D&D levels into AFF xp

d6&d6
Adventurer

D&D levels into AFF xp

Post by d6&d6 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:55 pm

Hi

Since i'd like to run the whole Myridor FF modules and some D&D classics into my AFF campaign, I've been wondering how to turn D&D levels of play into AFF xp rating.

My first guess was to divide D&D 3e xp by 10. So an adventure set for à 4th level party would need AFF heroes to have 600 xp, 5th level into 1000 xp...

Or maybe multiply levels by 100?

But I'm not sure yet. Did someone ran a D&D module with AFF? How balanced it was?

François
Tentez votre chance...

Brimgeth

Re: D&D levels into AFF xp

Post by Brimgeth » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:14 am

Why not just strip the D&D mechanics and stats out,replace with the equivalent FF content and award experience per the core rulebook?
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:57 pm

You're right, I could do that. But in the Crown of Kings campaign, "it is suggested that heroes have 100-200 xp under their belt". I can fudge things, and that's the charm of AFF but I'd like to have something to compare just to make sure that my heroes survive the first few rooms of "Temple of elemental evil" !

You know how it is, there's a love affair between my players and their characters so I just want to make their honeymoon a little bit longer (but not too much!) :lol:

François

By the way, have you received your HC?
Tentez votre chance...

Brimgeth

Post by Brimgeth » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:10 am

Me? Not yet. I expect it will be here sometime this week coming.
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:36 am

I've checked the Sorcery Shamutanti Hills d20 version from Myriador and it's for a 3rd level party. If the Myriador is near from the original gamebook as the Socery campaign from Arion, I may losely guess that 300xp is like 3rd level in D&D...

So I'll try the 100xp = 1 level in D&D modules played in AFF and will share to you how it worked.

Thanks for the inputs!
Tentez votre chance...

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:31 am

I suppose the only importance I can think of is that you only get certain abilities when you reach a certain level (which doesn't happen in AFF), or that you're about to start an adventure and it says it's suitable for "four 6-8 level players". Because this doesn't really happen yet I don't see why we need to use levels. I prefer the idea of slowly growing and improving your abilities, and obviously if you've got a lot of EXP/more abilities it'll show you're more experienced than someone just starting off.

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:37 pm

MountainPeak11 wrote:I suppose the only importance I can think of is that you only get certain abilities when you reach a certain level (which doesn't happen in AFF), or that you're about to start an adventure and it says it's suitable for "four 6-8 level players". Because this doesn't really happen yet I don't see why we need to use levels. I prefer the idea of slowly growing and improving your abilities, and obviously if you've got a lot of EXP/more abilities it'll show you're more experienced than someone just starting off.
I do agree with that. My players have characters that has gone through that path. As for D&D modules I'd like to do into AFF, well I'll do them a "3rd level party" one before a "9th level one". Just to make the challenge right for my players, I'll try to have that rough 1level = 100xp just to make sure they have gained some abilities to go through challenges suggested in D&D; because transfering between game systems only mean suggestions. I don't really wan't to use "levels" in AFF but if I start a D&D module, I'll look a the character sheets and say "Ok you have, well, gained about 500xp...ok we'll try that 4th level module".

I know the result won't be that perfect but I have faith that it will fudge well because AFF is so versatile in comparison with D&D.

Another subject for you mountainpeak11, just want to say that my name in youtube is jdrd30 for your information.

Thanks a lot
Tentez votre chance...

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:58 pm

I do think it would be very useful to have some idea about conversion from D&D because so much adventure material is available for D&D and its retroclones. Obviously it can't be totally automatic, but having a rule of thumb to get started would be great. I had a go at something in this thread viewtopic.php?f=13&t=333 but I think my approach was too specific, probably not going to work. Maybe 100 XP per level would work as a starting point.

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:34 pm

The AFF handbook is very general about handing out EXP, such as every adventure = 50 and a campaign is something like 200 right? I've made a rather detailed list of my own about how to hand out EXP which is working well so far. However I haven't got far enough in my campaign to assign "level boundaries" as it were, such as 100 EXP = Level 2, 200 EXP = Level 3 etc.

I can send you my copy of my EXP table if you like, or I can let you know once PCs have received EXP a few times to see where it goes.

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:23 pm

MountainPeak11 wrote:I can send you my copy of my EXP table if you like, or I can let you know once PCs have received EXP a few times to see where it goes.
As a matter of facts, I'm quite confused on how much xp should be given. 50 per adventure seems allright but right now, I'm running an improvised adventure and I don't know when it will end!

Yeah, I'd like to see your xp table or anything else that you're comfortable with just to have a comparison point!

Thanks
Tentez votre chance...

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:20 pm

d6&d6 wrote:So I'll try the 100xp = 1 level in D&D modules played in AFF and will share to you how it worked.
I'm not sure this can work at every level, as in D&D the experience required is always higher and higher while you level upper and upper.
Maybe it can be OK for the first 3 or 4 levels.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:33 pm

Ok cool, well here it is then.

http://www.4shared.com/office/h9Y1YcY5/ ... e_pdf.html

It works on various deeds and actions, so the reason why I haven't been using levels so far is because if you have more EXP then automatically you've done more things both beneficial to you and others, so will have more reputation amongst fellow PCs. I'm a big believer of getting players to think outside the box and I enjoy it when I've made a "main mission path" but they still want to do other things as well, ie sidequests, getting to know NPCs/areas and so on and this system encourages this a lot.

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:34 pm

Hullalla wrote:
d6&d6 wrote:So I'll try the 100xp = 1 level in D&D modules played in AFF and will share to you how it worked.
I'm not sure this can work at every level, as in D&D the experience required is always higher and higher while you level upper and upper.
Maybe it can be OK for the first 3 or 4 levels.
Indeed, and this in my opinion is what it should be for AFF, should we devise a levelling system for it.

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:50 am

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Just to reassure you, I don't want levels in AFF. I dont use levels in AFF! I do play as a freeform GM, in AFF and in most of the games I've played for the last 2 and a half decades.

The "Level" thing is just for me a tool, a beacon that tells me when to use D&D stuff at the right moment for my player's characters. You know what? I'm a lazy GM :wink: so if I can run Temple of elemental evil without changing every scenes, just by picking up the Ootp corresponding monsters with the confidence that the challenge will be just right or just deadly when it matters, that'll make my smooth ride!

For the pdf! Nice list you have. Is it possible to send it in another platform? I can send you my mail in a private message! If not, that's ok, I'll handle it :wink:

François
Tentez votre chance...

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:03 am

Yeah by all means send me your email address and then I'll send it as a word document.