Dodge in the defensive combat option

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
d6&d6
Adventurer

Dodge in the defensive combat option

Post by d6&d6 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:55 am

Hi

I'm thinking about using dodge in the defensive combat option and I'd like to know what you think about it.

Dodge may be used instead of "weapon" special skill to add to the defensive combat option. So Landon the hero has 8 Skill, 2 sword skill, 3 dodge. Since his dodge is better than his sword, he'll use it when he'll choose the defensive option.

Using his defensive option with his sword, he'll have 12 + roll (8 skill + 2 sword + 2 defensive)
Using his defensive option with his dodge, he'll have 13 + roll (8 skill + 3 dodge + 2 defensive)

Some players like to have fast "dodgy" characters and that may encourage them to get there. It's not clear for me if it was meant to be used like that originally but in the dodge special skill text (p. 27), it talks about getting harder to hit with that skill with no further informations.

Thanks for the inputs

François
Tentez votre chance...

Brimgeth

Re: Dodge in the defensive combat option

Post by Brimgeth » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:26 am

That's pretty much how I'd interpret it. Even if the rules don't strictly say so, if a player wants do an action that sounds pretty feasible according to the Special Skill, I'd let them.
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:04 am

Shouldn't be a problem. If you have the Swashbuckling Talent, you can use it all the time, even when attacking, and you can also use it to avoid a runaway cart, rolling boulder etc, but this seems a good idea.

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:06 am

Thanks for your inputs. After some time to think about it, I'll use it as I presented it to you but my players won't need the swashbuckler talent to use it for defense. What's the difference between a surprise boulder coming from the sky or an axe swinged at you?

Swashbuckler will be for the armor replacement as this great talent is described in the book.
Tentez votre chance...

Pożeracz zwłok

Post by Pożeracz zwłok » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:04 pm

Ave!
won't need the swashbuckler talent to use it for defense
Why? It's pretty good defense option - first off you can walk without armour, loosely like a bird (important during climbing, jumping etc.).
What's the difference between a surprise boulder coming from the sky or an axe swinged at you?
I think most important to this relation is pace. Swinging blade is much faster than rolling rock. Blade is much closer, by your side, next to you, and in the case of stone you've got a bit of time for reaction and honest calculation where to loop ;)
Death to one of dying mercenaries:
"I'm going to cast two 6-sided dice. If the score be higher than 12 you're safe"

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:55 am

I don't have the references in front of me but I read in the french version of AFF (Défis fantastiques) that dodge was used exactly as I suggest it. If I find the same reference in the AFF core book, I'll post it here.
Tentez votre chance...

Pożeracz zwłok

Post by Pożeracz zwłok » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:58 am

In the first posting you wrote down a good resolution. Dodge instead of sword in the case of defensive option. In many systems there are three defensive manouevres: shield, parry with weapon and evade. Choosing between options isn't wrong and should be available. Author speaks from time to time about "adjusting" rules to the the own way of playing.
Death to one of dying mercenaries:
"I'm going to cast two 6-sided dice. If the score be higher than 12 you're safe"