AFF for other Settings

Hastati

Re: AFF for other Settings

Post by Hastati » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:02 pm

I'm in the process of doing up a conversion for the old FGU game Bushido. I think AFF will work quite well for that.
It takes a real man to stay a boy forever.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:35 pm

WOW!!! Please post it here...
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:41 pm

There was a great adventure in White Dwarf called kwaidan which was for the bushido RPG I played it ina group I was with at the time. I seem to remember it was a very atmospheric Ghost story with several spirits both malevolent and benign they would easily convert to AFF some I think appeared in Sword of The samurai FF book 20 as FF monsters hopefully they may reappear in OOTP2 :) There are possibly a lot of old White Dwarf scenarios that could be converted there was even an FF Scenario which I think was called Beyond the Shadow of a Dream.

Hastati

Post by Hastati » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:58 am

Hullalla wrote:WOW!!! Please post it here...
When it is done I will be happy to share it. A word of warning though, I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel with it, it is mainly just reskinning the existing weapons/armour table with the appropriate Japanese terms (and some people may howl that a Katana is just a standard AFF2 "sword"). I will play around with with skills a little and "Luck" may become "Honour" for certain characters.

The main work is creating the bestiary to really capture the flavour of Japanese mythology (where some creatures are simply trying to annoy you as opposed to kill you outright).

The attraction of AFF2 is its simplicity and I want to fundamentally retain that. Frankly, if I wanted a detailed samurai game I would just stick with playing Bushido. :D
It takes a real man to stay a boy forever.

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:38 pm

Hastati wrote: When it is done I will be happy to share it. A word of warning though, I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel with it, it is mainly just reskinning the existing weapons/armour table with the appropriate Japanese terms (and some people may howl that a Katana is just a standard AFF2 "sword"). I will play around with with skills a little and "Luck" may become "Honour" for certain characters.

The main work is creating the bestiary to really capture the flavour of Japanese mythology (where some creatures are simply trying to annoy you as opposed to kill you outright). :D
That actually sounds pretty good - particularly the bestiary. I'm not normally a fan of Oriental settings but that some interesting monster ideas would be great. Of course Titan already has some of the most annoying creatures ever: the Minimites!

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:44 pm

The AD&D 2nd ed has a complete monster manual of oriental creatures as dose D&D 3.5 which could be converted to AFF2 might be worth having a look at them White Dwarf also created a ninja character class they could be used :)

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:21 pm

I'm currently trying my hand at running a tailor made and simplified version of AFF2e for a classic Sherlock Holmes story.
I'm very curious to see how it will go...

EDIT It was a good experience: the light ruleset (that I made even lighter) gave the rightful center stage to the plot and the investigation, without bogging us down.
Last edited by Nuvole! on Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:56 pm

I forgot to mention this viewtopic.php?f=13&t=634 adaptation of Slaves of the Abyss to Blackmoor setting.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:48 pm

Recently I used AFF2e for a Calidar setting (see http://www.strangerskies.com/ ), that is a rule-less setting, and I enjoyed it!

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:03 am

Hastati wrote:
Hullalla wrote:WOW!!! Please post it here...
When it is done I will be happy to share it. A word of warning though, I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel with it, it is mainly just reskinning the existing weapons/armour table with the appropriate Japanese terms (and some people may howl that a Katana is just a standard AFF2 "sword"). I will play around with with skills a little and "Luck" may become "Honour" for certain characters.

The main work is creating the bestiary to really capture the flavour of Japanese mythology (where some creatures are simply trying to annoy you as opposed to kill you outright).

The attraction of AFF2 is its simplicity and I want to fundamentally retain that. Frankly, if I wanted a detailed samurai game I would just stick with playing Bushido. :D
Any news about this conversion?

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:07 am

Here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=837 is an example of using AFF2 (with massive house rules) in a completely different setting.
According ot betatesters, it worked very well.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:37 am

I found this Pelinore netbook in my wanderings on the web https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8l15n ... sp=sharing, on this website http://kellri.blogspot.co.nz/. It's complete enough to be a standalone setting for AFF, but also I thought it had a similar enough flavour to be located within Titan. The detailed areas of the City League and County of Cerwyn would be easy enough to find a spot for while the wider map setting those in The Domains might be a little more challenging. The usual suspects here know Titan better than me but I'm thinking it probably fits the Old World best.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:58 am

Sounds like a lovely idea!
I don't know the world of Pelinore, but I found a place where it is widely discussed: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewforum.php?f=71
I'll have a look at this.
WRT a good place for this on Titan, if the three continents are not enough, we still have the forgotten one still available to play... ;)

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:42 pm

@SkinnyOrc
I had a quick skim through Pelinore, and after all I'd consider setting it on Allansia, assuming Salamonis = City League and then moving forward from there...

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:35 am

Hullalla wrote:I found a place where it is widely discussed
Thanks, I hadn't found this!

The City League would do a decent enough job as Salamonis, but I'm holding out for an official book on it (hint, hint Graham ;) ).