HEROES COMPANION BOOKS

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Re: HEROES COMPANION BOOKS

Post by MountainPeak11 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:34 pm

parkusuk wrote:Just to let you know that all of the books went in the post today, by the fastest possible service. I was not popular in the post office, but hopefully you will all be very happy in a few days time!!!
But I didn't give you my address... o.O And how do we give money to you?

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:38 pm

I still have some, and i am going to the post office tomorrow!

the easiest way is through the webstore here:

http://www.arion-games.com/store.html

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:08 am

DONE! Thanks again!!! :D

Brimgeth

Post by Brimgeth » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:09 am

Thanks! Now waiting with baited breath...
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:42 pm

Got it!!! :D
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Brimgeth

Post by Brimgeth » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:09 am

Hullalla wrote:Got it!!! :D
Must be local :D
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:11 pm

Brimgeth wrote:
Must be local :D
Not so local, but definitely closer than you!!! :mrgreen:
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:47 pm

Also got it on the 15th! Thanks very much! :D

Brimgeth

Post by Brimgeth » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:26 am

Well don't keep us in suspense; tell us what's in it!

Machpants

Post by Machpants » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:15 am

Got mine here in NZ, along with the Maelstrom Fantasy Toolkit (how do I get the PDF for that?)

What has it got, well:
6 new magical styles
rules for hirelings
organisations, holding and dominions
mass battle rules
wilderness adventures
random wilderness map generator

but that is just the blurb, now I have to find the time to sit down and read!

Brimgeth

Post by Brimgeth » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:07 am

Machpants wrote:Got mine here in NZ, along with the Maelstrom Fantasy Toolkit (how do I get the PDF for that?)

What has it got, well:
6 new magical styles
rules for hirelings
organisations, holding and dominions
mass battle rules
wilderness adventures
random wilderness map generator

but that is just the blurb, now I have to find the time to sit down and read!
Damn Australia Post still making me wait (grumble, grizzle, whinge)

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:53 pm

It must be a machination, for sure... :lol:

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:02 pm

So, for those who have their Heroes Companion, what are your thoughts so far? Will the new material be useful?

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:23 am

parkusuk wrote:So, for those who have their Heroes Companion, what are your thoughts so far? Will the new material be useful?
I'm most interested in the new types of magic, and I'm planning to use some chaotic magic for my final boss of my campaign. However the other stuff to do with mass battles is currently not very useful to me, and I'm personally a bit disappointed that you didn't put in any new Special Skills or Talents that were more practical outside of mass battles (apart from the magic obviously), and tbh I'm not that interested in the whole buying a house or owning a tavern. However that's just me. I know lots of people like it and I like doing it at the end of RPG-style video games because it feels like I've conquered the universe, but unless someone specifically asks about it I don't bother with it.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:47 pm

Personally, I can see some kind of "Rules Cyclopaedia" sindrom creeping up: you have quite a lot of bits and pieces in various books, with some inconsistency between them (for example in "Out of the Pit you don't have clarified what amount of damage every monster deals, because at the time each of them delt default 2 damages...) and "soon" we'll have Titan II and Out of the Pit II, and... my prophecy is that by that time you will be thinking about a single BIG book incorporating all the AFF bundle (excluding adventure modules, of course) in ONE place.

If you want to have a look at heroes companion book by itself, it is helpful, helps a lot moving the game from a "one module" game to "long campaign" game, where the characters grow and build up their dominins, manage armies, etc. but it is a relatively short one and a small step forward, but not a revolutionary leap forward (probably this franchise doesn't actually need to leap anywhere else...).

If I could give a suggestion, once pieced together properly the game, the rules (including optional rules), the creatures, the world setting (all things that may eventually end up in the single big book I mentioned...), I'd concentrate on putting together a GREAT bouquet of adventure modules (such as the Crown of Kings, for example, but some adventure not directly a conversion from previous game books may help...).
For a game that wants to stay simple and linear rule-wise as this, the game breaker would be great adventure modules or, maybe, great settings / gazzetteers, but we have a well estabilished Titan already...