New spell - Dragonfire

Brimgeth

New spell - Dragonfire

Post by Brimgeth » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:57 am

Hi

Here's a new spell I've been playing around with. I think I have a good balance with it; let me know what you think of it. Veterans of the Fighting Fantasy books may recognise it :D

DRAGONFIRE

The spell named Dragonfire was the magnum opus of the wizard Farrigio di Maggio. Created after years of study, di Maggio concocted the spell as a method to combat Dragons, specifically those with the ability to breath fire. The journal he wrote detailing the spell and its research is titled The Art of Dragonfire.

Dragonfire works by turning the fire breathing ability in on the targeted Dragon itself, causing the fire to burn within, creating a back blast within the beast. When the spell is cast the Dragon suffers 2d6 damage to its STAMINA score.

The potency of the spell is amplified by the fact that a wizard isn't required to spend any MAGIC points to cast it. However, this is a two edge sword in that Dragonfire requires a focus to be used for it to be successfully cast; to use the spell a wizard requires a copy of The Art of Dragonfire, of which Farrigio di Maggio produced only a few copies before he died. When the spell is cast, the text of the book is consumed by the power of the magic involved and no longer usable. Because of this, any copy of the book is considered to be a great treasure and highly sought after by procurers of arcane knowledge (it has been rumoured that a copy lies somewhere in the depths under Firetop Mountain).
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

torus
Knight

Re: New spell - Dragonfire

Post by torus » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:37 pm

That's fantastic - and it's pure FF. In fact I think I'm going to use that in the adventure I'm writing right now.

Brimgeth

Re: New spell - Dragonfire

Post by Brimgeth » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:25 am

Glad you like. I'm interested to know how your game goes when using the spell.
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."