AFF on YouTube

User avatar
d6&d6
Adventurer
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:19 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: AFF on YouTube

Postby d6&d6 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:43 pm

Pożeracz zwłok wrote:Ave!

For Seth's sake! Quite emotionall review! And again I've caught it all.

Best question for me: "You don't have to bother with Target Numbers" :D It's real traouble to do it stat (out of hand?).


Thanks for the comment! For your question, I don't have problems with game systems that has target numbers but in AFF, it just goes a little faster without tem ;)
Tentez votre chance...
User avatar
Pożeracz zwłok
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 7:53 am
Location: Boleslawiec/Poland
Contact:

Re: AFF on YouTube

Postby Pożeracz zwłok » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:53 pm

Yes, a bit :) These days TNs are widespread, just about any system has it. Cortex, D&D, d6 system and many others. Only Savage Worlds and BRP (and its children) are without them. What can we do? Adapt or reject :)
I haven't got any incredible problems with TNs, for I usually use standard TN, sometimes modified a little. Simplification however is easier and gives higher comfort whilst playing.
Death to one of dying mercenaries:
"I'm going to cast two 6-sided dice. If the score be higher than 12 you're safe"
MountainPeak11
Adventurer
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:13 pm
Location: Royal Lendle

Re: AFF on YouTube

Postby MountainPeak11 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:54 am

d6&d6 wrote:
Pożeracz zwłok wrote:Ave!

For Seth's sake! Quite emotionall review! And again I've caught it all.

Best question for me: "You don't have to bother with Target Numbers" :D It's real traouble to do it stat (out of hand?).


Thanks for the comment! For your question, I don't have problems with game systems that has target numbers but in AFF, it just goes a little faster without tem ;)


Oh I actually think it does go faster with target numbers. My players always get confused about whether to roll under or roll higher, and if you ask out of the blue for them to roll something, if you reveal that it's an opposed SKILL check they're going to know there's going to be something there.
spaceLem
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 9:50 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: AFF on YouTube

Postby spaceLem » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:55 pm

MountainPeak11 wrote:Oh I actually think it does go faster with target numbers. My players always get confused about whether to roll under or roll higher, and if you ask out of the blue for them to roll something, if you reveal that it's an opposed SKILL check they're going to know there's going to be something there.


For the most part, I prefer default AFF (without TN -- although that's slightly inaccurate to say that, as roll under has an implicit TN, so it's probably best to say I prefer roll under), and I have no problem switching back and forth. However, if I were running a game and some players had difficulties, I'd probably default to roll under and ask them to declare how much they passed by (Margin of Success (or "MoS")), although I'd be open to roll over + TN if necessary (although that really feels odd to me).

I know some people on other forums see to have a pathological hatred of roll under systems, demanding roll over even when it makes things far more complicated (e.g. d% roll over 100+difficulty, and report MoS? ugh), however I've just finished a two year campaign where the dice mechanic was d20 roll under skill and report MoS, and no one had a problem with it at all. I think if you say "I beat my score by 3", or "I missed by 7" it becomes quite intuitive.
I love tea!
User avatar
d6&d6
Adventurer
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:19 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: AFF on YouTube

Postby d6&d6 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:21 pm

spaceLem wrote:
MountainPeak11 wrote:Oh I actually think it does go faster with target numbers. My players always get confused about whether to roll under or roll higher, and if you ask out of the blue for them to roll something, if you reveal that it's an opposed SKILL check they're going to know there's going to be something there.


For the most part, I prefer default AFF (without TN -- although that's slightly inaccurate to say that, as roll under has an implicit TN, so it's probably best to say I prefer roll under), and I have no problem switching back and forth. However, if I were running a game and some players had difficulties, I'd probably default to roll under and ask them to declare how much they passed by (Margin of Success (or "MoS")), although I'd be open to roll over + TN if necessary (although that really feels odd to me).

I know some people on other forums see to have a pathological hatred of roll under systems, demanding roll over even when it makes things far more complicated (e.g. d% roll over 100+difficulty, and report MoS? ugh), however I've just finished a two year campaign where the dice mechanic was d20 roll under skill and report MoS, and no one had a problem with it at all. I think if you say "I beat my score by 3", or "I missed by 7" it becomes quite intuitive.


There's a lot of options that works with AFF... isn't it amazing :D and the good thing here is that they all work well. The choice here is based on how we are comfortable with a system and how our players are. My players are sometimes confused with roll higher... roll lower... I admit it. But for them, AFF was quite new some sessions ago but as we are playing, they're more and more used to it! For my part, removing target numbers, on the long run, will make the game a little more fast but that's my feeling. And it's a change since I've been playing most of my rpg life with TN.
Tentez votre chance...
User avatar
d6&d6
Adventurer
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:19 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: AFF on YouTube

Postby d6&d6 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:26 pm

Pożeracz zwłok wrote:Yes, a bit :) These days TNs are widespread, just about any system has it. Cortex, D&D, d6 system and many others. Only Savage Worlds and BRP (and its children) are without them. What can we do? Adapt or reject :)
I haven't got any incredible problems with TNs, for I usually use standard TN, sometimes modified a little. Simplification however is easier and gives higher comfort whilst playing.


I'm a big fan of every games you mention here. Even D&D d20 with TN is in my list! It depends on the game you want at your table to make that kind of choice! AFF is magic because you can do it both way and it will still be AFF! The more I think of it, the more I think that this game rocks 8)
Tentez votre chance...
User avatar
Pożeracz zwłok
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 7:53 am
Location: Boleslawiec/Poland
Contact:

Re: AFF on YouTube

Postby Pożeracz zwłok » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:49 pm

D&D d20 with TN is in my list!

Settings are good, but I don't like gargantuan increasing in HP. Engine is unbalanced and so indigestible. Certainly for me :) I wait for DND NEXT - there'll be better, I think.
AFF is slow in character advancement - I like this style.
Death to one of dying mercenaries:
"I'm going to cast two 6-sided dice. If the score be higher than 12 you're safe"
User avatar
d6&d6
Adventurer
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:19 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: AFF on YouTube

Postby d6&d6 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Some other one who bought it!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeBVHyh4C6A
Tentez votre chance...
MountainPeak11
Adventurer
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:13 pm
Location: Royal Lendle

Re: AFF on YouTube

Postby MountainPeak11 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:49 pm

Check out my AFF2e homebrew adventure broadcast on roll20! I'll also be uploading a first-impressions video of the Heroes' Companion very soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG6Nab5bTTE
Nuvole!
Hero
Posts: 809
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:06 pm

Re: AFF on YouTube

Postby Nuvole! » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:01 pm

Are you going to make your adventure modules available for everybody?
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
MountainPeak11
Adventurer
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:13 pm
Location: Royal Lendle

Re: AFF on YouTube

Postby MountainPeak11 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:30 pm

Hullalla wrote:Are you going to make your adventure modules available for everybody?


I might, considering I've half-written the one for Escape From Hammerfall. I'm not able to do it actively at the moment however because my final university deadline is coming up. Afterwards, though, I'm free as a bird. :)
MountainPeak11
Adventurer
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:13 pm
Location: Royal Lendle

Re: AFF on YouTube

Postby MountainPeak11 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:44 pm

Here's my take on Blacksand after it arrived in the post. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9M6gNQul3Q
Mr Nibbs
Knight
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: AFF on YouTube

Postby Mr Nibbs » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:01 pm

MountainPeak11 wrote:Here's my take on Blacksand after it arrived in the post. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9M6gNQul3Q


Thanks for the review :D There are sketches for Lord Azzur's Palace elsewhere on this forum.

Meanwhile, the globe of Titan is getting a paint job...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLCw7EQ5b7c
User avatar
d6&d6
Adventurer
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:19 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: AFF on YouTube

Postby d6&d6 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:40 am

Two more! Recaps of a google hangout game that takes place in Blacksand! Warning, almost 50 minutes total. Take your time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B0wq8aV0dg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz7kEkHmFlg
Tentez votre chance...
User avatar
d6&d6
Adventurer
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:19 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: AFF on YouTube

Postby d6&d6 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:25 pm

Recap of AFF on Google Hangout part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D4slX4wYfE
Tentez votre chance...

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest