Linking FF gamebooks for campaign play

Morningkiller

Linking FF gamebooks for campaign play

Post by Morningkiller » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:58 pm

I've been working on fleshing out a potential three story arc for an Advanced Fighting Fantasy campaign.

My first plan is -

Caverns of the Snow Witch -> Forest of Doom -> Temple of Terror

In Caverns, the PCs begin as lowly caravan guards and get involved in stopping Sharreela's attempts at world domination. They defeat or thwart her and escape with an Elf from Darkwood and a Dwarf from Stonebridge.

I'll substitute Yaztromo for the wizard they need to seek to rid themselves of Shareela's Death Curse. In Stonebridge they meet the good dwarves, see the Hammer and fight some Hill Trolls, setting up the crisis in Forest of Doom. Once cured they return to Yaztromo and encounter Bigleg throwing them into the frantic search in Forest.

In Forest of Doom, Gillibran's hammer is stolen by an eagle sent by evil dwarves from Mirewater. To link this to Temple of Terror, the King of Mirewater has recently retained the services of a powerful court wizard. This is none other than Malbordus, The Storm Child in disguise. It is on Malbordus' advice that the plot is set in motion. He knows the hammer could destroy the Dragon Artefacts he seeks and wants the weapon out of the picture while he seeks for them.

The heist goes awry but the Hammer falls into Darkwood Forest. The adventurers go in search of it while the elves of Darkside work against them and try not to tip their hand. The actions of the PCs could change a lot here. Perhaps they blow the plot wide open, uncovering mustered elven armies and summoned demons and they force Malbordus' hand. They are the ones bringing the mission to Vatos to Yaztromo and not vice-versa.

The dangerous trip to Vatos and the search for the artefacts leads to the final epic confrontation with Malbordus. If they fail here he summons the dragons to lead his armies of chaos to lay waste to Allansia.

I think this could hang together fairly well. Any thoughts?
Last edited by Morningkiller on Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morningkiller

Post by Morningkiller » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:13 pm

I suppose

Deathtrap Dungeon -> Trial of Champions -> Armies of Death

is already a pretty natural progression. In fact that has a very Conan the Barbarian vibe going on. Flip Deathtrap Dungeon to a team event and you are good to go.

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:17 pm

Here's another idea for a campaign using original FF gamebooks. I suppose it's obvious, but for a gothic horror, possibly in the vein( no pun intended honest,well maybe) of hammer horror how about Vault of the Vampire, Howl of the Werewolf, and Revenge of the Vampire add in a professor creating flesh golems and you have a horror epic in the making. You could also add Beneath Nightmare Castle, and possibly night of the Necromancer for a major horror extravaganza. Though I have these books I've not fully played all of them yet so don't know how well they would fit together.

Morningkiller

Post by Morningkiller » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:45 pm

Robb 1 wrote:Here's another idea for a campaign using original FF gamebooks. I suppose it's obvious, but for a gothic horror, possibly in the vein( no pun intended honest,well maybe) of hammer horror how about Vault of the Vampire, Howl of the Werewolf, and Revenge of the Vampire add in a professor creating flesh golems and you have a horror epic in the making. You could also add Beneath Nightmare Castle, and possibly night of the Necromancer for a major horror extravaganza. Though I have these books I've not fully played all of them yet so don't know how well they would fit together.
That works pretty nicely. The first three are all in the Old World in serious Hammer Horror homage kingdoms. very atmospheric as well.

The other two are in Titan but I think there is a link between Howl of the Werewolf and Night of the Necromancer. Both feature hunters (one of werewolves and the other ghosts) of the Van Richten Family.

Shouldn't be too hard to tie those together.

Brimgeth

Post by Brimgeth » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:28 am

Lets not forget:

Warlock of Firetop Mountain -> Return to Firetop Mountain -> Legend of Zagor

Warlock could be used as the starter adventure. Then perhaps after a few different adventures, trouble stirs in Firetop so it's back they go only now the party are seasoned adventurers. Then when they are now great heroes, they are magically transported to Amarillia to face Zagor one final time.
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:33 am

Brimgeth wrote:Lets not forget:

Warlock of Firetop Mountain -> Return to Firetop Mountain -> Legend of Zagor

Warlock could be used as the starter adventure. Then perhaps after a few different adventures, trouble stirs in Firetop so it's back they go only now the party are seasoned adventurers. Then when they are now great heroes, they are magically transported to Amarillia to face Zagor one final time.
This one would be pretty damn awesome.

One idea I thought of was Spellbreaker > Knights of Doom > Night of the Necromancer.

All the books are written by Jonathan Green. You begin as a general brave hero who vanquishes a demonic beast away in Spellbreaker, then after your success in Ruddlestone you join the Knights Templar of the Demonkeep (also in Ruddlestone) in Knights of Doom, then after your "crusade" you are thwarted and made a ghost on your way home in Night of the Necromancer.

So the general vibe is very "lawful good" in that you have faith, become a knight and vanquish demons a lot. I think it would make for a great campaign of paladin-like characters. :)

Robb 1
Knight

Re: Linking FF gamebooks for campaign play

Post by Robb 1 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:44 am

May be not a story arc but expansion of Freeway Fighter with a few extended Rules for Vehichles could be fun. Thought it might be interesting to use damage for some weaponry from the Blood of The Zombies too. Was thinking I might be able to use the counters and maps from Steve Jackson (USA)'s CarWars with a bit of tweaking Sunday Drivers could be fun.

For an interesting Allansian adventure how about linking Storm breaker, Blood bones, and Demons of the Deep. It may also be possible to link in Isle of the Undead. For a shorter story arc how about Seas of Blood and Demons of the deep You could use the new mass combat rules or old if you don't have the companion but have AFF 1 Allansia might have to rig the PC's being beaten to get them to chase the pirates to Skull island though.

Brimgeth

Post by Brimgeth » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:24 am

I would so like to see Freeway Fighter's world brought up to the the 21st century and redone for AFF. Post-apoc is my second favourite flavour. I'd really like to see the Dark Future boardgame get redesigned too (not like Games Workshop will, however).
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:03 pm

Morningkiller wrote:I've been working on fleshing out a potential three story arc for an Advanced Fighting Fantasy campaign.
My first plan is -
Caverns of the Snow Witch -> Forest of Doom -> Temple of Terror
This story arc is perfect and has been "engineered" by the authors to be connected like this (just read the books backgrounds / endings and it will be obvious). You can make no mistake :wink:
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Pożeracz zwłok

Post by Pożeracz zwłok » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:20 pm

Warlock of Firetop Mountain
How to play this adventure? It's paragraph, section game. Have you any modus of handling with such a books? There are plenty of FF adventures, but all (except The Riddling Reaver) are divided in sections... :cry:
Death to one of dying mercenaries:
"I'm going to cast two 6-sided dice. If the score be higher than 12 you're safe"

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:10 pm

Converting them into an adventure is not too difficult (although it takes some time.... I've been stuck halfway through the Caverns of the Snow Witch for weeks... :oops: ).

Anyway, the Sorcery series is already a converted and officially published adventure (have a look at the webstore section of this site....)
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:50 am

Pożeracz zwłok wrote:
Warlock of Firetop Mountain
How to play this adventure? It's paragraph, section game. Have you any modus of handling with such a books? There are plenty of FF adventures, but all (except The Riddling Reaver) are divided in sections... :cry:
I do own the adventures the were edited 10 years ago by Myriador. It was for D&D 3.0 but it's very manageable in AFF.

The modules:

Warlock at firetop mountain
Cavern of the snow witch
Deathtrap dungeon
Forest of doom
Trial of champions

I think...Maybe you could find them on DriveThru.

Sorcery already made for AFF that's cool!

Recently I used the Forest of doom module to run with the FF gamebook along in hand. It went very well.
Tentez votre chance...

Bronn

Post by Bronn » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:58 am

Myriador also converted three of the Crown of Kings series -- Shamutanti, Khare and Serpents.

Pożeracz zwłok

Post by Pożeracz zwłok » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:17 am

Ave!

Thx for advice, first off I'll find those converted adventures. Then perhaps I''ll try do adjust other scenario with myself (myself or "with myself"? :))
Warlock at firetop mountain
Cavern of the snow witch
Deathtrap dungeon
Forest of doom
Trial of champions
I didn't find them on DriveThru... :cry: I'll try to "translate" sections into standard adventure.
Death to one of dying mercenaries:
"I'm going to cast two 6-sided dice. If the score be higher than 12 you're safe"

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:35 pm

Pożeracz zwłok wrote:I didn't find them on DriveThru
They were there not so long ago because I've made on order recently. But I had to email DriveThru to get the modules because there were some technical difficulties. Maybe you should ask them directly too.
Tentez votre chance...