Total votes: 18

torus
Knight

Poll: what is Titan's most iconic creature

Post by torus » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:05 pm

Prompted by recent discussions on the board:

RossN

Post by RossN » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:55 pm

Probably the Bloodbeast - hard to beat that iconic cover!

Honourary Nomination: the Jib-Jib :D

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:41 pm

Probably Gark for me, as the working cover for the AFF core book was for some time a RN coloured version of the Gark from Citadel of Chaos.

Very difficult decision though...Jib-Jib, Rhinoman, etc

RossN

Post by RossN » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:54 pm

Yeah, the Gark is pretty awesome. :)

Another favourite of mine is the Calacorm, which always seems to me very Fighting Fantasy.

sylas

Post by sylas » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:16 am

out of those, it's the Bloodbeast. it's one of my favourite monsters of ANY setting. but surely there must be more iconic creatures than some of those.

what about: Ganjees, Mirror Demon, Jib-Jib, Serpent Queen, Gonchong, Iron-Eater.

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:40 am

For me the most iconic is definitely the Gark (or the Ganjee if it was on the poll). However my favourite is the Changling. I love how it starts off as a baby...
And you also forgot Chestrap Beast and Toad Men.
Last edited by MountainPeak11 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:48 pm

I considered Ganjee, Clawbeast and Calacorm, but thought that there were already enough from the Citadel of Chaos! Also considered Nandi bear, Snatta cat, Minimite,..

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:24 pm

I think that the most "iconic / signature" one is the Rhinoman, as you can't find any other Rhinoman (or similar) in any other setting.

However, the cover image of the Manticore in Sorcery! book is one that you don't forget easily (but the Manticore is a monster from Ancient Greek mythology, so you can't really say it's a FF "signature"...

Last edited by Nuvole! on Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Brimgeth

Post by Brimgeth » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:20 am

I'd go with the Shapechanger from Forest of Doom. Why? Because that was the first Fighting Fantasy book I ever saw, and the cover illustration epitomised the unknown dangers lurking in that forest.
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Nuvole!
Archmage

Re: Poll: what is Titan's most iconic creature

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:14 am

I forgot that another "unique" creature of FF are the Bays, but probably they are not the most memorable one (yes, they are the ones that like playing Bays' ball... not the most amusing joke of the serie... :roll: ).
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Bronn

Post by Bronn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:29 pm

It's weird, even though FF has many memorable and unique features I can't think of a single monster that iconically sums it up. If pressed I'd say Russ Nicholson or John Blanche -- not monsters per se (at least I hope not!) but the one's responsible for how I envision many of Titan's denizens.

Brimgeth

Post by Brimgeth » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:23 am

I voted but I'm going to add the Gongchong - yeesh!
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:42 am

I honestly thought Rhino Man was going to win. But I think a lot of people like Deathtrap Dungeon best, so being on the cover of that probably helps the Bloodbeast.

RossN

Post by RossN » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:08 pm

torus wrote:I honestly thought Rhino Man was going to win. But I think a lot of people like Deathtrap Dungeon best, so being on the cover of that probably helps the Bloodbeast.
Actually it is pretty far down might list of favourites (in fact except for Starship Traveller and maybe Scorpion Swamp it is probably my least favourite of the first ten.) If we were going by favourites I'd have gone for the Gark or Rhino Man, I just thought the Bloodbeast was probably the most iconic looking monster.

Zigg

Post by Zigg » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:48 am

i must vote for a creature i first discovered in a cave in Zanzunu Peaks......the Jib-jib (although the MANTICORE of Shamutanti was the most difficult to defeat (not counting the Sleepless Ram)