Ambidextrous Talent fighting - details?

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Ambidextrous Talent fighting - details?

Post by MountainPeak11 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:25 pm

There aren't really any details for fighting with both hands if a player chooses Ambidextrous for their talent (apart from the fact that they can obviously use two weapons...). We found that if you just roll once for attack strength and then 2d6 for damage then it's overpowered.

So we adapted a rule where if you do use two weapons with Ambidextrous, you roll twice for attack strength, then if you win there is a -2 modifier to your damage roll. Because even if you're ambidextrous and can use the weapons equally well, you can still miss with either one, and because you're handling two weapons at once you can't concentrate all your strength on one weapon. I can't remember if it says this or not in the handbook (I *think* it does...), but one should also restrict the Ambidextrous talent to wielding weapons of the size of a short sword or smaller.

Brimgeth

Re: Ambidextrous Talent fighting - details?

Post by Brimgeth » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:05 pm

MountainPeak11 wrote: one should also restrict the Ambidextrous talent to wielding weapons of the size of a short sword or smaller.
But then how would I play a dual scimitar wielding dark elf ranger? :wink:

I kinda like this, and it has historical merit. A secondary weapon was used mainly for deflection, or when opponents had "locked swords"and were standing close which is where the smaller weapon was being used for a quick stab or cut.

What about just rolling for one Attack Strength, adding a +2 bonus for the secondary weapon, and on a successful hit adding a +1 bonus to the damage of the main weapon to simulate the second weapon getting a cut in?
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:22 am

Brimgeth wrote:
MountainPeak11 wrote: one should also restrict the Ambidextrous talent to wielding weapons of the size of a short sword or smaller.
But then how would I play a dual scimitar wielding dark elf ranger? :wink:

I kinda like this, and it has historical merit. A secondary weapon was used mainly for deflection, or when opponents had "locked swords"and were standing close which is where the smaller weapon was being used for a quick stab or cut.

What about just rolling for one Attack Strength, adding a +2 bonus for the secondary weapon, and on a successful hit adding a +1 bonus to the damage of the main weapon to simulate the second weapon getting a cut in?
Oh well a dual scimitar for instance would be different, and I'd be more inclined to use your +2 bonus for the secondary blade. For two individual weapons though I don't think this works as well since a successful hit with a weapon in your right hand doesn't necessarily mean you also got a successful hit with your left hand.

Brimgeth

Post by Brimgeth » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:56 am

Good point. The more I think about it, I'd be inclined to just use a +2 bonus to Attack Strength then.
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."