Shatter Spell?

Chogokin

Shatter Spell?

Post by Chogokin » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:46 am

Hello! I am running through a game of AFF tonight, and we've just encountered a small problem. The pre-generated Wizard character has the 'Shatter' spell listed on his character sheet. However, we cannot find a Shatter spell in the Wizard spell list in the AFF core rules. Does anyone have any information on this spell? Thanks!

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:46 pm

Pffffffffffft. And this is why I never pay attention to pre-made character examples. xD

Well I've found a website that made another version of Advanced Fighting Fantasy, using the original 1st ed books as reference and they talk about the Shatter spell. The Shatter spell allows something to be broken into hundreds of tiny pieces. "The spell can be cast on anything that can break, though the GM would certainly reduce the chance of success drastically if one was to shatter, say, an enormous diamond. "

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:00 pm

The shatter spell was in the first edition of the game, and so was included in the first draft of 2ed. It is a very powerful spell for 2pts, and so got dropped from the lists.

Somehow it persisted on that character sheet... I would be inclined to replace it with Starry Orb, or some other useful spell

Chogokin

Post by Chogokin » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:34 pm

Yes, we were doing some searching as well, and found that other website. We didn't think the wording of that version of the Shatter spell was very clear, so we wound up replacing the spell with a different 2-point spell.

Thanks!

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:24 pm

I had a feeling it wasn't meant to be in 2nd ed as it sounds like a really over-powered spell. Glad you decided to omit it in the end. :)