House Rule : Pushing limits

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
d6&d6
Adventurer

House Rule : Pushing limits

Post by d6&d6 » Wed May 15, 2013 4:00 am

Hi

I had this house rule in mind that I want to share with you. It's inspired from my real life, when I have to get to work earlier in the morning but still have to prepare my childrens for the daycare. When I do this, I'm physically pushing myself to succeed because everything is kind of rushed. Afterward, I'm just a little more burned for the rest of the day. Big deal! Here it is!

Pushing limits : A player character may use up STAMINA points to enhance his SKILL attribute in one test. Let's say two for one. When doing this, if he does a fumble, he end up losing a point of SKILL for straining himself.

Any opinions or comments are welcome

François
Tentez votre chance...

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Re: House Rule : Pushing limits

Post by MountainPeak11 » Wed May 15, 2013 9:23 am

d6&d6 wrote:Hi

I had this house rule in mind that I want to share with you. It's inspired from my real life, when I have to get to work earlier in the morning but still have to prepare my childrens for the daycare. When I do this, I'm physically pushing myself to succeed because everything is kind of rushed. Afterward, I'm just a little more burned for the rest of the day. Big deal! Here it is!

Pushing limits : A player character may use up STAMINA points to enhance his SKILL attribute in one test. Let's say two for one. When doing this, if he does a fumble, he end up losing a point of SKILL for straining himself.

Any opinions or comments are welcome

François
Sounds like a nice additional Talent. :)

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Wed May 15, 2013 10:31 am

Yes Talent would be a good way to go. What would it be called - 'Resourcefulness'? Otherwise I suppose stuff like this is always at the Director's discretion - could be appropriate for some skill tests but not others.

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:37 pm

MountainPeak11 wrote:Sounds like a nice additional Talent. :)
Looking back at this, you're both right Mp and Torus.

But to give every character this desperate measure at their reach without having the talent, maybe It could be using 4 STAMINA for a SKILL point. On a failure, they lose 1 SKILL for being strained, on a fumble 2 SKILL points. It would be for them quite a gamble

I'll see how it goes in my game if I give it a try. For a name... I'll think about that too.

Thanks
Tentez votre chance...

Pożeracz zwłok

Post by Pożeracz zwłok » Fri May 31, 2013 7:16 pm

Ave!

Idea is really pretty good, but relation 4 to 1 is to depressive for player character. Such a... sacrifice (Combat Sacrifice - a'propos mentioned above term) does cost 2 out of 8-14 STAMINA points. One strike - 2 points less. What about 3-4 strikes at the enemy with STAMINA, say, 30? :) Who will be burried 6 feet under ground quicker?

Sorry about my english, i'm working all the time...

regards
Death to one of dying mercenaries:
"I'm going to cast two 6-sided dice. If the score be higher than 12 you're safe"

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:06 am

Pożeracz zwłok wrote:Idea is really pretty good, but relation 4 to 1 is to depressive for player character. Such a... sacrifice (Combat Sacrifice - a'propos mentioned above term) does cost 2 out of 8-14 STAMINA points. One strike - 2 points less. What about 3-4 strikes at the enemy with STAMINA, say, 30? :) Who will be burried 6 feet under ground quicker?
Your english is good. At least for someone like me who speaks french :) We do have a way to communicate!

My suggestion, I havent tried it yet. Maybe it will never come. If a talent is to be made with it, I do agree. Your point is right but the pushing limits is for really desperate measure only. The idea is to offer some tactical options to pull the best of critical situations.

To tell the truth, I still use LUCK for that. If it happens to reach the point that one of my player is really getting out of LUCK, I will suggest this pushing limit option.
Tentez votre chance...

Pożeracz zwłok

Post by Pożeracz zwłok » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:44 am

Ave!
To tell the truth, I still use LUCK for that
...for increasing damages? In what matter? Do you simply "strech" damage ladder to 8, or perhaps through adding +1 to the dice?
"I'm going to cast two 6-sided dice. If the score be higher than 12 you're safe"

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:22 pm

Pożeracz zwłok wrote:Ave!
To tell the truth, I still use LUCK for that
...for increasing damages? In what matter? Do you simply "strech" damage ladder to 8, or perhaps through adding +1 to the dice?
For me LUCK is a get away for any critical situations. I use LUCK to sometimes simulate what "fate/plot/hero/karma/force points" does in other games. For the damage, I do like it is in the book and works pretty well! Combats are already deadly. The only thing to prevent this deadliness is to have a priest around otherwise STAMINA goes down rapidly... for my part, getting the damage chart to 8 is not necessary.
Tentez votre chance...

Pożeracz zwłok

Post by Pożeracz zwłok » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:04 pm

Ave!
a priest around otherwise STAMINA goes down rapidly...
I have to say sth honestly - when one inflicts 2-4 damages in contrast to 8-14 STAMINA (and further armour) combat engine doesn't look deadly. Although perhaps I'm wrong (till now I didn't play yet).

d6&d6
Adventurer

Post by d6&d6 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:15 pm

Pożeracz zwłok wrote:Ave!
a priest around otherwise STAMINA goes down rapidly...
I have to say sth honestly - when one inflicts 2-4 damages in contrast to 8-14 STAMINA (and further armour) combat engine doesn't look deadly. Although perhaps I'm wrong (till now I didn't play yet).
One kill blow are rare but when you are too much on the losing side in a fight, it hurts!
Tentez votre chance...

nicholaslim

Post by nicholaslim » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:15 pm

Honestly, I like it. Will consider employing it as a house rule.

Somehow, I felt that it is different from Luck employment. The latter sets the results of one encounter whereas the pushing limit should be in a duration till exhaustion.

Hero rerolls a damage roll by using Luck to score a more serious injury to his opponent.

Hero employs Limit Break talent and sacrifice 4 stamina for 1 skill point increase over the next 4 hours (1 stamina loss for 1 hour). He can do this 2 times before he is exhausted and requires full rest otherwise he will instead lose 2-4 skill points (depending on how many times he performs the Limit Break talent) till he fully rested.