AFF1e ruleset question

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
Nuvole!
Archmage

AFF1e ruleset question

Post by Nuvole! » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:15 pm

I recently came across this book by Steve Jackson http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fighting-Fantas ... ng+fantasy

and I feel confused.

I thought that the main / first book of AFF1e was "the Dungeoneer"... what is this book? is it part of AFF1e?
More confusion comes from the fact that the title is "Fighting Fantasy: the introductory role playing game" and NOT "Advanced Fighting Fantasy etc."

Can anybody help clarifying?
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

bottg
Site Admin

Re: AFF1e ruleset question

Post by bottg » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:49 pm

This book was the first attempt at an RPG based on the gamebooks. About 99% of it was actually 2 adventures; "The wishing well" and "Shagradds hives of peril". There was no magic system, advancement rules, special skills, pricelists etc.

That book sold very well, so they did "The riddling reaver" which added in a basic spellcasting system, variable weapon damage and a couple of other bits. That also sold well.

So they then did the full blown RPG starting with Dungeoneer.....

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:40 pm

I see... I missed all that stuff at the time... and until few weeks ago! :roll:

BTW I'm REALLY enjoying the Riddling Reaver (run by RossN as play by post...)
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:34 pm

We all know the Wishing Well, but how is "Shagradds hives of peril" ?

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:00 am

Hullalla wrote:We all know the Wishing Well, but how is "Shagradds hives of peril" ?
I remember it being not bad as dungeon bashes go. By the way the Wishing Well dungeon in that book was different from the one in the AFF rules. Same map but different contents. Not sure why Graham changed it but he had his reasons I suppose!

I also ran the Riddling Reaver back when it first came out. Don't think I would want to do it again but I suppose it's fun enough. Bit railroady and linear for my liking.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:22 pm

I'm currently running through the Riddling Reaver (as a player) right now and I'm enjoying it greatly!
(I also have the book, but I'll open it after we complete the adventure, IF we can complete the adventure...)

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:40 pm

torus wrote:
Hullalla wrote:how is "Shagradds hives of peril" ?
I remember it being not bad as dungeon bashes go.
Is it worth getting the book only for that?

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:44 pm

Shaggards hive of peril has some quite novel rooms good for any dungeon bash, and won't need much effort to convert to AFF2. From what I can remember a bit more variety of treasure would need to be added to suit an AFF adventure but there's a huge variety of monsters to pit your adventurers against plus a meeting with a group of dwarves familiar to any one who has played the AFF2 version of the Wishing well.

All in all the book is a nice but not necessary addition to your FF/ AFF collection if you're a completist collector especially if you have the Riddling Reaver too and can be picked up for a couple of pounds on amazon or eBay it's also interesting to see how much the game has developed from its origins :D

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:31 pm

Eventually I got it!
The two dungeon crawls proposed can be good start up / learning curve adventures, with some Director's manipulation...

skathros

Post by skathros » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:40 pm

Hullalla wrote:Image
This and RR were my first exposure to Roleplaying FF-style! Regardless of the missing rules (even when combining both FF:tIRPG and tRR) it is, along with B/X D&D, my all time favourite ruleset! I would kill to have new copies of both.