New AFF game for play by post

Nuvole!
Archmage

New AFF game for play by post

Post by Nuvole! » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:37 am

I wonder if it's Ok to advertise here an AFF game that I literally just launched on RPoL: http://www.rpol.net/display.cgi?gi=4&ti ... 1359329288

This game will fuldamentally follow the Advanced Fighting Fantasy Quickstart rules and the setting will be in the Fighting Fantasy world of Titan, however, I won't necessarily strictly follow the canon and I'll introduce all the variations that I'll think suitable, in order surprise the players that know <i>perfectly </i>the Fighting Fantasy saga. In general, I intend NOT to run published FF adventures or conversions from FF gamebooks, although occasionally I might do it.

The new characters will be young farmers or peasants: perhaps talented, but totally inexperienced of adventuring, so don't expect saving the world every other day: just saving your skin will be no minor success!
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:46 pm

WOW!!!
I've been blown away by the requests to join that covered all the available places after few hours, so I opened up a second game in case somebody else is interested http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=54371
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:39 pm

Hullalla wrote:WOW!!!
I've been blown away by the requests to join that covered all the available places after few hours, so I opened up a second game in case somebody else is interested http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=54371
Excellent news! I will follow with interest...

RossN

Post by RossN » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:51 pm

I don't want to steal Hullalla's thunder but I'm running The Riddling Reaver on the same site using mostly the Quickstart Rules. Link.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:04 pm

...and I'm a very enthusisatic player in that game as well!!!

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:08 pm

These are the simple quickstart rules that I proposed (as you can see, I plundered Slloyd14 ideas...):

General information

This game will fuldamentally follow the Advanced Fighting Fantasy Quickstart rules (available for free here: http://www.arion-games.com/AFF/CB77000.pdf ).
If you don't know Advanced Fighting Fantasy Quickstart Rules, you'll see that it takes less than five minutes to be ready to play!

The setting will be in the Fighting Fantasy world of Titan( http://fightingfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/F ... _Titannica ), however, I won't necessarily strictly follow the canon and I'll introduce all the variations that I'll think suitable, in order surprise the players that know perfectly the Fighting Fantasy saga. In general, I intend NOT to run published FF adventures or conversions from FF gamebooks, although occasionally I might do it.

The new characters will be young farmers or peasants: perhaps talented, but totally inexperienced of adventuring, so don't expect saving the world every other day: just saving your skin will be no minor success!

Requests to join!

Please send me a message with your proposed name, your roleplaying experience, your Fighting Fantasy experience and your character concept (please have a look at the rest of this post before finalizing your character concept).

Please notice that I'll expect at least two posts per week.
Please, if you can't post, contact me in advance for instruction on how to manage your character.
I will accept in this game 3-5 players, and if we'll have more than 5 requests to join, I'll set up a twin game to run in parallel and split the people between them.

Please note that I may allow some "lurker" in this game, in order to help me with their suggestions, as I am very inexperienced of game mastering on line.

Characters generation

Your basic scores are these:

SKILL: 3
STAMINA: 4
LUCK: 7

You can add 6 points to them, divided as you like, just minding that LUCK score can not go over 11.
Please consider that a "typical" normal person (like you) usually has SKILL at around 5-6 and STAMINA approx at 6-8, but if you prefer concentrating all the points only on SKILL or STAMINA, I'll respect your choice.

You have also the MAGIC characteristic, that starts from zero and you will use only if you want to be a wizard or a priest.
Increasing MAGIC by one point will cost you two points, instead of one, like the other scores.
Being able to cast spells is a very costly gift!
Magic users should contact me directly for extra information, such as the single spell that they will know initially - I expect maximum one magic user in a group, as they are quite weak in the beginning.

Background, special skills and talents

You can be either a peasant or a farmer: feel free to choose as you like, however, this choice will reflect on your talents and special skills choice.
Special skills and talents are not very well described in the Quickstart guide, however, they are pretty self-explaining and usually they grant extra bonuses to your basic scores in particular situations. Weapon skills allow you to use that weapon without penalities for not being trained on it and having a weapon skill is highly recommended for all non-magic users.
Each starting character will have two special skills and a talent.

Peasant:
Talents available: Packhorse, Trapmaster, Crack Shot, Light Sleeper
Special skills available: axes, bows, knives, strength, dodge, climb, jump, swim, animal lore, fishing, hunting, religion lore, forest lore, farm lore, pick locks, sneaking

Farmer:
Talents available: Survivor, Armour, Strongarm, Attuned (only for magic users)
Special skills available: axes, bows, knives, pole arms, strength, dodge, ride, animal lore, bargain, evaluate, fishing, healing, farm lore, mapmaking, religion lore, crafting

Please feel free to ask information and clarification about any particular special skill or talent.

I would like to credit Slloyd14, from Arion forums, as I stole most of this homebrew level 0 character generation + skills stuff from him. Thanks, mate!

Starting equipment

You are a peasant or a poor farmer, so you have your (more or less ragged) clothes and shoes, a blanket, a backpack and one weapon, depending on the weapon skill that you have chosen: it can be a hunting knife or bow, an axe for log cutting, a pitchfork, a staff or a scythe.
You also start with two meals in your backpack: some fruit, cheese, salami, dry bread and a full waterskin.
Unless you have the packhorse talent, you will be able to carry up to ten objects, including your armour, weapons and pocket of money (assuming that you will be able to eran some money in future...). However, depending on the size and weight of the objects, there will be some flexibility (or stiffness).

Religion

The people in your country has a polytheistic religion, with an extended pantheon of gods http://fightingfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Celestial_Court and they worship them all, depending on the situation and the problem they are facing but everyone has a "patron" god, that they especially worship.
Feel free to pick one of the "canon" gods, but if you prefer a "homebrew" one, I'm open for discussion.
This aspect will have even more significant implications for priests.

Fighting

Although you should be careful not to pick too many fights, if you want to have a long life, there will be some for sure!
On these occasions, all players involved in the fight will declare thir intentions on each turn and, depending on their preferences, they will roll 2d6 with the Dice Roller or they will leave it to me.
At the end of each combat turn I'll post an update with the results of the actions, before moving to next turn.

Now you can insert all these details, plus your physical description in your Character Description and you're ready to go!

Nuvole!
Archmage

Re: New AFF game for play by post

Post by Nuvole! » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:32 pm

This setting + ruleset seems to attract quite a lot of interest, to the point that I just opened the THIRD game: http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=54485&date=1360180673
It will be difficult for me to open more...