Some Questions

Kheldar

Some Questions

Post by Kheldar » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:03 pm

Can I ask why the original owners (or whoever it is) are not allowing you to release the books through pdf?

Also, how can we tell if the books we order online, are the new updated ones?

I love to tinker, and I also like players to have lots of choice over their characters. With this in mind, I've split SKILL up into four narrower skills: Power, Grace, Social and Mind. Obviously I will have to tweak the numbers during character creation (I don't have any books at the moment), but other than specializing more, what knock on effects might splitting SKILL up, have upon the rules?

What can be done, to make combat that little bit more lethal. I'm toying with making attacks deliver more damage, but I'm not sure how to go about this. My reason for doing this, is that I want players to know that combat, any combat, can be deadly, and is not to be taken lightly. I want them to have a sweaty palms time every time they choose to fight

Thanks all

bottg
Site Admin

Re: Some Questions

Post by bottg » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:55 pm

The pdf question is also a bit of a mystery to me and may be due to the fact that Steve and Ian have worked for some years in the computer game industry where there has been a problem with piracy and strong counter measures against it. I do push the issue where i dare (!) and with any luck i will be able to at some point.

The new updated ones should be heading out to suppliers at the moment, but as there were only a few typos, we havn't put "revised edition" on the cover etc. I will be getting some more in any day now, and all of mine are updated ones, as will those obtained through C7 directly.

As for splitting up SKILL, this is a fairly common tweak. One big effect is that the Heroes become less competent overall. As it stands, a Hero will be better than a common man at most things as he has a couple of points more in SKILL. If you split it up, you have to really still keep 7 as the maximum otherwise you get the "can kill a dragon" effect early on. But that means the others will be lower and Heroes will struggle to be good all round.

The rules will still work, and you will need to assign special skills.

As far as making combat more deadly, i would go with the double 6 as critical. Rather than just doubling damage, you could create a critical table that could include instant death if required (much like the magical Oops table does). You could keep instant death as a rare event (double 6 on combat roll and then double 6 on crit roll) of make it more common than that to suit your game.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:56 pm

As an additional to the pdf question. Feel free to ask Steve or Ian directly if you ever see them at a convention!

Kheldar

Post by Kheldar » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:01 am

Thanks for the replies and for sorting out my re-authorization

Much appreciated

And thanks for the great advice too, it's all taken on board.

If I order from the webstore within the next 48 hours, will I definitely have the updated/revised (for want of a better term) books?

Thanks

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:59 am

Kheldar wrote:My reason for doing this, is that I want players to know that combat, any combat, can be deadly, and is not to be taken lightly. I want them to have a sweaty palms time every time they choose to fight
Actually from my experience with the game, combats are already lethal. Maybe they lose only about 2 stamina per hit but if the opponent is just a little better than the hero, stamina goes down rapidly. As a GM, I think twice before sending multiple opponents against the characters...
Tentez votre chance...

Kheldar

Post by Kheldar » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:45 am

d6&d6 wrote:
Kheldar wrote:My reason for doing this, is that I want players to know that combat, any combat, can be deadly, and is not to be taken lightly. I want them to have a sweaty palms time every time they choose to fight
Actually from my experience with the game, combats are already lethal. Maybe they lose only about 2 stamina per hit but if the opponent is just a little better than the hero, stamina goes down rapidly. As a GM, I think twice before sending multiple opponents against the characters...
Ok, I might just try the combat rules as they are, at least for a while

Thanks

Kheldar

Post by Kheldar » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:49 am

In a review, one reviewer stated

"In general, the skill resolution is roll 2D6 and score equal to or lower than your SKILL level + Special Skill score. That works. There is an experience system that may allow Special Skill levels to be increased, so this might become an issue later on in the game as the scores get higher and the rolls much more easy for the player to succeed at.

Is this true, if so, is there a workaround?

There's a similar problem with Barbarians of Lemuria (2d6 mechanic), and the obvious tweak would be to have all skill rolls operate on a 2d10 dice mechanic.

How might using a 2d10 mechanic work out?

EDIT: Also, how does AFF manage deity/cleric type magic?

Kheldar

Post by Kheldar » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:05 pm

parkusuk wrote: The new updated ones should be heading out to suppliers at the moment, but as there were only a few typos, we havn't put "revised edition" on the cover etc. I will be getting some more in any day now, and all of mine are updated ones, as will those obtained through C7 directly.
Sorry, I'm unsure, are you saying if I order now from the Arion website, or C7, I'll receive the latest editions of all the books?

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:08 pm

Kheldar wrote:
parkusuk wrote: The new updated ones should be heading out to suppliers at the moment, but as there were only a few typos, we havn't put "revised edition" on the cover etc. I will be getting some more in any day now, and all of mine are updated ones, as will those obtained through C7 directly.
Sorry, I'm unsure, are you saying if I order now from the Arion website, or C7, I'll receive the latest editions of all the books?
Thats it. I have to speak to C7 tomorrow morning, but my own restock should come in this week and they are all the latest versions. It might take till later this week to actually post them out, but they are all the latest version.

Kheldar

Post by Kheldar » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:35 pm

parkusuk wrote:
Kheldar wrote:
Thats it. I have to speak to C7 tomorrow morning, but my own restock should come in this week and they are all the latest versions. It might take till later this week to actually post them out, but they are all the latest version.
Great news

Thank you

Is there any way of knowing for sure they are the reprints? Sorry for being a pain and being so picky, but I've not got that much cash right now, and I'm looking to buy at least the core rule book, out of the pit, and Titan. I'm also considering the Crown of Kings - but as I said, only if they are all updated with all the errata/typos etc

Thanks

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:17 pm

The print proof pdf's that i got back from the printers were the updated versions, and in fact they should be the only files that specific printers has been sent. The ones i should be sent from C7 should be from that printer as C7 were out of stock, but i would check them beforehand anyway.

Kheldar

Post by Kheldar » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:53 pm

parkusuk wrote:The print proof pdf's that i got back from the printers were the updated versions, and in fact they should be the only files that specific printers has been sent. The ones i should be sent from C7 should be from that printer as C7 were out of stock, but i would check them beforehand anyway.
Ok thanks

Kheldar

Post by Kheldar » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:51 pm

What are some of the things that differentiate one character from another, what makes each one unique?

Roleplaying, obviously
Race
SKILL ratings along with Stamina, Luck and Magic
Special Skills
Talents
Social Class

That about it?

Also, what type of Talents can a character expect to have, and what exactly is Social Class?

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:52 pm

Kheldar wrote:In a review, one reviewer stated

"In general, the skill resolution is roll 2D6 and score equal to or lower than your SKILL level + Special Skill score. That works. There is an experience system that may allow Special Skill levels to be increased, so this might become an issue later on in the game as the scores get higher and the rolls much more easy for the player to succeed at.

Is this true, if so, is there a workaround?

There's a similar problem with Barbarians of Lemuria (2d6 mechanic), and the obvious tweak would be to have all skill rolls operate on a 2d10 dice mechanic.

How might using a 2d10 mechanic work out?

EDIT: Also, how does AFF manage deity/cleric type magic?
The better the heroes, the greater the challenges. Even with high scores, heroes can be challenged with against the odds difficulties by reducing their skill if they do something near impossible.

For the priest deity thing, it's one of the thing I like very much of AFF. :idea: It's clear :idea: . You have a deity, some powers they grant you and hints on how you should play your priest in order to have access to these privileges. Priests don't have access to much powers but what they have is efficient and in tune with the deities they serve.
Tentez votre chance...

Kheldar

Post by Kheldar » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:59 pm

Thanks for that

Special Skills, they can be increased to a maximum of +4?