i am going to try and run them down to Steve and Ian personally for that to speed things up.

The hardbacks have also been ordered and should be here in just over a week.

Last stages.....