AFF Super Heroes version

Nuvole!
Hero

AFF Super Heroes version

Post by Nuvole! » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:07 pm

I just posted the idea of making a horror version of AFF (besides the Sci-Fi version, already being prepared) viewtopic.php?f=13&t=584 and, while I'm at it, why not launching the idea of the super heroes version :idea:
There is the appointment with FEAR as a starting point, but then there will be some further work required to develop this into a fully dedicated ruleset variant and setting...
What do you think?
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Nuvole!
Hero

Re: AFF Super Heroes version

Post by Nuvole! » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:34 pm

If I remember it right, RossN is a super hero expert... :wink:
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

RossN

Post by RossN » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:34 am

I don't remember saying any such thing. :D

I think the system as is actually works quite well building street level heroes. Just allow a hero to pick more than one talent.

For instance a character with Combat Reactions, Fast Healer, Strongarm and Swashbuckler is essentially Buffy the Vampire Slayer. :)

Super equipment like Wonder Woman's lasso or Captain America's shield can be played with using the rules for magic items.

Things are trickier with truly impressive abilities like flight or heat vision - in those cases I'd suggest trying to build the character as a New Race (admittedly difficult if someone wants to play a Kryptonian or the Hulk.)

Mr Nibbs
Knight

Post by Mr Nibbs » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:43 pm

On your sci-fi horror thread I suggested it should be set on Titan if it is to be AFF.
Do you imagine a Titan in the future?

Nuvole!
Hero

Post by Nuvole! » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:26 pm

Titan City is arguably Titan in the future... :wink:

Mr Nibbs
Knight

Post by Mr Nibbs » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:30 pm

Hullalla wrote:Titan City is arguably Titan in the future... :wink:
What era did you have in mind?

Nuvole!
Hero

Post by Nuvole! » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:34 pm

I'm not very good with super heroes settings, but I think it makes sense to go for a contemporary era or slightly futuristic?...

RossN

Post by RossN » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:03 am

There are few good options for super hero settings. Here are the common 'historical' eras:

Golden Age (1938 to the early 50's)

Notable Characters: Superman, Batman & Robin, Captain Marvel, Captain America, Wonder Woman

The start of superheroes as we know them. Golden Age heroes tended to be strong jawed, two fisted heroic types with relatively simple powersets and origins. While heroes could be very powerful (this was the era that gave us Superman) they were mostly straightforward in their power types which were usually physical (strength, speed etc.) rather than mental. Mentalist type heroes did exist - think the Shadow or Mandrake the Magician but their abilities were more on the Jedi Mind trick level than all powerful psychics. More heroes had mystical origins than in later eras and if science was the cause of anyone getting powers it was usually thanks to 'chemicals'. Apart from the Last Son of Krypton himself alien heroes were kind of rare in this era - a hero or villain was more likely to be from a lost human civilisation on Earth. Finally this was the big era of patriotic themed heroes while villains were as likely to be mobsters, Nazi spies and mad scientists as actual powered supervillains.

Silver Age (1956 to 1970)
Notable Characters: The Martian Manhunter, Supergirl, Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, the Incredible Hulk

Science! (note exclamantion point) was the big thing during the Silver Age and no it is not a coincidence this happened during the Space Race. This was the era when alien themed characters and mutations really started to hit it big and 'radiation' became the new 'learned mystical secrets in the Orient' as a source of powers. It was also the era Bat-Shark Repellant and dozen different varieties of Kryptonite; campness and whimsicality was a big thing during this period. Powers went really overboard during this time: Superman could jungle planets, the Flash could run several times the speed of light etc. Villains began to move away from the mad scientist figures that had been popular in the Golden Age and more towards supervillains as we know them now.

Bronze Age (1970 to 1986)
Notable Characters: Wolverine, Storm, the Punisher

The Bronze Age continued a lot of themes from the Silver Age but in a more serious, socially relevant tone. This was the era when minority heroes finally began to emerge in a bigger way and the comics were not afraid to tackle topics like drugs and alcholism. After the wildly optimistic Silver Age it was a more downbeat and cynical era; this was the period when Superman got depowered, when Gwen Stacy died and when Supergirl and the Flash lost their lives trying to save the universe.

(To be continued...)

Mr Nibbs
Knight

Post by Mr Nibbs » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:42 am

RossN wrote:The start of superheroes as we know them.
Most of those on your list are comic book superheroes. As the times changes, so did the medium. There were plenty of "made for tv" superheroes who also had board games, toys and annuals. Now there are superhero video games, on-line games and CGI movies from around the world, easily available. Perhaps the concept of a superhero has changed?

In all of them, the super-humans, mutated humans, aliens and gadgets have been used to reflect real-world knowledge and events, and that hasn't changed very much. However, these are based on real-world history, so maybe using Titan's history (there's enough of it) to create a future world would be more AFF?

RossN

Post by RossN » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:46 pm

All of those on my list are comic book heroes
That was the original medium superheroes appeared in and has been main force for innovation the decades - but I'd disagree that their appearance in different mediums has altered the concept all that much. Even back in the 40's you had superheroes being big in radio and the cinema.

That said how about introducing Earth style Supers into current Titan? How would Batman (or a Batman type character) handle a Night Demon, Red Dragon or Brain Slayer?

Mr Nibbs
Knight

Post by Mr Nibbs » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:46 pm

RossN wrote:
All of those on my list are comic book heroes
That was the original medium superheroes appeared in and has been main force for innovation the decades - but I'd disagree that their appearance in different mediums has altered the concept all that much. Even back in the 40's you had superheroes being big in radio and the cinema.

That said how about introducing Earth style Supers into current Titan? How would Batman (or a Batman type character) handle a Night Demon, Red Dragon or Brain Slayer?
The comic strip writers were often influenced by earlier movies and stories.
Wiki has some interesting background info. Kane and Finger drew upon contemporary 1930s popular culture for inspiration regarding much of the Bat-Man's look, personality, methods and weaponry. Details find predecessors in pulp fiction, comic strips, newspaper headlines, and autobiographical details referring to Kane himself. As an aristocratic hero with a double identity, the Bat-Man had predecessors in the Scarlet Pimpernel (created by Baroness Emmuska Orczy, 1903) and Zorro (created by Johnston McCulley, 1919). Like them, he performed his heroic deeds in secret, averted suspicion by playing the fool in public, and marked his work with a signature symbol. Kane specifically noted the influence of the films The Mark of Zorro (1920) and The Bat Whispers (1930) in the creation of the character's iconography. Finger, drawing inspiration from pulp heroes like Doc Savage, The Shadow, and Sherlock Holmes, made the character a master sleuth.

It would get Battered! :wink:

Enora55

Post by Enora55 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:36 pm

Hey, guys! Nowadays, both children and adults are crazy about superheroes, they watch TV series, films and video games based on the plot of DC and Marvel comics but what is so especial and enchanting in these unreal creatures that all adore them? Follow to find out the answer http://livecustomwriting.com/blog/age-o ... ics-movies

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:16 am

okay so picking 3 powerful superheroes: superman, the incredible hulk and wolverine...

imagine the scene when they grab an enemy which isn't too powerful but requires magic weapons to harm, like a crypt stalker or one of the demons.

that would be quite funny I think. :lol: hulk can smash all he wants, but he cannot harm the bad guy!

as an aside I would think a futuristic Titan would be a cool project

ella7382

Post by ella7382 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:49 am

Hope that it will bring only positive changes. But, anyway, thank you for posting the truthful information. Good luck for the forum members!