Encouraging players into Titan

d6&d6
Adventurer

Encouraging players into Titan

Post by d6&d6 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:31 am

As a gamemaster, one of the big challenge I've faced in many rpg's is to have players know about the settings they'll play in. For me it's important just to have the right feel from them. Often, players rush into a game without knowing some basics about it's universe.

In order to do that, I suggest the players to watch films or read books that are set into the campaign world. For example, if we play Star Wars, they must see a least one of the movie. If we play Elric, at least one of the novel of the saga should be read. If we play DC super heroes, just try to read a Superman comic or two.

For AFF, Titan, it's an evidence. They should read some of the original gamebooks. In order to encourage that, I "pay" them to do it. I give them xp's for that. Here's how it's fitted in the continuing campaign :

- When they read, I ask them to write down the paragraphs they did. Also, they may note some special objects they've found in the book. Significant NPC's they've met in the book should be noted too. By doing that, I can see if they cheated.
- If they fail in the book, I give them some xp's (10 to 40) and justify it by saying that what happened in the book was heard in a tavern somewhere.
- If they get through the book without cheating, I give them 50xp and they can have one of the objects found in the book that can still be usable after it. To justify this one, I say that the character was in that quest and they did it. They also have friends met in the book as contacts and they may have enemies. That book can't be succeeded again by another player to get xp's but everyone is free to read it for his own fun!
- If I intend to play an adventure into AFF, the players just won't have special objects in the book because finally they weren't there but they'll have a lot of hints... heard in a tavern.

By doing this, my players are more interested into the setting and they can get "between games" fix in a very pleasant way. For now at my table, it's a success.

I'm happy to share it with you

Thanks

François
Last edited by d6&d6 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tentez votre chance...

RossN

Re: Encouraging players into Titan

Post by RossN » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:26 pm

That sounds like a very cool idea. What gamebooks have you used out of interest?

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:00 pm

Great idea. If you don't know already I got into the original gamebooks long before AFF (I never read Dungeoneer etc.) so I already had a firm grasp of the world of Titan before diving in. I think that's what's made me such a confident DM with AFF. :)

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:01 pm

RossN wrote:That sounds like a very cool idea. What gamebooks have you used out of interest?
Any FF in Titan and Sorcery. I have the french versions of them but since I've started, one of my players have read "Cavern of the snow witch" (La sorcière des neiges) and have not got through it. I have the intention to play the Myriador version eventually.

The other player have a character inspired by the sorcery campaign and has got through the three first books (La colline maléfique, La cité des pièges, Les sept serpents) before a fail. I also want to do that campaign.

Both gave me detailed reports of the reads. I was impressed and that's when I feel supported as a GM.

These books are their choice. I have many of them and they can pick it if they want. I stop giving xp for a book if a player has completed it. Before that, everyone can give a try and have a reward for the effort.

François
Last edited by d6&d6 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tentez votre chance...

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:48 pm

MountainPeak11 wrote:Great idea. If you don't know already I got into the original gamebooks long before AFF (I never read Dungeoneer etc.) so I already had a firm grasp of the world of Titan before diving in. I think that's what's made me such a confident DM with AFF. :)
My first love in gaming was these books. My first read was "City of thieves" (La cité de vouleurs) and I've never been able getting through it (Azzur always kill me...). I was introduced in rpg's, especially AD&D, through an event surrounding gamebooks at my local library. I got away a little from gamebooks after this "stunning" discovery.

But now for me, getting back into this world with AFF (the circle is complete) is a return to my first love and this xp giveaway technique is a way to share my love with the players. Like you mentionned for yourself, I'm also quite confident with how I run it because of that previous experience!
Tentez votre chance...

Nuvole!
Hero

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:06 pm

I can see that our experiences are surprisingly similar (including the title of the first gamebook!)... :wink:
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:54 am

I like the idea of encouraging new players to read/play one of the books together the feel of Titan & AFF. Back in the distant past my introduction was the original Warlock of Firetop Mountian ( I still have it unwritten in except for Ian Livingstones autograph which I got last year when he visited Sheffield). At the time when Titan only existed in the one Legendary Tome, me and mt friends made our own dungeons up. I think my first one was called Labyrinth of the Gold Dragon now lost to the anals of time. I seem to remember it was massive and with very little coherency but it went ok. Far too many Dragons if I remember correctly.

With the release if the original FF introductory Rpg I then created the village of Landamen ant something called the quest for Karadeth who was a Barbarian hero who was a complete rip off of the character in the movie The Beast master and was a complete campaign I still have it stashed away ( I later rejigged it or at least the first part.I still have this too and set it near Silverton all my group had played at least one of the books. I think there were only 5 FF books at the time and one of those was Starship Traveler(possibly my least favourite book of the series. I also ran them through the original wishing well quite different to the version in the AFF core rules, Shaggards hive was also played and one adventure that was in the warlock magazine involving a stone circle and a were bear with chronic indigestion. I think it may be time for Landamen to tak on its third incarnation

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:37 am

Not much to add, but to say this is a great idea. I remember the original aff campaign allowed for some heroes to have been through the city of thieves but this is even better.

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:06 am

torus wrote:Not much to add, but to say this is a great idea.
Thanks, fells great to read. One of the reason I chose AFF to play was in fact to include this opportunity for the players. With this, they can pick some hints of Titan and sometimes, they can proudly say that they were there to make it!
Tentez votre chance...

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:48 pm

The original AFF also allowed for characters who had completed Midnight Rogue ( Blacksand) & Return to Firetop Mountain ( Allansia) to become pcs in the AFF linked adventures. But I agree that giving new players a choice of which Titan based book they play to get the feel of the AFF world is a fantastic idea. It lets them choose which archetype of Character they wish to develop whether it be the stealthy Thief, the noble knights templar, the all round adventurer or the deft mage :mrgreen: and give them the feeling that they are an integral part of one of the best RPG worlds in existence and will join the ranks of the great Hero's of tht world :D

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:21 am

Robb 1 wrote: and give them the feeling that they are an integral part of one of the best RPG worlds in existence and will join the ranks of the great Hero's of tht world :D
That could be the idea. In most rpg settings, heroes are npc's already there ; in Star Wars, LOTR, Marvel, name it! But here, the canon of Titan, are books where the reader is the big hero of this universe. Taking it into the rpg makes it more real! The nameless hero of the book has a chance to be in fact the named hero of the campaign!

Hero A (his player failed "Island of the Lizard King") : I heard about a Lizard King far away...
Hero B (his player succeeded the same book) : Of course you did! I've killed him myself!
Tentez votre chance...

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:54 am

Just to add more local flavor to this gamebook technique into rpg, I use this list found on the FF official site :

http://www.fightingfantasy.com/index.ph ... 6&Itemid=9

Actually, I try to convince players to read books from their continents of origin. To encourage that, I say that I give xp to their own continent books and if they want to read books from other continents, I hold the earned xp from these until they've read all the books from their own continent. This may seems a lot, especially if you're from Allansia but it tends to keep the local flavor alive into the characters. If they travel to another continent, chances are they'll be just a little bit more surprised by the difference in the cultures.

Seems more to me that Khul is a very exotic place...
Tentez votre chance...