High quality/low quality weapons and armour

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
Slloyd14
Site Admin

High quality/low quality weapons and armour

Post by Slloyd14 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:25 pm

I was thinking of non magical items to reward players and one way would be to create a high quality weapon that has a different damage table than normal weapons of its kind. For example, a normal sword does 2 damage on the roll of a 1, 3 damage on the roll of a 2-5, 4 damage on the roll of a 6 and 5 damage on the roll of a 7+. however, a better quality sword could do 3 damage on the roll of a 1.

This would make a weapon more personalised and also give a more powerful weapon without having to hand over an enchanted weapon that adds 1 to all damage rolls.

On the same side, low quality weapons or weapons made from worse materials could have worse damage rolls. For example, a bronze sword could deal 2 damage on the roll of a 1-3, 3 damage on the roll of a 4-6 and 4 damage on the roll of a 7+. The same applies for armour.

This idea was inspired by Maelstrom, which has several different versions of each weapon, all with different damage rolls - for example, there are 7 different versions of swords.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Re: High quality/low quality weapons and armour

Post by Slloyd14 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:18 pm

This could also be applied to items such as healing potions or spells that have a numerical value if 1-6 is too big. So, you could find a healing potion that restores 3 stamina points on the roll of a 1-3 4 stamina points on the roll of a 4-5 and 5 stamina points on the roll of a 6.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:50 pm

I like this idea!
Tentez votre chance...

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:12 pm

You do have a lot of flexibility.

You could have a good quality sword that does 3 on a roll of a 1, but no other changes. Or one which does an extra point of damage on a 6/7.

Slightly more expensive, but only slightly more effective. Good for those heroes with a bit of spare cash but no magical weapon.

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:49 am

That's a great idea. Also, a well made and balanced weapon might be much less likely to cause a fumble, e.g. ignore fumbles unless one of the opposing attack dice rolled a 6 that round.

Also, high quality armour might mitigate the encumbrance penalty to some extent, and a good shield would be less likely to break.

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:56 pm

I've made a french translation of your original post on the french forum to see what kind of feedback it can have there :)

Here's the link

http://forum.scriptarium.fr/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=999
Tentez votre chance...

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:58 pm

In the Titan book on page 105 ( old dungeoneer sized version) are the dwarves weapons and armour side bar these would be good candidates for high quality weaponry, armour etc as would eleven bows :D

Pożeracz zwłok

Post by Pożeracz zwłok » Fri May 31, 2013 8:57 pm

AVE!

Is there ANY possibility of exceeding damage string (or rather rank?)? Normally damage ladder consists of 7 spokes. Do magic affects it (spreads to, say, 8?). Perhaps exctremely good, enchanted weapon:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7...8
2 3 3 3 3 4 5...6

...aha = +1 from enchantment :)
Death to one of dying mercenaries:
"I'm going to cast two 6-sided dice. If the score be higher than 12 you're safe"