Hello! and a step by step Hero creation summary

Brimgeth

Hello! and a step by step Hero creation summary

Post by Brimgeth » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:03 am

Hi all,

First post here so a bit of an introduction. I was pleased to find that Dungeoneer! had undergone a face lift as my books have become much loved. aged and dog eared. I used to play this obsessively during a period of unemployment (in fact my Hero, Fangarius, managed to become a powerful wizard before he died in a climatic battle with one of the Night Demons), finding Dungeoneer!, and Blacksand! in a discount bookshop of all places and having to order Titan and Out of the Pit through the shop (pre world wide web days). It wasn't long before then that I had the elusive Allansia! within my grasp too.

Anyways, reading the new rules I felt that the steps for creating a Hero ,while fluid, felt a little muddled so I wrote up (for my benefit and new players) a two page creation summary. I'll post this summary up as I wrote this out in Word, but if anybody wants the document send me a PM.

Cheers all.
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Brimgeth

Post by Brimgeth » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:21 am

1. Determine the Characteristics
Allocate 8 "building" points between your Initial SKILL, STAMINA, LUCK and MAGIC characteristic scores, adding these points to the base Initial scores below:
SKILL - 4
A maximum of 3 building points can be added to SKILL. 1 point = 1 SKILL point
STAMINA - 8
A maximum of 4 building points can be added to STAMINA. 1 point = 2 STAMINA points
LUCK - 8
A maximum of 3 building points can be added to LUCK. 1 point = 1 LUCK point
MAGIC - 0
A maximum of 7 building points can be added to MAGIC. 1 point = 1 MAGIC point

Magic Points will be calculated separately in step 5.
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Brimgeth

Post by Brimgeth » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:34 am

2. Choose Hero's Race
Decide on your Hero's race according to you Hero's concept. Most Heroes should be of human stock, but Elves and Dwarves are also playable as Heroes. Each race has their own distinctive abilities listed below, which should be recorded on your Hero's record sheet:

Dwarf Heroes
- Gain +2 points to their Initial STAMINA score
- Gain 1 free point to the Underground Lore Special Skill
- Gain 1 free point to the Crafting Special Skill
- Gain the following Languages as Special Skills:
- Dwarfish at 4 points
- Common Speech at 3 points
- Gain the Talent of Dark Seeing as a free Talent

Elf Heroes
- Gain +1 point to their Initial MAGIC score
- Gain 1 free point to the Forest Lore Special Skill
- Gain 1 free point to the Magic - Minor Special Skill
- Gain the following Languages as Special Skills:
- Elfish at 4 points
- Common Speech at 3 points
- Gain the Talent of Dark Seeing as a free Talent

Human Heroes
- Gain +1 point to their Initial LUCK score
- Gain 1 free point to the World Lore Special Skill
- Gain 1 free point to the City Lore Special Skill (this can be substituted for a different Lore such as Forest or Desert for 'rural' Heroes)
- Gain 1 free point to the Religion Lore Special Skill
- Gain 1 free point to any other Special Skill under the Movement or Stealth categories (select from the lists on page 26)
- Gain Common Speech as a Language Special Skill at 4 points

Brimgeth

Post by Brimgeth » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:38 am

3. Choose Special Skills
Choose your Hero's Special Skills from the lists on page 26. Each Hero is allowed to choose the following:
- Three Special Skills at 2 points each
- Six further Special Skills at 1 point each

It is possible to use these points to increase racial Special Skills, and no individual Special Skill can be selected twice.

If the Hero has any Special Skills that allow using magic, go to Step 5 below to calculate Magic Point totals and record spells known.

Brimgeth

Post by Brimgeth » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:40 am

4. Choose Talent
Each Hero is allowed to select one Talent from pages 30 to 33. Dwarf and Elf Heroes gain Dark Seeing as an extra Talent.

Brimgeth

Post by Brimgeth » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:57 am

5. Magic Use
A Hero that has taken any of the Special Skills for using magic (Minor, Priestly, Sorcery, Wizardry) can now calculate how many Magic Points they receive, if applicable, and how many spells or powers they know.
- Heroes with the Minor Magic Special Skill can:
- Gain 2 Magic Points for every 1 point in MAGIC + Special Skill
- Gain 3 minor magic cantrips for every 1 point of the Minor Magic Special Skill (see pages 69 to 71 for a list of cantrips)

- Heroes with the Priestly Special Skill can:
- Choose 1 specific power as defined by the Hero's chosen god and 3 common powers. See chapter 5 for further details.
- Have in their possession a holy symbol dedicated to their god

- Heroes with the Sorcery Special Skill can:
- Begin play knowing all the available Sorcery spells (see pages 81 and 86)

- Heroes with the Wizardry Special Skill can:
- Gain 2 Magic Points for every 1 point in MAGIC + Special Skill
- Select a number of spells that the total spell ranks are equal to double the sum of the MAGIC + Special Skill scores (No spells above rank 4 are allowed to be selected at this stage)
- Have in their possession a spell book containing the spells that they currently know.

Brimgeth

Post by Brimgeth » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:59 am

6. Determine Social Scale
Based on your Hero's concept, determine his or her Social Scale per the chart on page 33. The Social Scale should be within the 0 to 6 scale range.

Brimgeth

Post by Brimgeth » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:04 am

7. Record Starting Equipment
Each Hero receives the following beginning equipment:
- 2d6 Gold Pieces
- One weapon that the Hero has a Special Skill in (if a Hero has no Special Skills for weapons, they start with a club or dagger)
- If the Hero has the Armour Special Skill they are equipped with a leather cuirass
- A backpack
- Flint and tinder
- A lantern and a flask of oil
- Provisions enough for 2 meals
- A choice of one Potion of STAMINA, LUCK or MAGIC (enough for one dosage)
- Any other equipment provided by Talents or Special Skills

At discretion the Hero may purchase additional equipment items with their starting gold pieces by consulting the list of goods on pages 106 to 108, buying from the city cost column.

Brimgeth

Post by Brimgeth » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:06 am

8. Naming your Hero
Give your Hero a suitable sounding name, and if you desire flesh out a few details such as his or her age, where they come from, why they decided to be an adventurer, etc.

End

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:39 am

I guess the reason why some may feel like Character Creation is muddled is because lots of the different aspects can be chosen simultaneously.

When I DM and someone wants to make a new character, I start by asking them the basic question 'what type of character do you want to be?'. Then once they've come up with something, like a Dwarven fighter or a human thief then I start taking them through their different stats (even SKILL, STAMINA and LUCK since you'd probably want your character to have more STAMINA if they're going to be hacking people to bits a lot, and then there's the whole MAGIC thing with wizards and sorcerers etc.). I also ask them about magic and then put all those stats together as well.

Then I sort out starting equipment and social scale and ask people to make up character background. It'd be interesting though to see how other DMs go about doing this. :)

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:18 pm

Hi Brimgeth,

here http://arion-games.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=476 you can find the proposal that I recently made at a play by post game.
However, it is not exactly for "heroes", but more for farmers and peasants that want to start (from zero) a life as adventurers and are not born heroes.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Brimgeth

Post by Brimgeth » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:06 am

That's one of the reasons I like AFF; as well as being easy to play, character creation is a fairly open format and you don't have to be wedged into any preconcieved character class.

rob-jr

Re: Hello! and a step by step Hero creation summary

Post by rob-jr » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:47 pm

Thanks Brimgeth!

This really helps my players in hero creation! :)

Nuvole!
Archmage

Re:

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:54 pm

Brimgeth wrote:That's one of the reasons I like AFF; as well as being easy to play, character creation is a fairly open format and you don't have to be wedged into any preconcieved character class.
It's also more realistic...
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Bronn

Re: Hello! and a step by step Hero creation summary

Post by Bronn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:31 pm

Thanks, Brimgeth. I copypasted your summary into Word and will hand distribute to players next time I run.