Simple proposal for managing weapon and armor rolls

Nuvole!
Hero

Simple proposal for managing weapon and armor rolls

Post by Nuvole! » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:25 pm

AFF2 added the "complication" of having to roll extra dices for weapon and armor rolls (depending if you hit ot miss...).

After a bit of practice I realized that it is more straightforward to roll two different coloured dice (red and green, for example?) in battle and then, for example, the red dice will count also for damage roll when you hit and the green one will count also for armor roll when you lose. This way I reduced the sheer number of dice rolled.

What do you think?
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

d6&d6
Adventurer

Re: Simple proposal for managing weapon and armor rolls

Post by d6&d6 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:17 pm

One problem I see is if you roll double 6. The damage will always be 6x2... ouch!
Tentez votre chance...

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:19 pm

What we always do is roll 3 diec, 2 white and one red (or whatever colours). The odd one is the armour/damage dice. Against multiple opponents you may have to make extra armour rolls, but the three dice methods works very well for most combats.

joesmith

Post by joesmith » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:24 pm

The problem you have here is that if you use the same dice for attacking and also for damage/armour rolls, then against tougher opponents you will always cause greater damage.

For example, against tougher monsters you'll need to roll higher to hit them meaning that you have to roll high numbers. Which means that if you hit them, you'll already have that high number for damage.

An extreme example. If your enemy is Skill 12 and you have Skill 6, you have have to roll at least 9 on the die to hit them. Lets say that the enemy rolled 2 for an Attack Strength 14 but you hit because you have rolled 9. Your die results will have to be either 4 & 5, or 6 & 3. So you cannot inflict minimum damage at all and in fact you ignore half the weapon table.

Yet when you're attacking smaller, weaker creatures you could have the whole range of numbers to play with.

So, while we have thought about this for other games, we came to the conclusion that it doesn't work.
For AFF2, we use the same method as parkusuk, roll 3 die with the third die being the Action dice. It's the only way to get a random and fair result.

Nuvole!
Hero

Post by Nuvole! » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:25 pm

Hmmm... I guess the same can be said about your armor rolls: if you have lost a turn, chances are that you scored low, so your armor roll will be probably on the low end as well... :roll:
I can see your point.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.