Yaztromo

Brimgeth

Yaztromo

Post by Brimgeth » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:59 am

How many books did Yaztromo appear in? I remember him in Forest of Doom and in Temple of Terror, but did he turn up in any others?
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

torus
Knight

Re: Yaztromo

Post by torus » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:53 pm

He has a major role in the novels.

Brimgeth

Post by Brimgeth » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:51 pm

I had the thought of tracking down all the game books with Yaztromo appearing, then try to convert and combine them as a campaign. The PCs would act as agents for him in return for Yaztromo's patronage (pay a retainer or tutor a magic using PC in new spells, that sort of thing).
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:08 pm

WOW! That's a great idea!
Please keep us updated on your project!
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:24 pm

Brimgeth wrote:How many books did Yaztromo appear in? I remember him in Forest of Doom and in Temple of Terror, but did he turn up in any others?
He plays a greater part in Crypt of the Sorcerer where he gets tied to a pentegram an also in Return to Firetop Mountain. He also gives a message via dream in Phantoms of Fear and he is the person in Legend of Zagor who sends the daggers and talismans to Amiralla and also briefs you via crystal ball.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Brimgeth

Post by Brimgeth » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:16 am

Could be part of an even bigger campaign then; if Yaztromo was the wizard who assisted the hero in Legend of Zagor, maybe it can be worked that Yaztromo is the person who sends the adventurers to Firetop Mountain to begin with.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:37 pm

I agree and think that every campaign in Allansia should pass at some point through Yaztromo...
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:46 am

I guess he could be considered the Gandalf of Titan. However I do like the idea that there are other wizards elsewhere in Allansia and beyond who may also be good or neutral. Don't forget Nicodemus to start with!

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:38 pm

I agree withTorus nickodemus plays a major part in City of Thieves and also the original Dugeoneer adventures (stats in the new Blacksand book maybe?) where he guides/advises the PCs also he is one of a trinity of good wizards along with yaztromo and the masked wizard or was it wizard of mask magic? Whos name escapes me at the moment (must check my copy of Titan, but don't have it to hand at the moment) who were trained by the same Archmage. :P

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:40 am

Pen Ty Kora. With Nicodemus and Yaztromo they were the Star Pupils of the Grand Wizard of Yore 8)

Brimgeth

Post by Brimgeth » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:14 am

Yaztromo definitely seems to have more of a hand in trying to overcome the forces of evil in Allansia than the other two. I get the feeling that the other two would prefer to be left alone and only get involved in the"face of truly world threatening evil with capital E.

I haven't read it in a while, but pretty sure Titan lists the reasons why the other wizards "retired".

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:57 pm

I agree that Yaztromo is more "active", in the sense that he meddles more frequently in mundane things and is more likely to hire (and help) adventurers for quests.
Pen Ty Kora is a bit retreated from the world because of his illness and because he's devoted on healing, with not a lot of side-taking.
Nicodemus, on his side, is more retreated than the previous as he's very concentrated on his researches and doesn't "like" being disturbed. He actually turn me into a frog more than once, when I went to ask him for help and direction... :roll:

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:18 pm

I suppose Nicodemus's brush with the death spell would be a good reason to influence the actions of pc Hero's on more covert level plus I suppose That living in a classy place like Port Blacksand and keeping a subtle eye on its less salubrious denizens is pretty much a full time job even for a powerful wizard. Remembering the old adage " keep your friends close but keep your enemies closer" I would suspect that Nicodemus and Yaztromo are in regular contact with each other and know who the current rising stars of the adventuring world are on Allansia. Just a thought :wink:

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:58 am

There is also Tantalon (now deceased) of Gallantaria, and the mage order of wizards in Khul. Lots of the gamebooks had encounters with good or neutral magic users, albeit none on the level of Yaztromo. Remember the wizard under the sea in Demons of the Deep?

Kheldar

Post by Kheldar » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:22 am

torus wrote:He has a major role in the novels.
There are novels?