The Dreaming Sands - playtest

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
Nuvole!
Archmage

The Dreaming Sands - playtest

Post by Nuvole! » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:02 pm

Yesterday I run (for the second time in my life) "The Dreaming Sands", the prequel of "The Riddling Reaver", from the Warlock magazine #13.

The first time that I run this adventure, I did it following faithfully the adventure (starting from Port Blacksand, using Angelica NPC as instructed, giving out just the hints as instructed, etc.), but didn't work out very well.

This time I decided to change it quite a lot and it worked out much better.
Here are my changes: I staged it in Kallamehr (it fit better as a prequel for the Riddling Reaver than Port Blacksand...), I adapted the areas outside the city to Kallamehr's region characteristics (i.e. it's a long strip of land... more detail below...), I introduced first of all the Cult of Logaan by having bizarre masked preachers walking the street preaching loud the principles of Logaan (Fate and Chance above Good and Evil, fundamentally...) and only then I introduced the nightameres thingy (hinting pretty clearly that there was a relation between when these preachers showed up in numbers in Kallamehr and when nightmares begun becoming true), I used Angelica much more sparingly (just a bit in the beginning, with the suggestion that the castle was on the nother coast etc. and then at the very end) and not like a kind of baby sitter.
In the map of the encounters I put Kallamehr at the west point of the peninsula (1) and then I put the other 8 encounters one after the other, 4 on the north coast and 4 on the south coast. I put the Ogre (with the pipes) next to the Lord of Gond (so he can use the pipes to defend himself from the monstrosity) and I gave him a bit of loose tongue, so if the right question was asked, he'd say about the Lord of Gond (on the other side of the Lord of Gond of course I put the almost-leprechauns for the same reason...)

The results were definitely much better!

Did anyone else run "the Dreaming Sands"?

I heard that making a new version of the Riddling Reaver is on Arion's cards... I wonder if The Dreaming Sands can be included as well, maybe incorporating some of the above suggestions.... I believe that the Riddling Reaver could be revisited a bit in a similar way...

EDIT: I failed to mention that of course if we stage the adventure in Kallamehr the characters are not hired by an emissary of Lord Azzur, but by an emissary of Lady Carolina (Hammet? Dappa?) or, less likely, of the Baron Bluestone.
Last edited by Nuvole! on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

torus
Knight

Re: The Dreaming Sands - playtest

Post by torus » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:24 am

Never played it - sounds pretty good though. Better than the Riddling Reaver, which I did run, and has to be one of the most railroady campaigns ever, even by FF standards. Fun at first but I remember the lack of any genuine choices got a bit tiresome. If it ever were republished, I suggest a substantial rewrite.

Pożeracz zwłok

Post by Pożeracz zwłok » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:11 am

How did you run it?
This issue is unavailable :( http://www.fightingfantazine.co.uk/page1.html
10th is the last one. Perhaps you found it in another location?
Death to one of dying mercenaries:
"I'm going to cast two 6-sided dice. If the score be higher than 12 you're safe"

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:50 pm

Warlock 13 dose exist I have a copy of it though I havent looked at it for years will check it out :wink:

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:47 pm

Pożeracz zwłok wrote:How did you run it?
This issue is unavailable :( http://www.fightingfantazine.co.uk/page1.html
10th is the last one. Perhaps you found it in another location?
You are looking at Fighting Fantazine, while The Warlock is a much older magazine.
I believe that you need to find a second hand copy somewhere. Not impossible.
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:50 pm

torus wrote:Never played it - sounds pretty good though. Better than the Riddling Reaver, which I did run, and has to be one of the most railroady campaigns ever, even by FF standards. Fun at first but I remember the lack of any genuine choices got a bit tiresome. If it ever were republished, I suggest a substantial rewrite.
The Riddling Reaver is a great and visionary adventure, but requires some fixes to give its best in my very humble opinion.
If both the Dreaming Sands and the Riddling Reaver are re-published (together?), maybe it could be a great opportunity to rectify a few issues to allow them shine as they could.

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:18 pm

Warlock 13 was the final issue of that fabled magazine and was known as the horror issue it has an orrange cove and a demonic face learing out of it. Just re read the adventure and agree with hullalla needs tweaking but could fit well with the Riddling Reaver re write :D

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:05 am

It is the kind of adventure that I like: you can try and solve it the hard way by hacking and slashing like a mad (and, most likely, fail), or you can solve it by using your brain and snapping your fingers...
I think it's a good one for a one-evening adventure.
Last edited by Nuvole! on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicholaslim

Post by nicholaslim » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:44 pm

Any chance of getting this adventure? I've bought the Riddling Reaver but will like to get my hands on this adventure as a prequel.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:57 pm

Have a look around and I'm pretty sure you'll find chances of buying second hand Warlock #13 for very affordable prices.

In both the Dreaming Sands and the Riddling Reiver there is one "baby sitting" NPC (Angelica in the dreaming sands and Dappa in the riddling reiver), that I'd suggest would be better using much much more sparingly, otherwise it becomes too raildoady...

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:32 pm

nicholaslim wrote:Any chance of getting this adventure? I've bought the Riddling Reaver but will like to get my hands on this adventure as a prequel.
Then as a sequel you could convert the Slaves of the Abyss gamebook... :wink:

...and maybe at that point you'll be abe to have a look at converting Magehunter...

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:48 pm

To be honest I'd rather have new adventures written for AFF2 than another conversion. I don't mean to knock the Reaver & the gamebooks, but things have moved on. My impression is that most players now don't need the kind of hand-holding that was thought necessary for FF players 25 yes ago, and could handle something a little more challenging in terms of plot.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:57 am

As far as I know, for AFF2 we have just ONE conversion (the Crown of Kings).
If you want to have a campaign centred on the Riddling Reaver, I mentioned the reference books from canon.
Of curse I'd like to have new adventures as well, but it makes sense to mix and match and not to contradict the canon (otherwise we can get rid of Titan altogether).

nicholaslim

Post by nicholaslim » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:03 pm

Hullalla wrote:Have a look around and I'm pretty sure you'll find chances of buying second hand Warlock #13 for very affordable prices.

In both the Dreaming Sands and the Riddling Reiver there is one "baby sitting" NPC (Angelica in the dreaming sands and Dappa in the riddling reiver), that I'd suggest would be better using much much more sparingly, otherwise it becomes too raildoady...
Tried...digging so far hasn't unearth anything. Whether locally where I am or in eBay.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:17 pm

Hullalla wrote:If both the Dreaming Sands and the Riddling Reaver are re-published (together?), maybe it could be a great opportunity to rectify a few issues to allow them shine as they could.
I recently had the (rare) chance of running a full day (until late night) session and I run the version of he Dreaming Sands (but set in Kallamehr and using Angelica very sparingly, as mentioned before) + the first part of the Ridding Reaver (i.e. when thy solved the riddles they won and banished the Riddling Reaver), but I made some mentioned adjustments to the Riddling Reaver as well. for example using very sparingly Dappa as ell. I cut down the Riddling Reaver part for timekeeping reason (the session was huge anyway, but we managed to come to an end, somehow...)

I'm convinced even more than before that if Arion Games wants to re-publish them (possibly together as a single adventure where the Dreaming Sands is optional), they could take the chance for some relatively minor modifications and the adventures will really shine.