heritage adventures

Nuvole!
Hero

heritage adventures

Postby Nuvole! » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:17 pm

I just finished going through Fighting Fantasy the introductory role play game, Dungeoneer, Blacksand! and Allansia in a single fly.
The most relevant content of the books (nowadays) are the adventures (the rest of the contents are very relevant under historic point of view, but this is another story).
They are of uneven quality, but there is something in them that is worth bringing forward (especially the mini-campaign that starts with the tower of the sorcerer, then the revenge of the sorcerer (both in the Dungeoneer) and finally Darkness over Kaad (Allansia) as they are all linked up (but the other adventures can be saved too, at least part of them).
Some bits of the adventures definitely need some wrinkles ironed out, some other aspects need to be updated according to AFF2e rules (for example priests don't have magic books, etc.), but I'd definitely wouldn't let them go forgotten as they are part of the heritage of this game (and the artwork is worth saving as well, as it is integral part of the special "flavour" of this game.
It would be great, in my opinion, to pull them together in a dedicate publication.
However, everything needs a bit of refreshing and critical review.

My humble opinion.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Nuvole!
Hero

Re: heritage adventures

Postby Nuvole! » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:58 am

I´d like to bring this up now, as looks like Arion Games is getting more and more active, recently... ;)
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Ruffnut
Hero

Postby Ruffnut » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:43 am

Cannot help I have none of the old books.
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.
Lorian
Knight

Postby Lorian » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:13 am

Ruffnut wrote:Cannot help I have none of the old books.

Same
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:52 am

Nuvole! wrote:It would be great, in my opinion, to pull them together in a dedicate publication.
Yep agree. In fact from the bits I've read I'd be keener to see the adventures from the three AFF1 books reworked into a campaign and republished than The Riddling Reaver (although something interesting could be done there too). It shouldn't be too hard to fit A Shadow Over Blacksand in somewhere, maybe after A Darkness Over Kaad.
dcpchamber

Postby dcpchamber » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:46 pm

Are there any plans of anyone making this happen? I agree that it would be a really nice campaign to have, and maybe if the author include some kind of new or updated info accompanying the book it would be a great addition to the series (if I remember correctly, the Riddling Reaver revival will/would have some kind of a gazetteer also?).

I would happily fund this work.
Nuvole!
Hero

Postby Nuvole! » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:20 pm

I think that a straight reprint won't do much good: there are quite a few wrinkles to iron out and things to set right, as today they wouldn't work very well, both for the original AFF1 adventure cycle and for The Riddling Reaver.
I just don't know if/how Graham can manage rights and licenses in this case... happy it's his job! :lol:
Slloyd14
Site Admin

Postby Slloyd14 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:45 pm

There is a version of the Well in the original rulebook. It would be good to do Shagrad's Hives of Peril and the AFF1 adventures. I gave the original 6 adventurers from Dungeoneer AFF2 stats and also Sargon. I would work on the others too.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=626&p=3785&hilit=sargon#p3785

It would be great to see the AFF1 adventures. I just looked on Amazon:

Dungeoneer! was written by Ian and Steve.

Blacksand! was written by Marc Gascoigne, Pete Tamlyn, Steve and Ian.

Allansia! was written by Steve and Ian and edited by Marc Gascoigne.

Now if only we could talk to them, maybe at a big event where everyone will be getting together in the near future...
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:00 am

Slloyd14 wrote:There is a version of the Well in the original rulebook. It would be good to do Shagrad's Hives of Peril and the AFF1 adventures.
Yep I'd like to see something done with The Well and Shagrad's Hives of Peril from FF The Introductory Roleplaying Game too. But I'd keep those separate from the AFF1 adventures, they're very different in style (not that you suggested combining them). For anyone who hasn't read FFTIRG, don't judge anything by the version of The Well in the AFF2 rulebook, the only thing in common is the map.

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”