HEROES COMPANION BOOKS

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
bottg
Site Admin

Re: HEROES COMPANION BOOKS

Post by bottg » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:54 pm

The "New-information-specific" talents and special skills were a fairly conscious decision as i wanted to avoid the issue so hated of D&D3E etc where each new book had the "Kewl Powerz" that every player wanted!
They are fairly easy to add into your own campaign anyway if there is a gap, but equally, not including mass battle special skills in the book with mass battles also didn't seem right.

And as for the rules cyclopedia analogy....pretty much. We wern't allowed to change anything in the original OotP, but the new BtP should have full armour and weapon details.

And in some ways the multiple expansion model is both easier to produce and also somewhat kinder on the wallet.

If you don't want to use AFF for wilderness adventures, organisations or mass battles, the HC is of less use. No city adventures? Don't need to buy Blacksand etc.

There are however plans to put out both the original campaign, and a biggish book of brand new adventures, loosely linked....maybe even via Yaztromo?

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:57 pm

Hi

I'm new on the forum! I've just received my Heroes Companion here in Canada and read through it!

For my part, I'm very glad with the book. It was worth the wait and I consider it a very nice addition to the game. I'll surely use many of it in my campaign at some points.

Nice work

François
Tentez votre chance...

Brimgeth

Post by Brimgeth » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:08 am

Still waiting for mine. Damn Australia Post employing snails as posties (grumble) :x
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

skathros

Post by skathros » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:53 pm

François, who did you order from? You said your from canada and the sig in your post is in french, so i'm assuming you are from Quebec like me.

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:28 am

skathros wrote:François, who did you order from? You said your from canada and the sig in your post is in french, so i'm assuming you are from Quebec like me.
Je t'ai envoyé un message en privé! A+

François
Tentez votre chance...

UrielBlue

Post by UrielBlue » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:53 am

Any news on when the book will be available here in the US through a distributor to my local store?
I've got 4-6 interested friends, and buying them all via post in, frankly, just too expensive.

I'd love to get to help AFF grow here in San Francisco.

Uriel

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:08 pm

Received my copy today very happy with my purchase 1slight typo pg57 wilderness map creation bottom paragraph left side has been cut off by the illustration but nothing major only skimmed through it so far but looks fab. Big thank you for reserving me a copy Graham you're a star :D

Can't wait for Blacksand & OOTP 2 it's going to be a good year :wink:

skathros

Post by skathros » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:17 pm

Robb 1 wrote:Can't wait for Blacksand & OOTP 2 it's going to be a good year :wink:
Are they ready yet? Are they ready yet? Are they ready yet?

Please take my money!

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:46 pm

skathros wrote:
Robb 1 wrote:Can't wait for Blacksand & OOTP 2 it's going to be a good year :wink:
Are they ready yet? Are they ready yet? Are they ready yet?

Please take my money!
Same please. :)

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:51 pm

Layout is starting tomorrow, and it should be off to the printers next monday. The paperbacks and hardbacks should only take a few days, but the leatherbound ones might take slightly longer. The maps go off tto the printer at the same time.

As soon as they arrive i have to arrange for them to be signed by Steve & Ian and then they will be posted out. So not long now, but it will probably seem like forever!

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:07 pm

parkusuk wrote:Layout is starting tomorrow, and it should be off to the printers next monday. The paperbacks and hardbacks should only take a few days, but the leatherbound ones might take slightly longer. The maps go off tto the printer at the same time.

As soon as they arrive I have to arrange for them to be signed by Steve & Ian and then they will be posted out. So not long now, but it will probably seem like forever!
Did you just say HARDBACKS?! :O
(Also is there any possibility of you releasing hardbacks of the core rulebook, and if people like me who bought it literally when it had just come out want one with all the errata updated, would we have to pay extra?)

SurrenderMonkey

Post by SurrenderMonkey » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:52 am

MountainPeak11 wrote:(Also is there any possibility of you releasing hardbacks of the core rulebook, and if people like me who bought it literally when it had just come out want one with all the errata updated, would we have to pay extra?)
Yes, please! I would buy a hardback copy of the core rulebook in a heartbeat.

skathros

Post by skathros » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:13 pm

SurrenderMonkey wrote:
MountainPeak11 wrote:(Also is there any possibility of you releasing hardbacks of the core rulebook, and if people like me who bought it literally when it had just come out want one with all the errata updated, would we have to pay extra?)
Yes, please! I would buy a hardback copy of the core rulebook in a heartbeat.
Waitaminute! Are you guys suggesting a core rule book + errata + HARDBACK??? I'm sooooo down with that!

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:40 pm

I have been considering various ideas. One would be a hardcover rules book including errata. Another option would be to do the above but include a translation of the brand new campaign in the french version.

Another option would be a big core hardback with AFF core, Titan and OotP.

I personally love hardbacks but C7 were not keen when we first released as it is a much bigger investment for an unknown line. I will look into some prices as i would probably have to get them done as smaller print runs.

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:02 pm

parkusuk wrote:I have been considering various ideas. One would be a hardcover rules book including errata. Another option would be to do the above but include a translation of the brand new campaign in the french version.

Another option would be a big core hardback with AFF core, Titan and OotP.

I personally love hardbacks but C7 were not keen when we first released as it is a much bigger investment for an unknown line. I will look into some prices as i would probably have to get them done as smaller print runs.
If you did a big core hardback with full-colour print, I would love you forever. And seriously, my core rulebook is looking pretty damn tatty right now.