Another use for Luck

joesmith

Another use for Luck

Post by joesmith » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:42 am

We have used this fairly successfully but only for minor events and against non-named or major NPCs.

If the player fails a skill roll but gets close, they can use their Luck to make up the difference on a 1:1 basis. For example, if you have a Skill 8 and roll 10, you could use 2 Luck points to make that an 8.

Obviously you burn up Luck very quickly if you use this a lot, but it gives an extra helping hand sometimes without having to make a Luck test.

While you might be able to use it for armour and damage rolls, our intent was just for basic skill rolls and against minor NPCs.

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:11 pm

I think this sounds like a good house rule.

It's like the other commonly used rule that LUCK is only depleted on a test for luck if the test succeeds.

sylas

Post by sylas » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:24 pm

i don't recommend it in combats since it would just encourage people to load up on Potions of Fortune/Luck. plus a hero with only 4-5 Luck remaining will almost always use up his luck points in such cases since he's unlikely to pass Luck Tests anyway. once he reaches 0 Luck, drink a potion and he's good to go again. unless, of course, this is your intent.

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:44 pm

I think it's probably not good to have players loading up on potions of Fortune, regardless of the rules used! Certainly it's always the one I choose as a player, in perference to potions of Skill or Stamina.