Alternative Sorcery apprentice rules

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
Slloyd14
Site Admin

Alternative Sorcery apprentice rules

Post by Slloyd14 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:12 pm

Hi all! I have just received my Sorcery! spell book and I enjoyed all of the alternative rules. The apprentice rules are good but they may be too weak, so I've come up with a stronger version.

I have split the Sorcery! spells into 6 groups, each one with one 4 cost spell, two 2 cost spells and five 1 cost spells (I counted ZED as a 1 cost spell for this, mainly for convenience but with the justification that sorcerers will barely use it so it isn't all that powerful).

Every point in Magic - sorcery you take allows you to choose one group of spells, allowing you to cast all 48 when you have 6 points and then become an arch-sorcerer with 7 points (another great rule).

I have attempted to give the groups a certain flavourful theme whilst making sure that there are some good combat related ones in each group. Here are mine (of course, this is just a suggestion - you can split your groups up whichever way you want).

Group 1: ZAP, FOG, DIM, RAZ, HUF, ZEN, NIF, YAZ
Group 2: HOT, BIG, DOP, POP, SUN, YOB, GUM, YAP
Group 3: WAL, MAG, SUS, DOC, RES, PEP, NIP, MUD
Group 4: FOF, SAP, FAL, WOK, KIN, GOB, RAP, WOK
Group 5: DUM, SIX, DUD, GOD, NAP, JIG, KID, GAK
Group 6: LAW, HOW, DOZ, TEL, FAR, FIX, ZIP, ZED
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.